• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

discomute

Reaction score
Well one set is too small, one is too big. Waist, hips, thighs in from 0.5-2inch of my pants. Nevertheless, I get you, the pants are close to getting remade and $120 is either reasonable or close to. I'm not saving $50 by continuing to shop around, which is basically my question.

So thanks everyone, and thanks for the other suit recommendations. Yes it's a bit of a struggle relying on shop advice, I just got hosed by some a TM shirt attendant, but anyway, thanks again.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look at somewhere like MJ Bale
FWIW the MJ Bale jacket I bought recently in Melbourne is one of the worst made pieces of clothing I've bought (which is a shame as I rather liked the stuff I bought in the mid 2010s). The fabric is pilling and looks furry after just a half dozen outings, and the workmanship inside is very poor. Here is the outside pocket, turned inside out for your consideration:

1564132459291.png

Epicure

Reaction score
My tailor makes a Roman styled suit...think brioni cut. I have tried many times to get him to make me a Neapolitan styled suit/jacket but he flat out refused. He thinks it looks cheap
I can understand that. That is a large difference in the method of construction to get two very different styles of suit. To some extent, if a tailor has a house style they are comfortable with, there are usually good reasons to refrain from trying to push them too far from that.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can understand that. That is a large difference in the method of construction to get two very different styles of suit. To some extent, if a tailor has a house style they are comfortable with, there are usually good reasons to refrain from trying to push them too far from that.
Yeah in the end his style works well with the strong shoulder sbpl look which is my standard go to anyway. I wanted to experiment in the more casual Neapolitan style but he wasn’t so keen. Another thing he was particular on was fabric...would not touch stuff below 250 grams which is fine by me He has done a soft shoulder for me which looks good.

Nolvadex

Reaction score

Was watching the ABC and this bloke popped up. Isn't he an Aussie member?

Epicure

Reaction score
Yeah in the end his style works well with the strong shoulder sbpl look which is my standard go to anyway. I wanted to experiment in the more casual Neapolitan style but he wasn’t so keen. Another thing he was particular on was fabric...would not touch stuff below 250 grams which is fine by me He has done a soft shoulder for me which looks good.
Gotcha. It is nice to have options. Part of that ideal I mentioned above would be to have a go-to tailor for the soft, relaxed styles for more casual use, and another go-to for the times when a strong and commanding silhouette may be preferable. Regarding tailoring of very lightweight cloth, I understand your tailor's hesitation. More often than not if I feel anything below 270-280g, I am immediately put off. I have a strong preference for heavier cloth.

charger

Reaction score
I know, I know. Everything is driving me to RMs but I just really, really, feel that Chelsea is a farming boot. I suppose though that there is a logic to it. I'm happy to wear it in any circumstance other than a suit, so if work doesn't pan out I still have them. And if it does, well who cares if I think I look silly, as long as I'm fitting in. RM's are out of my price range, though I understand since I've got weeks maybe months to sort this I should be able to find something decent online.

If you are still on the hunt for shoes, I would highly recommend buying RMs from their outlet stores. They sell Comfort Craftsman/Craftsman for $400, and sometimes cheaper (either way, within your price range). The quality of the shoe is no different to a $600 pair - perhaps some slight scratch on the leather only noticeable in bright light and if you are searching for one - and certainly indistinguishable from a full price pair after even a day or two of normal use. They do punch a small hole (about 2mm diameter) in the leather at the inside top of the boot - again, completely unnoticeable - to mark them as an outlet pair. Sometimes they won't come with a box or shoe bags - if so, just ask if they have any spares when you pick them up.

The outlet stores get new stock on Wednesday/Thursday. They also will ship shoes between their stores for free. So if you know your size, colour and model, call up each store weekly, and if they have what you want they'll ship it to your nearest store for you to pick up. It took about 2 weeks to find Chestnut Comfort Craftsmen in a 10 - probably one of the most popular combinations.

discomute

Reaction score
If you are still on the hunt for shoes, I would highly recommend buying RMs from their outlet stores. They sell Comfort Craftsman/Craftsman for $400, and sometimes cheaper (either way, within your price range). The quality of the shoe is no different to a $600 pair - perhaps some slight scratch on the leather only noticeable in bright light and if you are searching for one - and certainly indistinguishable from a full price pair after even a day or two of normal use. They do punch a small hole (about 2mm diameter) in the leather at the inside top of the boot - again, completely unnoticeable - to mark them as an outlet pair. Sometimes they won't come with a box or shoe bags - if so, just ask if they have any spares when you pick them up.

The outlet stores get new stock on Wednesday/Thursday. They also will ship shoes between their stores for free. So if you know your size, colour and model, call up each store weekly, and if they have what you want they'll ship it to your nearest store for you to pick up. It took about 2 weeks to find Chestnut Comfort Craftsmen in a 10 - probably one of the most popular combinations.

Absolute gun of a tip, thanks so much for that.

I have officially filed the shoes quest in the "too hard" basket.
1) Not enough job security to buy an expensive set of dress shoes I love
2) Not enough cash to buy an expensive set of boots just because I love them
3) If i could get one that covers both i would pull the trigger, but i would like at least security or cash before I was to get a Chelsea, given I "like not love" them
C) My new theory is keep wearing my black dress shoes, should get another couple of months, by then I will have a better idea of my future and I can reopen this quest

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own any Bryceland Denim? Curious as to how they fit and what you think of them in comparison to other Japanese denim eg Sugar Cane.

discomute

Reaction score
Hey guys got a question, I hate ironing proper cotton shirts, even 'easy care' or whatever they are called just kill me. Use loads of ironing spray and I can do it but it takes 30 minutes to get it looking good.

Went with TM Lewin 'non-iron' and they need to be ironed but it's a quick easy process, and importantly, they actually stay ironed throughout the day.

My issue is that they seem to never have any decent range in my 16.5-superfitted category. I was thinking of trying the 'easy-iron' but was worried it might be crap like most companies versions.

Thoughts on either TM Lewin easy-iron or a different brands shirts that I should try?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads