• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athletic Thighs?

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
So are there any top ten denim companies that can make pants in a more relaxed/athletic spec?

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
outfit7yh5.jpg

too tight, dude. You look like you crowbarred your bits into them. You might need pleated pants and relaxed jeans. Sucks to be us.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Devil's Hands
too tight, dude. You look like you crowbarred your bits into them. You might need pleated pants and relaxed jeans. Sucks to be us.

Nah, they fit perfectly comfortably and I've done a lot of active things in them with no issues. I have no restrictions on range of movement when climbing stairs and actually got into a fairly intense table tennis game the other day while wearing these. This is actually probably a fairly relaxed fit for this board, at least, check out the what are you wearing thread haha

dhinggok

Reaction score
I have a lot of friends who are ex-cyclists and they seem to find Diesel Rolans and Earnest Sewn Fultons to fit the bill quite well.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone caught on to the fact that "athletic" thighs and "muscular" thighs are completely different things. Unless you do some heavy duty weight work, your legs won't be "big"

Aka, those cyclists do not have big legs.

smw356

Reaction score
most competitive cyclists do heavy duty lower body weight work in the offseason. Increasing strength is pretty crucial to increasing wattage.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right, that's a different story. Sprinters to heavy lower body work, for instance. Your regular ol' cyclist does not.

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by smw356
most competitive cyclists do heavy duty lower body weight work in the offseason. Increasing strength is pretty crucial to increasing wattage.

all the competative cyclists i know don't do lower body work to increase strength (and size/weight). they just do endurance... and they have scrawny legs. it would seem somewhat counterproductive to do heavy weight training, there is a completely different mechanism in strength sports (weight lifting, racing, etc.) and endurance sports (like cycling, or long distance running).

if you're talking about some sort of sprint, that's different though.

generally though if you're training just for strength, you lose a little endurance. case in point: a buddy of mine stopped doing high rep work (press 225 X times for example), and his max for a mid-level weight dropped dramatically. his bp increased from probably 275 to 350, but his 225 reps dropped from ~20-25 to 14. It's just activating different fibers in the muscle.

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mountain bikers will have legs significantly thicker than your typical roadie who does century rides for breakfast.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
Mountain bikers will have legs significantly thicker than your typical roadie who does century rides for breakfast.
Once again, I do not see how that is. Cycling will not make your legs bigger. End of story. External weight work, that's a whole different scenario.

Kid609

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
Once again, I do not see how that is. Cycling will not make your legs bigger. End of story. External weight work, that's a whole different scenario.
Cycling will indeed make your legs bigger and stronger. Especially if you sprint or climb. Velodrome racers have thighs that look similar to short-track speed-skaters. Lance Armstrong has large athletic thighs. These things are pure muscle.
PedalingToVictory.jpg
833_lance%20armstrong.jpg

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't know what large thighs are.

And once again, cycling by itself will not give you big leg muscles.

matt_vn

Reaction score
Good topic, I was wondering if I was alone. I have 24" thighs and a 32" waist and have a hard time finding designer or euro style jeans that fit, but there certainly are some out there just have to try numerous on. A few cuts I can not even get all the way on. Sometimes if can get them on it looks really strange to be crazy tight up top then after the knee get much looser. This is why I don't think I'll ever order a pair online with out being able to try them on first somehow. On a side note, if you have good thighs from lifting, usually you have an ass the ladies will like.
smile.gif

Studio27

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matt_vn
On a side note, if you have good thighs from lifting, usually you have an ass the ladies will like.
smile.gif

truth. 25" thighs, 28" waist... and growing (both for now, but the waist drops back to 28 in summer, 30-32 in winter
smile.gif
) i'd rather have good legs than be able to fit into skinny jeans... i think the skin tight is atrocious (dior homme, et al). besides, they gotta come off sometime!! look good nekkid & get clothes that flatter when you don't!
bigstar[1].gif
oh... and lance armstrong's thighs are not "big" whatsoever. the guy's a stick (not saying it's bad... it obviously worked for him... but he doesn't have the quintessential "athletic" build) edit: short track ice skaters do have MASSIVE thighs for their size. that one is very true. they've got treetrunks. but i've yet to see a cyclist built like a speed ice skater.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads