• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aston Martin Lagonda.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I came dangerously close to buying one of these. I think this might be the V-8 version. (There may have been a Cobra version.)I read somewhere acceleration would tear the axles off.
600-tvr.jpg

The stock width wire-wheels indicate the car in your photo is likely a Grantura MkIII with the 1800 cc MGB engine/gearbox unit. Note the wheel width on the Griffith 200 version in the linked images. Possibly, just possibly, the blue car above is a little newer than that and has the Triumph TR6 engine and gearbox. Since we can't lift the bonnet, let's just say it's likely not a V8 model.

Last year there was a general TVR thread (link below) in which I posted some 1963 Griffith 200 (American produced V8 TVR) images and mentioned its "interesting" genesis. The Ford 289 V8 TVR was actually sired on good old Long Island, New York. You are correct about the rear axle having both mounting problems and questionable durability due to the V8's relatively enormous torque.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...078#post399078

___

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
I'd really enjoy a TVR, but it might get slightly edged out, stylistically, by this:

marcos_tso_gt2_2005_2.jpg

Many people thought that Marcos would take the place of Lotus in the early 1960s. Jem Marsh's idea and Frank Costin's (that's Costin as in Cosworth) aerospace engineering experience got things going. Jackie Stewart's first racing car was a Marcos.

From its beginnings in 1959 through 1969 or 1970, Marcos used marine plywood for the entire chassis. Mr. Costin left early-on and the Adams brothers penned the design lines you can still see today in the Marcos GT2 image you posted above. I first saw the Marcos GT at San Francisco International Auto Show/Brooks Hall on Thanksgiving Day in 1964. The engine du jour was an 1800 cc Volvo.

I "borrowed" the image below without permission from Mr. R. MacMath's fine WebPage that distills the history of Marcos Cars. Note that the image was made in front of the Marcos factory!

Marcos Owners Meeting - 1973
MarcosOwnersMeet5-28-1973.jpg

__

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Full Canvas
The stock width wire-wheels indicate the car in your photo is likely a Grantura MkIII with the 1800 cc MGB engine/gearbox unit. Note the wheel width in the linked images. Possibly, just possibly, the car is a little newer than that and has the Triumph TR6 engine and gearbox. Since we can't lift the bonnet, let's just say it's likely not a V8 model. Last year there was a general TVR thread (link below) in which I posted some 1963 Griffith 200 (American produced V8 TVR) images and mentioned its "interesting" genesis. The Ford 289 V8 TVR was actually sired on good old Long Island, New York. You are correct about the rear axle having both mounting problems and questionable durability due to the V8's relatively enormous torque. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...078#post399078 ___
That makes sense. The one I was looking at had an MG engine and wire wheels, blue, pretty much the same as the one in the shot.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many people thought that Marcos would take the place of Lotus in the early 1960s. Jem Marsh's idea and Frank Costin's (that's Costin as in Cosworth) aerospace engineering experience got things going. Jackie Stewart's first racing car was a Marcos. From its beginnings in 1959 through 1969 or 1970, Marcos used marine plywood for the entire chassis. Mr. Costin left early-on and the Adams brothers penned the design lines you can still see today in the Marcos GT2 image you posted above. I first saw the Marcos GT at San Francisco International Auto Show/Brooks Hall on Thanksgiving Day in 1964. The engine du jour was an 1800 cc Volvo. I "borrowed" the image below without permission from Mr. R. MacMath's fine WebPage that distills the history of Marcos Cars. Note that the image was made in front of the Marcos factory! Marcos Owners Meeting - 1973
MarcosOwnersMeet5-28-1973.jpg
__

Thanks, FC, great info. Also reread your post in the old TVR thread. Some of these little firms do such amazing work. Those old Marcoses are equally stunning! As NR said, why merely be utilitarian when you can be elegant. Sadly, most of the major marques sacrifice elegance for cheap utilitarianism with a dash of the quite-inferior 'prettiness.' ~ Huntsman

Mustapha

Reaction score
This has been an interesting thread. I wound up at the Wiki entry about Bristol cars and how they catered to buyers looking for 'exclusive obscurity'. 'Exclusive obscurity'; I though that was a neat phrase.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I think the Lagonda should be pinned on every automobile designers desk for an example of everything that can possibly go wrong with automobile design. It's as if someone took a Delorean and decided to try to turn it into a stretched "luxury" boat and rather than looking timeless it just looks dated.
I agree, I always thought of the 70's and 80's as sort of a black-hole for Aston designs. Atleast the upcoming Rapide design appears to be interesting .

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by visionology
I think the Lagonda should be pinned on every automobile designers desk for an example of everything that can possibly go wrong with automobile design. It's as if someone took a Delorean and decided to try to turn it into a stretched "luxury" boat and rather than looking timeless it just looks dated.
I'd have to agree but there is sometimes a period where a design sinks into a phase of lacking any merit then to reappear on the otherside with a refreshed appeal that makes you wonder why you didn't see it earlier.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mustapha
This has been an interesting thread. I wound up at the Wiki entry about Bristol cars and how they catered to buyers looking for 'exclusive obscurity'. 'Exclusive obscurity'; I though that was a neat phrase.
The new Bristol Fighter has a top speed of 210 mph. Gull wing doors. Reminds me of a TVR.
BristolFighter3.jpg

http://www.bristolcars.co.uk/BristolFighter.htm

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Don't forget the Fighter "T" version (link below). Bristol claims a top speed in excess of 260 mph. Check beneath your sofa cushions for some loose change because the Fighter T is still under $1,000,000 even with the weak dollar. From November 2006: http://www.styleforum.net/showthread...hlight=bristol __
WOW! 1012 hp supercar and you would never know from the design. Obscure luxury. I wonder if it has fitted luggage.

Southern-Nupe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
WOW! 1012 hp supercar and you would never know from the design. Obscure luxury. I wonder if it has fitted luggage.
I agree, that car just doesn't look like it would be capable of those speeds.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LabelKing,

Have you heard the news? They're going to bring back the Lagonda.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics