• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lafont
As for Josephson's, I can honestly say the place of business can be very, very important to me. I'm somewhat of a shopaholic, and shop all the way down to very seedy stores and second-hand places and flea markets, etc. but for most of my more important items I go to stores with cache. It greatly enhances my feeling about the item - makes me feel good. If I were to buy a shirt, say, from a resale store, it probably would be a designer I think of highly - that's the toss-up. But I lover luxury, upscale shopping/shops and am drawn to them wereever I am.

I agree, sometimes I like to enjoy the shopping experience. I'm not telling you this about Josephson's to upset you, don't get me wrong, they are very upscale. I'm saying that in Toronto there are MANY stores that carry high end brands that will be half the price. Of course it will not be in the heart of the city but still, sometimes its fun to find a gem.
wink.gif

danilo

Reaction score
This may be a VERY general question, but I'm still interested to see your reply.

Q:What do you consider to be the best 'bang for buck' sunglass brand in terms of quality and design?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biscotti
plastic. It happens to my Rayban wayfarers, and my moscots.

Original question
Originally Posted by Biscotti
I find that in the summertime my sunglasses slide a bit on my nose; is there anything I can put on the bridge to stop this? It is because of sweat/grease; they are fine in the winter time.

There may be several reasons.

1. They dont have any nose pads (only molded plastic) which will not allow them to grip.
Remedy: there are small rubber pads that you can put on them to prevent them from sliding. (think "hotel bathtub")

2. Poor fitting. They may not be tight enough
Remedy: Take them into an optical and ask them to adjust them. They may be too loose, but keep in mind that if they are too tight, they will hurt behind your ear.

3. Wayfarers in general do not fit well on many people. They have way too much pantoscopic tilt for them to be comfortable. (the angle at which it sits on your nose)
Remedy: an excuse to buy something new
wink.gif

4. Oil from your faces are making them slide.
Remedy: try cleaning the nose bridge occasionally to remove excess oil. Youll find that they instantly "stick".

Easiest option: 4
Best option: 2 after doing 4

killingmoon

Reaction score
Great thread CC; very informative. Anyone know where I can find some glasses like the Polo rectangle sunglasses pictured below?
rlrectangle.jpg

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by danilo
This may be a VERY general question, but I'm still interested to see your reply.

Q:What do you consider to be the best 'bang for buck' sunglass brand in terms of quality and design?

IMO, as of this moment, bang for the buck there are several brands that I like. This is not to say that there are best brands out there. These are from brands that I know well and that I have had experience with.

<$150 range
Glasses+ Sunglasses: believe it or not, Paul Frank. Hand made in China but good quality for the price OR Hackett of London, good quality and good style.

$150-300
Glasses: O&X, ProDesign
Sunglasses: Maui Jim

$300-$500
Glasses: Iyoko Ineyake, well painted and good design as well as good use of Wood at a reasonable price. OR Kio Yamato, very good quality and technical pieces
Sunglasses: Salt, polarized prism free lens

$500 +
Don't spend your money: buy 2 of something else

Im sure there are TONS of other ones that I dont know, but these are the lines that I support and that I think are great bang for the buck.

killingmoon

Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you're asking? ...instore or online? Just a pair of similar glasses because I don't like all the branding on these.

I would prefer buying online, if that's answers your question?

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by killingmoon
I'm not really sure what you're asking? ...instore or online? Just a pair of similar glasses because I don't like all the branding on these. I would prefer buying online, if that's answers your question?
Yes, that answers my question. I thought you were asking where to buy those exact ones online or in a store... Similar styles... Salt Flannery http://saltoptics.com/detail.php?id=...id=2&orderby=2 OP Robert Evans http://www.oliverpeoples.com/shop/men/robert-evans.html Mykita Daniel http://www.mykita.com/articles/index...ction-no-2-sun Maui Jim Akamai http://www.mauijim.com/webapp/wcs/st...1_17601_N__1__ Boss has one like that too...

ArliHawk`

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityConnection
Those are both slight variations from the classic aviator. Dont get me wrong, I have a few pairs of aviators, including 2 that I shaped myself into something a bit more unique. The problem is that every douche bag at the club as well as his buddy is wearing them. IMO once it starts going into the "club scene" it is played out and I know it is time to start on the next trend. Im not a trendy guy, I just dont want to look like a douche. If you wear them, wear them because they compliment your face and shape not because everyone else has one....

I have tried and tried to find plastic shades that look good on my face. But my nose sits very low on my face, making metal shades with adjustable pads the best for me. Guess I'll just keep riding the aviator wave even though it may come and pass.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArliHawk`
I have tried and tried to find plastic shades that look good on my face. But my nose sits very low on my face, making metal shades with adjustable pads the best for me. Guess I'll just keep riding the aviator wave even though it may come and pass.

I'm assuming you're asian or have a low nose bridge. Try Salt, they sit slight higher because they have built up nose bridges.

Also try Prodesign, they have good looking nosepads that don't make the sunglasses look absurd.

CityConnection

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by heynow
Chrome Hearts - are they worth the money?( $500 +)

Yes and no. Good quality and unique finishes. If you can afford them, great. If you're pushing the limited of your budget try something else.

Problem with Chrome Hearts, some pieces are NOT adjustable. Make sure they fit WELL or try another one that will fit well. Sales associates sometimes will try to make a sale and tell you that they are okay, but you want something GREAT if you're going to be dishing out that kind of cash.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would you be able to tell me more about the Oliver Peoples Eros model? e.g. which year was this model introduced and how is the quality of this?

I am considering a pair of non aviator and saw this auction. Wondering if this is a good price.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
I have no luck finding frames that look any good on me, so I've had the time and the motivation to envision what I'd like - and actually have arrived at a pretty specific idea.
Of course it's unlike anything I've ever found.
Could a local jeweler weld me something, or would someone like yourself be able to help me find it - or must I go to one of those custom places in New York, pay about $600 for it?

I just want to couple super-thin wireframe temples and nosebridge with more substantial lens sockets than they tend to be paired with, and in a perfectly circular shape.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads