• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A happy new year to all in the Australian Members thread! 

I had a lovely time last night, with about 20 guests, including nine children, piling on to our back deck to celebrate the end of 2016. 

I was then woken at 8:00am today by my manic next door neighbour, cleaning his back deck with a very loud blower-vac. :censored:

Hell is other people.

Spent the night in Victoria St Potts Point at a party at a 14 floor penthouse on the ridge line. Marvellous view of both 9pm and midnight fireworks.Walked out at 1am and picked up a cab home without delay.

Campanologist at the RC church across from where I'm staying went to work at 10an then off to cleanse the body at Bondi beach.

Last edited:

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A happy new year to all in the Australian Members thread!

I had a lovely time last night, with about 20 guests, including nine children, piling on to our back deck to celebrate the end of 2016.

I was then woken at 8:00am today by my manic next door neighbour, cleaning his back deck with a very loud blower-vac.
censored.gif

Blower vacs have to be the most* pointless, annoying things ever invented. All they do is redistribute the leaves. We had blower vacs starting up at 7am every morning right next door to our previous apartment. Used to drive me nuts.

*(Well, ok, jetskis. But blower vacs are definitely number 2 on the list.)

Spent the night in Victoria St Potts Point at a party at a 14 floor penthouse on the ridge line. Marvellous view of both 9pm and midnight fireworks.Walked out at 1am and picked up a cab home without delay.

Sounds groovy. I spent NYE at an expat dive in Wuhan. I was the best-dressed man there, which wasn't hard.

Coxsackie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On that subject, let's hope Dyson never comes out with a blower vac. Their products may be brilliantly engineered, but they are usually very, very loud.

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy new years to all here!!

would love to join for a sydney GTG except I'm now based in Singapore and spend what little free time i have banging asian chicks.

may 2017 bring you all great joy, happiness, sex, fortune etc :slayer:

Last edited:

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Happy new years to all here!!

would love to join for a sydney GTG except I'm now based in Singapore and spend what little free time i have banging asian chicks.

may 2017 bring you all great joy, happiness, sex, fortune etc :slayer:

May the leather soles of your Aldens remain unblackened by misdirected piss.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On that subject, let's hope Dyson never comes out with a blower vac. Their products may be brilliantly engineered, but they are usually very, very loud.

My dad bought me a Dyson fan. It is very loud and has nowhere near the output of a $50 pedestal fan.

It does look cool though.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My dad bought me a Dyson fan. It is very loud and has nowhere near the output of a $50 pedestal fan.

It does look cool though.

Take it back, get something practical like socks.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Take it back, get something practical like socks.

Unfortunately he bought it for me over a year ago and the receipt has long since gone missing. I've considered selling it second hand but I am unsure how successful that would be.

Could I please have some advise on purchasing OCBDs?

Previously I've bought them from Suit Shop but have been less than impressed with my latest order.

I'm looking at purchasing from:

1. Kamakura

I'm a bulkier guy. Any suggestions as to what fit to purchase?

2. Brooks Brothers

I'm certain I would be an extra slim in their OCBDs, however they don't sell them in Australia.

How could I go about ordering some?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Kamakura

I'm a bulkier guy. Any suggestions as to what fit to purchase?

2. Brooks Brothers

I'm certain I would be an extra slim in their OCBDs, however they don't sell them in Australia.

Aren't these two things a little contradictory?

Have you tried on the Milano-cut Brooks Brothers OCBDs that are available in Australia? They are fairly slim and could be worth a try.

Otherwise, if you want to order from the US, you will need to use a proxy server to block your Australian address (so as to get to the US BB website) - this is easily done in Firefox, at least, by downloading an extension. You'll probably also need to use a shipping proxy service to get the stuff from the US to Australia.

I haven't ordered from Kamakura, but I know that several others here have. A friend of mind has a few of their shirts and they are nice - well-made with a great collar roll. The measurements on their website seem pretty spot-on, from what I've heard. The only issue may be sleeve lengths, as some of the sleeve lengths are rather short while others are rather long!

herringbonePete

Reaction score

Blower vacs have to be the most* pointless, annoying things ever invented. All they do is redistribute the leaves. We had blower vacs starting up at 7am every morning right next door to our previous apartment. Used to drive me nuts.

Blowers are great for clearing gutters on a hot day after dry weather and for clearing Tarmac areas IF you can blow on to grass and then have the time to rake up and have space to herd up the leaves :)

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May the leather soles of your Aldens remain unblackened by misdirected piss.

oh thanks for reminding me, Mr. Parsley. I went to Ivy again last month when visiting sydney, but I only packed one pair of cordovan aldens. based on my previous experience i knew i had to piss all i could before around 10pm when **** starts getting out of hand and the toilets get all flooded with piss. needless to say, my strategy of straight tequila shots (no lime as i wanted to minimise non-alcoholic liquid consumption) worked well and i managed to hold it in. My aldens did get a little bit stomped on by the clumsy drunk girls (it was thursday so lots of young 20 year old chicks) but nothing a deer bone can't fix. Overall my aldens and I survived an epic night out and the soles are more of a dark brown than black these days.

Last edited:

Styleternity

Reaction score
You ordered a suit from B'n'Tailor?

Be sure to post pics when it arrives.
^ +1. Pics or it didn't happen @Foxhound

On an entirely unrelated note, if any of you esteemed Aussie forumites ever find yourself in Hong Kong, I can now confidently (pursuant to my spending now 6 months there) recommend a few venues whenever you come to town. Whiskey at the two storey BAR BUTLER, Yum-cha at Ling Heung Lau (food quality commensurate with the hilarious rudeness of the staff) and a good glass of Grand Cru classe Bordeaux at LQV.

Wishing you all bountiful jawnz, good health and self-fulfillment in 2017.

Last edited:

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Styleternity, my brother is going to HK a little later this year. I know he's been looking for a place that sells used Rolex's. Anywhere in HK you'd recommend?

HecticLad

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here. Figured this would be the best place to ask this, although I know there isnt a whole lot of focus on fashion-forward garments, but anyway.

I recently bought this lemaire jacket (seen in the pictures) and it is much too wide for me in the shoulders and all the way down through the body ie. chest and waist, which in turn makes the sleeves too long and also makes them puff out excessively due to them already being quite baggy.
Its quite a unique design, hence why I bought it in the first place, and as such I would much rather to try get it tailored than to have to return it (this is the smallest size they have btw). However there are a lot of odd construction techniques used it, in that you wouldnt usually see in this kind of jacket, which I imagine could make it quite difficult to alter, such as pockets which cut through the side seams and horizontally darted sleeves which give them that billowy silhouette. The fabric would be fairly simple to work with I imagine though (just a cotton canvas type fabric outer with a wool lining around the chest and cotton lining in the sleeves).

As it would need to be re-cut, I figure I would need a rather high end tailor to do a good job of it, so I was wondering if you guys thought this would actually be plausible and that it could be done to a high quality standard, as if it just came out of the store, assuming I had the right tailor.

Also, I live in Sydney, so if anyone could recommend a tailor that they think would be able to do this, and do an extremely good job of it, that would be greatly appreciated. Id be willing to spend several hundred to get it done if need be, as I would really like to be able to keep this jacket.

Thanks in advance.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyh78