• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a really nice black one, but I was looking along the lines of something more waterproof. You can wear anything in the snow, and just brush it off, it is that miserable rainy, cold, slushy, northeastern crap we get when it is 32-45 out.

Also during the spring/summer when we get those soakers. I have a white squall jacket, and a few others that aren't too bad, but spring/summer rainy day wear always kind of flummoxes me.

J

Honestly, I struggle with that sometimes too as I'm in boston. Somedays an umbrella is best for dealing with that crap.

There are some days that you really can't do anything to keep your outer layer dry and those days the best you can hope to do is for your outerwear to keep you warm and dry. I think duffle's do that. Unless you want to wear a ski jacket...

J011yroger

Reaction score
Honestly, I struggle with that sometimes too as I'm in boston. Somedays an umbrella is best for dealing with that crap.

There are some days that you really can't do anything to keep your outer layer dry and those days the best you can hope to do is for your outerwear to keep you warm and dry. I think duffle's do that. Unless you want to wear a ski jacket...
Glad I'm not the only one. In the fall, I can wear my oilcloth duster, and a hat even if I have to ignore the random shouts of "Cover your heart Indy" and "Hey, look! It's the Marlboro man."

Oh well, I guess it doesn't exist. Not like anyone is going to fault me for layering up in Gore-Tex if it is particularly miserable, I'd just love a solution that wasn't quite as modern.

J

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
On some days, outerwear looks go to **** in favor of staying warm and dry. For those 14 days of the year in the northeast, I can live with it. I'll wear my ski jacket to work over an odd SC if the alternative is getting soaked and being miserable. Such is the burden of riding public transportation, but so it goes.

The only other thing I can think of is a trench/duster over a puffer jacket, but then you're in the same place...

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
I have a couple of LL Bean barn coats, thinking about treating one of them with a waterproofing stuff, then I could wear an ocbd, sweater, layering vest, tweed SC or hacking jacket, and the waterproofed barn coat, and have a temperature controllable by adding or removing layers, quasi-waterproof getup.

J

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah. I'm not saying leather is right for that, but I'd be tempted to try obenauf'ing a leather jacket!

I have enough of that stuff to last decades.

Last edited:

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can wear anything in the snow, and just brush it off, it is that miserable rainy, cold, slushy, northeastern crap we get when it is 32-45 out. Also during the spring/summer when we get those soakers. I have a white squall jacket, and a few others that aren't too bad, but spring/summer rainy day wear always kind of flummoxes me.

A Mac coat and an umbrella is all you need.
http://www.gq.com/how-to/fashion/201004/how-to-stay-dry-gq-guide-to-dressing-for-rain#slide=1

Last edited:

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Glad I'm not the only one. In the fall, I can wear my oilcloth duster, and a hat even if I have to ignore the random shouts of "Cover your heart Indy" and "Hey, look! It's the Marlboro man." 

Kent Wang makes a good looking blue cotton trench for warmer weather

Oh well, I guess it doesn't exist. Not like anyone is going to fault me for layering up in Gore-Tex if it is particularly miserable, I'd just love a solution that wasn't quite as modern.

J

leeda111

Reaction score
Shoe Newbie Alert! I would be very grateful for members advice and recommendation regarding the basic work shoes. I am looking for black oxfords/loafers for work which can take decent amount of wear and tear around 200-300sh USD(flexible).

Unfortunately as much as I would like to I cant own more than a couple. I have to travel a lot for work(IT) and basically living in 2 suitcases so I cant own 4-5 pairs(2 max). I read a lot about AE but want a little more stylish than that. Magnanni and To boot wont do the trick.

I did liked a Meermin(online) but I cant find them in Charlotte NC and I am not sure about blind buy online.

I will appreciate any help/advice/recommendations/links.

Thanks

Happy New Year.

jungleroller

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seems very expensive for what it is...
This. Idk, seems like something you can get at any department store locally for much much cheaper. Hell I could thrift that for $5 I bet.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hofeman