• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't tried BB, might have a look. Not a huge fan of their collars and so many of their shirts are the 'non iron' bollocks from memory.

I find that both the Regent/Milano button-down collars, and the Red Fleece collars look nice without a tie. However, when wearing a tie, the Regent/Milano button-down collars don't curve open enough. However, the Red Fleece button-down collars look nice with a tie and the collars have a nice curve.

You're certainly correct that more and more of the Regent/Milano shirts are non-iron. I'm not sure about the oxford-cloth shirts, but a lot of the poplin shirts are advertised as non-iron.

Brooks brothers (when on sale)? Mine have all been bomb proof though sleeves are T. rex short

Red Fleece? Or the regular BB line?

The sleeves on the Red Fleece shirts tend to be a bit shorter than the regular line. If you get their business shirts, rather than the sports shirts, you can get different sleeve lengths (ie 16" collar with 34" or 36" sleeves etc). However, the sports shirts only have one sleeve length for each of the S, M, L, XL sizes.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went into BB in Kyoto meh! Harvie & Hudson have had some decent specials of late. Akways found them to be good value for money.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here wear Yellow OCBDs? Thinking about trying one out.
I don’t know about you Fox but I only wear yellow linen shirts in summer when I’ve got a tan. Never considered yellow autumn/winter colour.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've accidentally purchased yellow Hertling trousers thinking they were ivory (overexposed eBay photos... and misleading description!) and I can't wear them with anything - very hard colour to pull off I think if the light is good as it always is down under...

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fxh is a fan of the ‘Chet Baker with a severe bout of jaundice’ look i.e. the yellow shirt.

Alternatively, just stop washing your white shirts for a few weeks and see how you like the new colour.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world (Tokyo) is a very strange place.

1D819EFE-493E-4093-B8D4-51468A579837.jpeg

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one with blue stripes. Casual. No tie. Works well with my aubergine coloured chinos (doesn't everyone have a pair?) and works well with red.

Yellow shirts can be a difficult colour. Against the face. Can give you that Chet Baker on a bad day look a bit to easily. However ecru with the right jacket etc can look very spiffy. One of the few times when all that How To Dress Your Season/Skin Tone bulldust - is important. You have to try it to see. But its a bit hard to go into, say, American Tailors - hold up an ecru shirt against your face and take a selfie without incurring the wrath of Sebastian etc.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies regarding the yellow oxford, I've gone off the idea, especially when thinking about fxh's sentiments around skin tone, however, I do like GF's idea of a yellow linen shirt, which I may try out come summer.

Self plug, I'm selling a Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph on eBay.

Also listed a Spiewak M43 and N3-B.

Last edited:

alanm

Reaction score
Hi all, I've received a gift card for David Jones from a well meaning relative - but I haven't been in there in years - is there anything worth getting? I thought they used to have some nice shoes, but looking online it looks like a large collection of Lloyds and a few Loakes...

Open to suggestions - if the advice is to just get sheets or overpriced electronics, then I'll understand.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've received a gift card for David Jones from a well meaning relative - but I haven't been in there in years - is there anything worth getting?

Open to suggestions - if the advice is to just get sheets or overpriced electronics, then I'll understand.

I suppose it depends upon whether you can use the gift card at the concessions in David Jones - places like Brooks Brothers or Polo Ralph Lauren that are run by the businesses themselves, rather than run by DJs.

alanm

Reaction score
I suppose it depends upon whether you can use the gift card at the concessions in David Jones - places like Brooks Brothers or Polo Ralph Lauren that are run by the businesses themselves, rather than run by DJs.

Forgot that they have separate concessions - I'll wander in on Monday in Melbourne and see what's there in person. Thanks for the reminder - their online store doesn't really give you the impression that there is much there at all.

Decreased

Reaction score
Hi all, I've received a gift card for David Jones from a well meaning relative - but I haven't been in there in years - is there anything worth getting? I thought they used to have some nice shoes, but looking online it looks like a large collection of Lloyds and a few Loakes...

Sydney conservative business dress has a few Cheaney and a few RM Williams. The loakes are rarely 1880, I would pass. Church's too, but the premium hurts less on the first two brands.

Canali, some zegna and I think Hackett or some other brands like that. I don't buy much from there in that price range.

I'd say @Journeyman is right and Brooks Brothers is a good bet. Although I've bagged them in the past, I do wear the few pieces I have from there (on clearance) quite a lot and that would probably be the first stop.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads