1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Just colour in the rest of the white stripes with the same pen, solid blue ties are more minimalist anyway.

3 people like this.
  2. fxh

fxh Senior member

Depends. What is it - biro, felt tip or ink?

In order of ease and non destructive outcomes

1. Wear it and pretend the mark just happened an hour ago
    2. Get biro and draw stick figure or carton in same colour - when people look say "Ahh kids"
    3. Texta in that stripe same colour as rest of tie
    4. Throw tie away
    5. Go to dry cleaner and ask them to SPOT CLEAN ONLY and DO NOT IRON TIE
    6. Go to dry cleaner and ask then to clean whole tie and DO NOT IRON TIE
    7. Get some dry cleaning fluid and cotton bud and get spot stain off yourself.
    8. Make paste of Napisan/Oxy clean and rub gently into stain leave for a few hours. Rinse WHOLE TIE in bath of warm water by gently swishing back and forth making sure ALL the tie is equally wet. Wrap tie gently in folded towel to dry. Do not wring out.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  3. blahman

blahman Senior member

doh. I realised I just completely worn down the pants of my charcoal suit.

where can I get a good for value off the rack half canvas suit in HK and how am I going to use my orphaned jackrt. Its such a waste to chuck out a full canvassed hand sewn suit. Its super 120 plain dark charcoal with peak lapels and roped shoulders.

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Do you mean that the trousers have worn out in the "fork" (ie the crotch, where the legs meet)?

If so, you can often have them repaired by finding similar fabric and having two "v" shaped sections inserted where the original fabric has worn away. Given that you're in HK, with a huge amount of tailors, you should hopefully be able to find some very similar fabric somewhere!

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

yeah the crotch area. already patched one side at home. now the other side is gone.

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Really, as long as you can find fabric that matches pretty well, you should be able to have them repaired and to keep on repairing them a few more times. Given the location of the fabric patches, it doesn't even have to be an absolutely precise match, particularly as the fabric is dark.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

8. fxh

fxh Senior member

blahman
    As JM has said - its a very common operation inserting the 2 x Vs.

It doesn't have to be a perfect match of material either.

You just might be lucky enough to have enough excess material under your cuff opening to do it anyway. If you have cuffed your trousers you will have enough material by de cuffing.

You shouldn't be letting it go until you have blown it out - get repairs before it gets that far - its like getting a huge hole going right through your shoe sole before you get a repair.

Also work out why it is happening - Is it because you are an Olympic weightlifter with huge thighs?

Get a tailor to sew a proper Crutch Saddle inside all your trousers if its a likleyhood it will occur again. This will generally be Bemberg and it will protect your trousers by providing another loose layer and also be slippery so things won't catch and wear as much.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

blah with another crotch blow out.

1 person likes this.
  10. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Wahoo! Just had a grovelling Aus Post courrier begging forgives and expressing a thousand pardons on my doorstep branding my parcel. Win!:slayer:

2 people like this.
  11. NathanBB

NathanBB Member

Have you experienced a slight rain of frogs today. Parcel and an apology is a nice ending.

12. Geoffrey Firmin

I live in Canberra so its just plague, pestilence and famine all courtesy of the current (Mal) administration.

13. fxh

fxh Senior member

Straight Outta Belcompton?

3 people like this.
  14. blahman

blahman Senior member

Thats because I cant help it everytime I walk around Central.

I shall try find a place for repairs this weekend.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  15. Geoffrey Firmin

Interesting Doco? Advertorial? About 501's

[VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  16. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Is there a version with English subtitles?

17. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Gotta like those shoulders though.

I've now seen quite a few B&T jackets with a similar shoulder line, and while it generally looks very distinctive - in a good way - I don't think it works for everyone. My first B&T commission had the same shoulder line - somewhat extended and sloping - but in my case, the clean line "broke" on one side due to my very prominent acromio-clavicular joint and the inherent softness of the cloth.

Joe and I both agreed it wasn't quite right, and so the jacket went back to Seoul. It's great now, and I'm just waiting for the Melbourne weather to cool off a bit more so I can rock the suit. (A three-piece from 12oz Fox flannel definitely requires chilly conditions.)

18. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

What did you have done with your jacket? Did they insert a bit of wadding/padding in the shoulder to smooth out the line?

Joe's jacket (what we can see of it) looks nice - it's the unbuttoned, button-down collar, the clip-on braces being worn with bespoke trousers and the enormously long back blade of the tie, deliberately worn untucked, that make the whole thing look rather silly and costume-like.

However, maybe I'm just an ageing fuddy-duddy!

19. blahman

blahman Senior member

whats with the damn ties and people wearing them with the skinny end hanging that far down? Not cool at all, more like compensating. Get yo ties the right length ffs.

2 people like this.
  20. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

The underlying problem was overextended shoulders. As the fabric is POW, it was apparently quite tricky to reduce the shoulders. The sleeves were also a little too long and working buttonholes had already been cut. So apparently a fairly extensive reconstruction was required. I actually had my doubts as to whether it was even possible, but somehow they did it, and it looks great now.