• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another way of looking at Bondi is that people are reacting in fear. The beach is a known safe environment so I’ll go there. Logically its flying in the face of the obvious. However we are a herd animal at heart and herd mentality promotes the notion of safety in numbers.

If shutting it all down for three to six months (I hope not) deescalates the potential death toll. Then it is what it is. Or as Nike say “just do it.”

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taken an hour after the presser today. What is wrong with people?
I was talking to my wife yesterday about a potential lockdown/quarantine in Australia and she was saying that she doesn't think it will work - it's incompatible with the general Australian mindset.

Having a look at that footage, it's hard to conclude that she was wrong!

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The disregard for public health warnings or authority is not unique to Australia, Italy is perhaps a paragon of thinking you know more than someone more qualified. Look where it's landed them.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Taken an hour after the presser today. What is wrong with people?
I liked the footage of Vic police walking shoulder to shoulder while the formation of a new police unit to enforce separation regs was announced. Might have been stock footage, in which case it was a pretty bad editorial choice.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The disregard for public health warnings or authority is not unique to Australia, Italy is perhaps a paragon of thinking you know more than someone more qualified. Look where it's landed them.
Italy didn't have any other reference though as I think a lot of the world at that point was still 'well that's China that won't happen here'. But after China, Italy and Iran all wracking up staggering tallies in such a short time frame, we're still here just like all good bro.

Scuppers

Reaction score
Italy didn't have any other reference though as I think a lot of the world at that point was still 'well that's China that won't happen here'. But after China, Italy and Iran all wracking up staggering tallies in such a short time frame, we're still here just like all good bro.
Systemic racism. Yay...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australia has had a history of institutional racism. Australia when I grew up as a teenager in the 70’s was incredibly racist. Greeks Italians were Wogs. Chinese were slopes chinks. Any one who wasn‘t white was Other. The list goes on and on.

I remember coming home form my new primary school aged 8 after we moved from Bondi to a reservation (housing commission estate) in South Coogee asking my mother what a Wog was. Why? Someone said I had a wog surname but I didn't look like a wog. The old man replied laughing a wog was wealthy oriental gentleman.

Then White Australia discovered the other had interesting food and things changed, this was also helped by the election of The Great Helmsman in 1972-75 with its cultural awakening and the voice of the other being heard at last.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for online button purchase?

Require something like this to replace on a shirt.
28358F5B-C203-4CCE-8F81-81412943A6F9.jpeg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Albert Uderzo, co-creator of Asterix, dead at the age of 92:

Saw that yesterday. Bastard. Asterix was an obsession of mine every since I was introduced to them by my year 7 French teacher. I devoured every single book as soon as they came out. At some point I donated them (and all my Tintins), but I wish I hadn't.

skeen7908

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Australia has had a history of institutional racism. Australia when I grew up as a teenager in the 70’s was incredibly racist. Greeks Italians were Wogs. Chinese were slopes chinks. Any one who wasn‘t white was Other. The list goes on and on.

I remember coming home form my new primary school aged 8 after we moved from Bondi to a reservation (housing commission estate) in South Coogee asking my mother what a Wog was. Why? Someone said I had a wog surname but I didn't look like a wog. The old man replied laughing a wog was wealthy oriental gentleman.

Then White Australia discovered the other had interesting food and things changed, this was also helped by the election of The Great Helmsman in 1972-75 with its cultural awakening and the voice of the other being heard at last.
Really though, in total they were happier times

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.