• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some staple wool flannel pants since I have too many patterned ones at the moment. I came across Howard Yount and I know they're a sponsor on these forums and I believe well regarded. Can any of you speak for their wool flannel pants or their English Tweed pants? Or possibly recommend another maker?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need some staple wool flannel pants since I have too many patterned ones at the moment. I came across Howard Yount and I know they're a sponsor on these forums and I believe well regarded. Can any of you speak for their wool flannel pants or their English Tweed pants? Or possibly recommend another maker?

PRL has some really nice flannel pants by corneliani.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Make sure you look at the measurements closely for HY pants. They're not really cut for bigger guys.
son of a *****... I just looked.
baldy[1].gif

Edit, I did find a couple in my size. Something doesn't add up. I'm looking on their size chart and with my waist (38") they show knee measurements as 10.25 and thigh at 13.5. It looks like based on the picture this is around, but I can't imagine that to be the case. I couldn't fit my arm in a 10.25" around hole. I sent them a message to see whats up. I understand not being cut for bigger guys but those are toothpick/anorexic measurements.

Last edited:

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, what exactly is a balmoral then?
J

See post in my sig.

An Oxford. It's colloquial, like soda instead of pop

It's actually not. I'd say it's similar to calling all sparkling wine, champagne, which they all are not. Not a great example, but can't think of one better.

To be iGent safe, I would refer to shoes as either open-laced or close-laced...
Bingo!

The terms balmoral and oxford are used synonymously, referring to closd laced dress shoes. I think one word is more commonly British and the other American (not sure which).

However, there is an older, more specific use of the term balmoral, to refer to an oxford with a side seam running across to the back of the shoe, also called a galosh (which is different than the other common use of the term galosh, which refers to rubber overshoes like Swims).

Here's an example of a balmoral/galosh oxford:
Agreed, they are used synonymously, but they shouldn't be. I've read that the English usually use balmoral and Americans use oxford. The latter is what I am referring to. Balmorals should be treated the same we treat Adelaides, which are also a type of oxford, but not a balmoral.

J011yroger

Reaction score
I give up. I'm sorry I asked.

If we can't get 2 people here to agree, there is no point in carrying it over to the outside world.

J

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How do i ask for round quarters on a blazer.

Purely a guess on my part, but why don't you contact the appropriate person at Kent Wang, and tell him exactly what you told us in your post, and provide him with the same picture?

I've no idea as to the specific details involved in purchasing a MTM blazer from Kent Wang, but I have to assume that if you communicate your desires clearly, with examples, you'll get at least some sort of response from them. Your next step would depend on what sort of response you receive.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
See post in my sig.
It's actually not. I'd say it's similar to calling all sparkling wine, champagne, which they all are not. Not a great example, but can't think of one better.
Bingo!
Agreed, they are used synonymously, but they shouldn't be. I've read that the English usually use balmoral and Americans use oxford. The latter is what I am referring to. Balmorals should be treated the same we treat Adelaides, which are also a type of oxford, but not a balmoral.
actually, that is a good analogy. you are right, all sparkling wine aren't Champagne, but in common usage, for many people they are. Just like most people use bal/oxford interchangeably. Doesn't make it technically correct of course.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
actually, that is a good analogy. you are right, all sparkling wine aren't Champagne, but in common usage, for many people they are. Just like most people use bal/oxford interchangeably. Doesn't make it technically correct of course.

People use sportcoat and jacket colloquially too and I got into trouble for that on Ebay recently...

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Katzenjammer

Reaction score
Can someone point me to a resource describing all the different types of wool fabrics used in pants? When I walk into JPress or the like, I am a bit lost. Twill v. Garbardine v. flannel v. worsted v. tropical weight.

I am interested in a descriptions of each, comparisons: when to wear, etc.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofeman