• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevernotspurs

Reaction score
chasing a new card holder as a daily driver, what's everyone using at the moment?

herringbonePete

Reaction score

I've used Katrinas before, they were alright but needed a bit of prodding. Who is this so called Sam of Docklands?

Sam has a shop in the NAB building opposite the Anz campus on Collins, served by tram from Southern Cross.

Think Katrinas has moved. I liked Sam as he didn't argue about the length I wanted, the staff at Katrinas wanted me to leave my sleeve longer than I'd have liked....

herringbonePete

Reaction score

Maybe a little short on the sleeves? I'd send it back for a quick alteration, you'll have it back in time for AW19.

It's all good, probably fine, if anything short on the length...but as I've said before all this alteration advice is often bizarre on this forum. Go to the mainstream classic forum and there are people with great looking jackets which fit and wear fine, looking great is better than a perfect fit whatever that is.
Then an expert comes along and says that there is a pile of fabric here, a tuck required here, a stance problem there. Everyone it seems has a dropped shoulder (it's awfully borderline occasionally!) I can make my jackets fit better just by sucking in my stomach and raising my chin...and when you had that jacket altered, did you adopt robo pose or not! Remember to adopt robo pose when walking down the street... ;-)

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riders are short so you can sit down with them on.

nelsypants

Reaction score
I use a La Portegna cardholder i got from nomanwalksalone. Fits a fair few cards with a central note pocket - it's stretched out with use and developed a patina (sweat stains)

nelsypants

Reaction score
I had a similar experience at Katrina's, I was game enough to ask the bloke to see what he thought should be done - he pinned my jacket just about everywhere and made me look like a pig in blanket. Had to insist I wanted to be able to move. Thanks for the suggestion, will give Sam in Docklands a go. As an aside, has anyone used "Sam the Tailor"?

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer my leather jackets to be a touch short as you have, FH.. maybe a touch longer in sleeve length on your jacket (knowing you have long long arms). the only accessory you're missing is a cafe racer.

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with Pete's point in that its easy to nit pick a fit to death, that said sleeve length in the pic looks a tad short, although prob a solid length to show some cuff if you rock a long sleeve shirt.

herringbonePete

Reaction score

I had a similar experience at Katrina's, I was game enough to ask the bloke to see what he thought should be done - he pinned my jacket just about everywhere and made me look like a pig in blanket. Had to insist I wanted to be able to move. Thanks for the suggestion, will give Sam in Docklands a go. As an aside, has anyone used "Sam the Tailor"?

As a fully paid up iGent I like cuff to show and have to wrestle with alterers to get enough to show. My experience was that sleeves seem to come back longer (did the seamstress automatically add 1/4 inch from pinned length to safe guard against customer disappointment and disaster?!) I've had 1 jacket go back 3 times, twice to Katrinas. The first attempt was when I just left an alterer do it his way: result was way too long. So my problem with Katrinas was the opposite. With Sam he did actually shrug and say too short but did agree to do it my way. Result was about right...

I always use a favoured shirt for reference but I could agonise about that too. I've settled with the conclusion that we worry about it too much, really a fraction needs to show on average, depending on our current stance....How many of us fiddle with cuffs just so before taking a fit picture just so that we can revel in fit glory?!!!

Last edited:

Osiris2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with katrinas, as mentioned above the suggested lengths weren't to my liking but they happily made them as requested.

Nailed the trouser alterations first time but had to send the jacket back. Quick turn around, didn't debate the bits I wasn't happy with.

Cost wise though for suit alterations were on the high side. Individual pieces seem fairly priced.

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never used Katrina's but I know many here who have and a few women who originally put me on to them. The "original" Katrina's was Kim & her husband, forget his name, up off Bourke St in a lane just around from American Tailors. They sold it at one stage. But reports were still ok. Its now (well the name) shifted to Flinders Lane between Elizabeth & Queen. Its also called/associated with Berenson Tailors which offers MTM suits etc. I don't know the full story but I can get the good oil tomorrow from one of the women. I have used Sam @docklands. Sam is a proper tailor, possibly the youngest proper tailor in Melbourne. He knows his tailoring - men's & women's . He's not the cheapest but he does do hemming only for $15 I think. (Footscray, Dandenong, Springvale you can get good hemming for $12) Proper alterations at Sam's cost proper money. I'm not sure I'd take style advice from him. So its the same as ever, how to get what you want from a tailor without micro managing and pissing off the craftsman. Knowing when to listen to advice and when to push or pull back a bit.

Styleternity

Reaction score
I've bought 4 shirts from Kazuna, and going back for a 5th very soon.

Much obliged @eightace - more intrigued by his status as an agent for footwear manufacturers in Japan.

Does anybody have details about that side of his operation? Personal buyer's experience?

herringbonePete

Reaction score

I'm pretty happy with katrinas, as mentioned above the suggested lengths weren't to my liking but they happily made them as requested.

Nailed the trouser alterations first time but had to send the jacket back. Quick turn around, didn't debate the bits I wasn't happy with.

Cost wise though for suit alterations were on the high side. Individual pieces seem fairly priced.

I've only used Katrinas on Bourke when they were close to American Tailors.

When people get a sleeve length back, (too long), are Katrinas or anyone charging for the correction, on the basis you're paying for the alteration 'as pinned'?

Both Sam and Katrinas have a back room with machinists I'd be more interested in their skills than front of house...

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much obliged @eightace - more intrigued by his status as an agent for footwear manufacturers in Japan.

Does anybody have details about that side of his operation? Personal buyer's experience?

Pretty sure that @Petepan , @ColdEyedPugilist , @wurger and one or two others have purchased made-to-order shoes through Kazuna.

I think that Kazuna's shoes are made by Miyagi Kogyo:

http://www.miyagikogyo.co.jp/english/

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads