• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How many navy blazers is it sane to own

Six. (This is also exactly how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop. Twice.

One single-breasted with brass buttons.

One single-breasted with pewter buttons.

One double-breasted with brass buttons, but you never wear it because you dislike double-breasted jackets and think that they're currently out-of-fashion anyway.

One single-breasted with enamel buttons displaying your college crest, which you purchased from the Alumni Association, which you had intended to wear to your 25th Anniversary Homecoming Weekend, but that turned out to be the weekend your wife's cousin's daughter was getting married up in New Jersey, so you couldn't go to Homecoming and see if everyone had gotten old (while you, by contrast, seem to have sipped from the fountain of youth, itself).

One very nice Brooks navy blazer, which is a size too small for you to wear, but you were able to get it via eBay for under $100, and once you drop those 15 lbs., it's going to look really good on you.

One you don't much like because it's 30% polyester, but you do take it with you when you're flying on business, because the thing simply cannot be wrinkled, even if you ball it up and use it as a pillow on the flight where the flight attendant claimed there were no more pillows available, but you knew she was lying but you didn't want to cause a scene and risk getting your name on some list Homeland Security keeps of passengers who behaved in a threatening manner.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Six. (This is also exactly how many licks it takes to get to the Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop. Twice.

One single-breasted with brass buttons.

One single-breasted with pewter buttons.

One double-breasted with brass buttons, but you never wear it because you dislike double-breasted jackets and think that they're currently out-of-fashion anyway.

One single-breasted with enamel buttons displaying your college crest, which you purchased from the Alumni Association, which you had intended to wear to your 25th Anniversary Homecoming Weekend, but that turned out to be the weekend your wife's cousin's daughter was getting married up in New Jersey, so you couldn't go to Homecoming and see if everyone had gotten old (while you, by contrast, seem to have sipped from the fountain of youth, itself).

One very nice Brooks navy blazer, which is a size too small for you to wear, but you were able to get it via eBay for under $100, and once you drop those 15 lbs., it's going to look really good on you.

One you don't much like because it's 30% polyester, but you do take it with you when you're flying on business, because the thing simply cannot be wrinkled, even if you ball it up and use it as a pillow on the flight where the flight attendant claimed there were no more pillows available, but you knew she was lying but you didn't want to cause a scene and risk getting your name on some list Homeland Security keeps of passengers who behaved in a threatening manner.

Don't forget the navy linen with shell buttons.

jimmycth

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the button placement (judging by the chest opening). Too high?

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the button placement (judging by the chest opening). Too high?

Depends on your height; if you're on the shorter side, it'll increase your perceived leg length, hence making you look taller. Most posters will say your jacket is too short though. Is it bespoke?

Last edited:

yanagi

Reaction score
I bought a navy blazer from Spier and Mackay. One of my female colleagues today said I looked nice in it but that it didn't look enough like a blazer to her. I suspect it's because the buttons aren't metal. I'm looking for some opinions on which of the following two buttons would look better with the blazer:

http://www.britexfabrics.com/button...antique-silver-blazer-button-made-in-usa.html
http://www.britexfabrics.com/buttons/blazer/fouled-anchor-silver-blazer-button.html

Or if there's another one that you have in mind that's close to the price, please feel free to mention it.

Here's the blazer (sorry for the bad lighting):

jimmycth

Reaction score

Depends on your height; if you're on the shorter side, it'll increase your perceived leg length, hence making you look taller. Most posters will say your jacket is too short though. Is it bespoke?

It is bespoke and I'm (extremely) short. About 163cm. Hence I opted for a shorter length hoping that it'll increase the perceived height. If you can't tell that I'm short from the picture, I'm guessing that it is working?

If it's a two button, I think it's high. If it's a three button, I think you should go with fewer buttons. :p

It's a two button. Given the new information, how low will you move the button stance?

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I opted for a shorter length hoping that it'll increase the perceived height. If you can't tell that I'm short from the picture, I'm guessing that it is working?

No, one couldn't tell you were short, simply because there was nothing in the picture against which your height could be judged. The length of your jacket really had absolutely nothing to do with it.

E TF

Reaction score

I think that's just right. The buttoning point (top one of a two button, middle of a three) should be judged in relation to the waist - follow the line of the checks in your jacket from the most nipped in bit at the side and the button placement is at about the same point. You can go slightly higher or lower than the actual waist if you want, thought this changes the feel of the jacket. I like to go slightly lower than the actual waist, lends a more natural, relaxed look.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweedy bag