• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you owned one suit, and you wanted it to be as versatile as possible, would you cuff the pants?

Over the decades, I've owned many, many suits (as that's what I wear most days, and this has been the case for a very long time), and the overwhelming majority of them have featured cuffed pants, so I'd have to say "yes."

But I appreciate that in many countries cuffed pants are far less common than they are in the US. (Much as French cuff shirts are far more popular in many other countries than they are in the US.) Since you haven't indicated where you are located...

I would also note that I prefer fuller cut, more traditional suits. It's entirely possible that cuffed pants would be of less interest to those who prefer their suit trousers to reflect the currently trendy close-fitting look.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think it matters at all. It's pure preference. The only time cuffed pants would look out of place is if you get a black suit and try to dress it up like a faux tuxedo, which I wouldn't recommend anyway.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I say I wouldn't for two reasons: (1) pants without cuffs are more formal, and I think more suited to occasions like job interviews, at least in North America. (2) Cuffs, being the exception, rather than the norm, are a noticeable detail. Like a ticket pocket, 5" lapels, or a green windowpane pattern, they will help people to notice that you wear the same suit every time.

I think, in Michael's case, he has to worry about cuffs standing out to make his 1 suit identifiable as 1 suit, as (1) it sounds as though cuffs are fairly common where he lives so not as noticeable to casual observers, and (2) people see him in multiple suits.

Now, if you see more cuffs than no cuffs where you live and work, I suppose the same logic would mean that cuffs would be the better choice. Though, if you plan to have just one suit for some time, you might consider, if available, a second pair of pants with it. You could cuff one pair, and not cuff the other. Then it'll look like you have two suits, and the pants should last as long as the jacket. My first suit was my only suit for a long time, and the pants wore out well before the jacket. It wasn't a very high quality suit - entry level suit, or just above, from Tip Top Tailors, and I wore it a couple, or three, times per week to and from hockey games, including lots of driving to and from, so it's not odd the pants wore out. You can judge for yourself whether you think it's an issue with how you wear your suit, and how good the pants are.

azg131

Reaction score
Posted elsewhere... Still learning... But can anyone ID these thrift store shoes? I paid $6. Love them even if they're junk. Just curious.

redboat

Reaction score
Newbie here. After advice. Firstly, would this LBM 3 button fold down to a two button?

And does anyone know what the fit would be like on this Boglioli and would it roll down to two buttons

Many thanks for your time.
The upper button on these jackets will roll down. It is not meant to be buttoned. I'm not sure why they are always shown with the upper button closed. It's misleading and makes it hard to see exactly how the jacket will look when you wear it.

redboat

Reaction score
Any opinions on this 60/40 mohair/wool suit? I've heard Lardini makes decent stuff, and mohair is supposed to have some advantages as a fabric. Any opinions on the brand or fabric? I'm 5'10.5", 150 lbs, and would buy the size 38.

With the additional 10% discount that Yoox is offering, the suit would cost me $402. Decent price?
http://www.yoox.com/us/49137333TX/i...ts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=49137333TX&sizeId=3

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Any opinions on this 60/40 mohair/wool suit? I've heard Lardini makes decent stuff, and mohair is supposed to have some advantages as a fabric. Any opinions on the brand or fabric? I'm 5'10.5", 150 lbs, and would buy the size 38.

With the additional 10% discount that Yoox is offering, the suit would cost me $402. Decent price?
http://www.yoox.com/us/49137333TX/i...ts=sr_clothingmen80&cod10=49137333TX&sizeId=3

It's going to be shiny, so would only be appropriate in less formal/conservative occasions such as a night out unless you're a straight-up baller (which wouldn't work with a Lardini suit).

Otherwise, a 38 suit is right on the money for your height and size. You'd probably only need a touch of tailoring; you're lucky, as you're like a mannequin!

NickInTO

Reaction score
Question about shoes for a job interview today. I'm wearing a navy suit/white shirt/burgundy tie. I've only recently started to upgrade my wardrobe, and have taken the beat-to-hell shoes of my previous (pre-SF) life out of the rotation. Unfortunately, due to a series of complications with an order from Meermin, I'm left without the standard black and brown captoe oxfords. My options at this point are burgundy wholecuts from Spoo, dark brown double monks and dark brown Carmina loafers. I know enough to rule out the loafers. I know that SF generally doesn't of monks with suits. It's not an overly formal/conservative industry, and I know I'm probably over-thinking this, but can I get away with the burgundy wholecuts? Or should I polish up a pair of crappy black shoes?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really do think that the only look that will be given to your shoes is to check that they are appropriate. The three other options you listed aren't...yet a pair of polished black shoes no matter how SF approved will be.

Best not to listen to the SF groupthink on this one.

Last edited:

deadAngle

Reaction score
Posted elsewhere... Still learning... But can anyone ID these thrift store shoes? I paid $6. Love them even if they're junk. Just curious.

No real way to ID the maker (the Sullivan on the heels is just the maker of those heels most likely), but they look like solidly constructed Goodyear welt shoes made with a nice leather in a decent toe shape. Some trees and conditioning and they'll look good as new. If they fit your feet, love them.

azg131

Reaction score
No real way to ID the maker (the Sullivan on the heels is just the maker of those heels most likely), but they look like solidly constructed Goodyear welt shoes made with a nice leather in a decent toe shape. Some trees and conditioning and they'll look good as new. If they fit your feet, love them.

Thanks deadAngle. More helpful than the guy in another thread who told me to just "call them junk." I'm no expert, but they look decent enough to me. I didn't even know enough to call them Goodyear welt, so I appreciate your help. I'll get a few shoe trees for this and the next few pairs of thrift-store shoes I'll probably end up buying.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ZG31,

Those look like an old AE model, but I forget the name.

I spotted them in one of these late '70s catalogs.

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-1978-catalog

I think the AE ones were in CG, and that looks like a grain leather, so they might not be that specific model, but who knows?

Either way, I'd guess those shoes are from sometime in the '70s: to generalize, slightly funky shoe styles like that started to become popular around the mid '60s, and they went out of style around the early '80s.

azg131

Reaction score
AZG31,

Those look like an old AE model, but I forget the name.

I spotted them in one of these late '70s catalogs.

http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/fall-1978-catalog

I think the AE ones were in CG, and that looks like a grain leather, so they might not be that specific model, but who knows?

Either way, I'd guess those shoes are from sometime in the '70s: to generalize, slightly funky shoe styles like that started to become popular around the mid '60s, and they went out of style around the early '80s.

Thanks for the added info. I looked up some old Allen Edmonds, and they do have a similar look. I know this is a style forum, but... I have to say I feel perfectly fine wearing something that went out of style in the '80s.

I'm assuming from my very limited reading/knowledge of shoes that a grain leather is much better than corrected grain leather. Learning more all the time. Easy to do when you know absolutely nothing. Thanks again.

redboat

Reaction score
It's going to be shiny, so would only be appropriate in less formal/conservative occasions such as a night out unless you're a straight-up baller (which wouldn't work with a Lardini suit).

Otherwise, a 38 suit is right on the money for your height and size. You'd probably only need a touch of tailoring; you're lucky, as you're like a mannequin!
Thanks for this comment, and pointing out the "shiny" issue. Will the 40% component that is regular wool tone down the shininess? San Francisco is a pretty informal town, but I'm not looking for something that would give the impression I might start hip-hopping at any moment.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads