• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Roger la Rock

Reaction score
Lens question: I have a low distance Rx and a low add (+1). My glasses are pretty shallow....typically around 32mm. I hate having to take my glasses off to read so I d. had a pair of progressives made (Essilor...dunno which model). Took a while to get used to it but now that I have, I find that my distance vision acuity isn't all that great (it was certainly better with my old single-vision lenses). Also doesn't work too well in front of the computer. After reading up, something tells me my optician should have used a short-corridor lens but didn't. I also should probably have a second pair with computer lenses made for office use.

Are my (uninformed) suspicions correct? I'm meeting up with my eye doctor next week to get my prescription rechecked and thereafter will go for some new glasses. It seems the opticians in these parts carry mostly Essilor and Hoya. I'm guessing Hoya is the way to go? Which models should I be looking at?

If your distance acuity is off, as an optometrist the first things I would be thinking of are the prescription and the lens centring. Getting a recheck is the right move.

The quality of the lenses is more important than the brand. The major manufacturers produce a large range of progressive lenses at different price points. As CC mentioned as a general rule you get what you pay for. The cheapest lenses may be decades old designs using traditional grinding methods which have optical limitations. Newer (and more expensive) designs use digital surfacing (CNC) which allow better control of aberrations and optimisation for the prescription, the frame and how it fits, giving sharper vision, reduced distortion, better reading areas and easier adaptation.

You are not just buying a pair of lenses, but also expertise. Your eye doctor or dispenser are familiar with the brands of lenses that they use. By all means discuss with them which model of lens is most suitable for you, but asking for a brand which they are unfamiliar with may be a recipe for trouble.

Last edited:

frostiblack

Reaction score
Thanks again - I am taking them in to my optician tomorrow! I'll report back with the solution we achieve!

So, I took my glasses to the optical shop and she volunteered to courier them to an outfit that should be able to add feet/pads to the frames, lifting them off of my face. I'm not sure how this will pan out but we'll see!

frostiblack

Reaction score
So, I took my glasses to the optical shop and she volunteered to courier them to an outfit that should be able to add feet/pads to the frames, lifting them off of my face. I'm not sure how this will pan out but we'll see!

You were right, @CityConnection - the feet couldn't be screwed onto the frames, so silicon pads were the solution suggested. I'm wearing them today and hoping they help to alleviate the digging-in feeling.

zrnk

Reaction score
I've got a ******** and a round face, what style glasses would be good for my face? Any thicker rimmed glasses?

Also who makes the best glasses up to like, 200 dollars at the moment?

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, they're often on Gilt and eBay for much less than retail. How much less depends on the model.

Yea im thinking about purchasing the anderson...I want to try them on first. I looked and didnt see any place in boston that has them in stock, but I am going to look around and see if there is much difference between riley and or GP.

I will also revisit the barton perreira wilmot, but i think they may be too big for my face.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
With both those brands I would highly recommend trying before you buy to evaluate the quality. They can be hit or miss.

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

With both those brands I would highly recommend trying before you buy to evaluate the quality. They can be hit or miss.

the only thing about me not trying the anderson before buying is that they are litterally the exact same measurements everywhere other then the temple...compared to the frames I wear now.

I need to try on all the other pairs and probably wont buy something I cant try on, though ive done it in the past with sunglasses.

That being said my distance changed and stigmatism increased in both eyes, so looking to get a pair in the next month.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question about shades:

I've tried numerous on and almost all of them fit me wrong. They don't cover my eyebrows and sit well below them in fact. Are there any brands or styles I should be looking at I guess for my face shape?

artek

Reaction score
Any recommendations on good quality frames for larger heads? I'd like thick acetate frames and I don't mind if the frame is bold. I'm having a hard time finding a good fit.

Thank you.

CarolinaMan

Reaction score
Any recommendations on good quality frames for larger heads? I'd like thick acetate frames and I don't mind if the frame is bold. I'm having a hard time finding a good fit.

Thank you.
Look for an optical shop that carries Fatheadz Eyewear. They specialize in oversized frames.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you.

Lindberg has a few large sizes. Chesterfield and Elasta by Safilo (not thick, but surprisingly well made). Kio Yamato fits a bit wider and they have some thick models.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question about shades:

I've tried numerous on and almost all of them fit me wrong. They don't cover my eyebrows and sit well below them in fact. Are there any brands or styles I should be looking at I guess for my face shape?

Most won't cover your eyebrows. As well, depending on your facial features it may be impossible. But if you want it to fit higher, you'd need nosepads or a low bridge but high fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads