1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ask me about Eyewear!

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CityConnection, May 23, 2009.

1. CityConnection

CityConnection Senior member

I think you are right about 'lifestyle' brand.

They are anodised aluminium and very high quality. I pick up mine next friday.
    Can't wait.[​IMG]

Aluminum frames have their pros and cons from what I have seen.

Pros:
    -the material itself is lighter than stainless BUT they generally make it thicker
    -Paint doesnt come off as easily
    -interesting shapes and styles can be achieved

Cons:
    -Not as light as Titnanium
    -They are a bit more difficult to adjust (find someone good)

In any case, post up a pic after you get them! [​IMG]

2. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

I was checking out new frames today. I dig the aesthetic appeal of these OP Rileys, but the woman at the store was trying to convince me that I should get some German architect-type glasses with narrow frames and wide arms. No thanks.

Do you think these OP's look good? If not, do you have recommendations for frames that would be more flattering but have the same 1960's Americana type of look?

[​IMG]

3. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

Who would you suggest dealing with for Mykita in Toronto?

4. xchen

xchen Senior member

These are my current eyeglass frames, so I know what I am getting into with getting a pair of these. As far as $15 kiosk versions, I want a quality frame and a prescription lens, so that just isn't an option. I have a coupon code for these and that is a motivating factor. [​IMG] I am probably getting these, but also considering the ones below. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. CityConnection

I was checking out new frames today. I dig the aesthetic appeal of these OP Rileys, but the woman at the store was trying to convince me that I should get some German architect-type glasses with narrow frames and wide arms. No thanks.

Do you think these OP's look good? If not, do you have recommendations for frames that would be more flattering but have the same 1960's Americana type of look?

[​IMG]

Personally I like the look. Its a classic look. But thats a style that you have to be comfortable to wear. It's one of those things that youre either very comfortable wearing them or you feel like a clown. I will wear anything, I have a pair of yellow sunglasses. I like it though.

6. CityConnection

I actually dont know who carries them in Toronto. It's not a very readily available line. It is quite exclusive and it does not appeal to all shops because of its price and still. It limits the clientele that it can attract. Gafas carries it, but they are expensive.

7. CityConnection

These are my current eyeglass frames, so I know what I am getting into with getting a pair of these. As far as $15 kiosk versions, I want a quality frame and a prescription lens, so that just isn't an option. I have a coupon code for these and that is a motivating factor.
    [​IMG]

I am probably getting these, but also considering the ones below.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those are similar to the Salt Oslos. I like them. As for the 3rd ones, I like the look. It is a bit different than what you are wearing right now, but it might be a nice change. The plastic ones are similar to what you have now. You might as well get the 3rd ones and wear them as sunglasses and then when you are ready for new glasses, make your current ones into sunglasses. Just a thought.

8. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

9. Vashin

Vashin Senior member

Hey,

I know the chinese chain "optical 88" carry mykita. Customer service isn't the best, but price should be as good as it gets in toronto.

10. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Personally I like the look. Its a classic look. But thats a style that you have to be comfortable to wear. It's one of those things that youre either very comfortable wearing them or you feel like a clown. I will wear anything, I have a pair of yellow sunglasses. I like it though.
    Cool, thanks. Almost every male on my dad's side of the family wears these type of glasses, so I've never thought of them as costume-y or clownish at all. Should I just go with the OP's (they're easily available) or would it be worth it to check out similar styles like Moscot Miltzens?

11. CityConnection

Hey,

I know the chinese chain "optical 88" carry mykita. Customer service isn't the best, but price should be as good as it gets in toronto.

Optical 88 is known in the industry, and not for great customer service. Their prices arent the best BUT they will beat most chains. They sell a lot of "inspired" brands also. What I mean by that is, copies but without the "gucci logos". They sell some low quality frames for more than they are worth.

12. CityConnection

Which of these two frames look better on my pale fat face? Also, are Brooks Brothers glasses of acceptable quality or should I look somewhere else?

Does anyone know of glasses similar to these that will fit my big ugly face (54-58 lens size)?

http://kalleboo.mirror.waffleimages....f9fefbc057.jpg

Or

http://kalleboo.mirror.waffleimages....a86323105a.jpg

Please ignore the unflattering tank. I was on my way to the gym when I tried on the frames.

Pics arent working

13. CityConnection

Cool, thanks. Almost every male on my dad's side of the family wears these type of glasses, so I've never thought of them as costume-y or clownish at all. Should I just go with the OP's (they're easily available) or would it be worth it to check out similar styles like Moscot Miltzens?

You'll never lose out by trying on as many as you like. The more you try on the more you'll know what kind of style suits you best. So....go out there and try some on! [​IMG]

14. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior member

15. irbe

irbe Senior member

Optical 88 is known in the industry, and not for great customer service. Their prices arent the best BUT they will beat most chains. They sell a lot of "inspired" brands also. What I mean by that is, copies but without the "gucci logos". They sell some low quality frames for more than they are worth.

CC can you recomend some where in TO that sells Mykita for cheaper /w good worksmenship on the lenses? Looking into a pair.

16. ArliHawk`

ArliHawk` Senior member

Another question about Luxottica. Is there any real difference between the polarized glass lenses from all the families within the group, i.e. are Ray Ban polarized lenses the same as Revo or Persol?

17. heynow

heynow Senior member

[​IMG]

these are the new moscot x cp type one, I have no experience with either company? Do you know anything about them, or if these are worth the $285 price tag.

18. CityConnection

19. CityConnection

Another question about Luxottica. Is there any real difference between the polarized glass lenses from all the families within the group, i.e. are Ray Ban polarized lenses the same as Revo or Persol?

I dont think so. I dont see why they would increase their costs by introducing new lenses. As many know they are very undesirable to work with and they are only concerned about making a buck. Their non-polarized are probably all the same in all their frames. But something like the Ray-ban glass lenses might be a bit more exclusive to Rayban. The reps claim that each line is a separate line, BUT, they all copy each others styles.....So I'm sure you can make an educated guess.

20. CityConnection

CC can you recomend some where in TO that sells Mykita for cheaper /w good worksmenship on the lenses? Looking into a pair.

I mentioned above, that I dont know who sell them. I dont know who is good at lab work either. I just know what good lab work should look like. It is the same thing as not knowing a good wine until drinking it without knowing it's name. kinda....... [​IMG]