• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
774 ABC Melbourne
4 hrs ·
One of our favourite sports reporters Steve Pearce has been spotted in the newsroom wearing a blue suit with brown shoes. ‪#‎Red‬ has declared this a fashion faux pas. What do you think? What sartorial trends have you seen that you find confounding or simply wrong? Thanks for being a good sport, Steve!
774 ABC Melbourne's photo.

https://www.facebook.com/774ABCMelbourne/

I heard that this morning. Who would take Red Symons' fashion advice?
In this case he was right/correct. They've buried my comment. Notice all the silly comments from women saying it looks great.

NOTE TO YOUNG PLAYERS: Do Not Take advice from women on men's clothing.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark brown is fine.
Tan, like he has, is just silly

Here's what I posted on ABC farce book: Tell me I'm wrong.
Tan shoes is the least of the problems this goose has. Worsted peak lapel single breasted suit with casual un-ironed open necked shirt! Trousers too long and bunched up on shoes like they belong to someone 10cm taller, ditto jacket sleeves too long.

He should return the crumpled suit back to his taller brother and try to dress smart casual.

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hrmm in theory I agree with your comments fxh but in practice, peak/lapel vs notch lapel, no one but us cares or notices that. The true stand out crime is the shoes.

Agree, dark brown and navy is to clothing what chocolate is to strawberries but tan is a stand out mess.

What's the general rule, shoes shouldn't be lighter than trousers or something to that effect.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peaked vs notched is a bit of a non issue. Possible to argue peaked is slightly more "formal"

But really all nuanced arguments are off point - the guy is a train wreck trying to look "casual" in an ill fitting worsted suit - he's neither fish nor fowl.

He should lose the suit and wear jeans and sneakers and t shirt and 4 days growth like all the rest of the sloppy ABC staffers.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's the general rule, shoes shouldn't be lighter than trousers or something to that effect.

The general rule - well my general rule - is that the shoes should not be the focus of the outfit.
They should not draw the gaze of the onlooker.
They should provide a solid platform for the rest of the body and outfit to look comfortable and not badly /tenuously anchored to earth or conversely not look as if weighed down and too clompy. This will be modified by many things, not the least being body type ( heavy or light) , height, time of day, context etc.

Darker shoes than trousers enable this well in a more formal.business context.

OTOH in summer or more casual outfits one might wish to contrast each element. Say tan footwear with blue jeans.

In this context white, off white, sand coloured or tan footwear has a well deserved place.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

In this case he was right/correct. They've buried my comment. Notice all the silly comments from women saying it looks great.

NOTE TO YOUNG PLAYERS: Do Not Take advice from women on men's clothing.

The best thing to take advice from women, is on other women.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Exactly I notice Rupert got married with brown in town

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My preference is to have peak lapel with everything. Suck it fxhy!

Last edited:

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The best thing to take advice from women, is on other women.

Naaaaah. Whatever womanly advice most women give you, do the exact opposite.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who describes himself as an invariant blazer wearer. On his travels he scours markets for old brass military buttons which he then has the Mrs place on his blazers for him.

Last night while going through a couple of Art boxes left over from moving. I found a set of RAAF, same design was used by RAF, black uniform buttons, as there were no Emus in my family Mrs GF concluded they must have come from one of her aunts former husbands. There pictured bellow and wonder if anyone wants them for free. Any takers? PM me if you want them.

herringbonePete

Reaction score
I like brown shoes with blue suits but the shades have to be right, fashion dictates that the blue is quite bright these days.

That suit in the photo seems rather grey.

Picked up 8 wool jumpers from Trenary, on eBay. All in good nick, most with tasteful shoulder and elbow patches, very smart with my favourite a light blue. My first bid of $30 was pushed up to a final sell price of $60. Not too shabby. Perhaps a petite style forumer looking for a tight fit put in a bid...

Last edited:

Highlands

Reaction score
The general rule - well my general rule - is that the shoes should not be the focus of the outfit.
They should not draw the gaze of the onlooker.

Somewhat agree for more formal business settings, eg. London magic circle law firm meeting.

For the most part in Australia though, considering most gents think RM Williams boots are suitable footwear for suits, shoes in a colour that doesn't clash with the suit should be ok...different perceptions for all I suppose.

Last edited:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On thing i noticed an abundance of in Sydney in January was RAF Blue cotton suits with Tan Brogues. Worked well. IMHO

Tonight dinner with Mrs GF me navy linen trousers with lavender gingham check linen shirt and brown suede brogues.

herringbonePete

Reaction score

On thing i noticed an abundance of in Sydney in January was RAF Blue cotton suits with Tan Brogues. Worked well. IMHO

Tonight dinner with Mrs GF me navy linen trousers with lavender gingham check linen shirt and brown suede brogues.

I'm spotting blue trousers in a fairly medium weight fabric, probably cotton, looks good in fact. Where are people buying these?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads