• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Then how did the other shoe get lighter with time in the light/sunlight. I'm obviously not talking over a day or two haha.

It would have to be direct sunlight. If you need to fade it, I would suggest leaving it on the back dash of your car, but be aware that you will also be drying out the leather. Also, since you're trying to match hues, be sure to take it inside every day to compare it to the other shoe, or you will end up in a perpetual cycle of fading one, then the other, then the other, until both shoes are white, and the leather is damaged beyond repair or use.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would have to be direct sunlight. If you need to fade it, I would suggest leaving it on the back dash of your car, but be aware that you will also be drying out the leather. Also, since you're trying to match hues, be sure to take it inside every day to compare it to the other shoe, or you will end up in a perpetual cycle of fading one, then the other, then the other, until both shoes are white, and the leather is damaged beyond repair or use.

I don't have a car :p

I'll leave it in living room somewhere. I can also hit it with leather protectant first so it doesn't dry out that much and just fades instead. Honestly it's not that big a deal. I can throw some extra polish on the other guy.

This is provided I even end up deciding to get them!

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then how did the other shoe get lighter with time in the light/sunlight. I'm obviously not talking over a day or two haha.

I wasn't aware that it had been determined that it was exposure to sunlight which faded the shoe. But even if that was the cause, there is a vast, fundamental difference between exposure to sunlight, and exposure to the light in your bedroom. Sunlight is almost certainly many times brighter (feel free to confirm this with the light meter in a camera, keeping in mind that each f-stop difference represents a doubling in brightness), and likely includes an enormously more significant UV component (which is why people can tan from sunlight, but probably can't tan from the light in your bedroom) (and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was the UV which accounts for the lion's share of color fading).

I strongly suspect that exposure to the light in your bedroom would not fade the shoe in any significant way. And that extended exposure to intense sunlight in an effort to fade it until it matches the other shoe would create more issues than it would solve.

The color difference between the shoes in question is minor, and with polishing will be further diminished.. I'd suggest you simply not let the difference bother you. And if you can't bring yourself to the point where it doesn't bother you, then simply don't buy the shoes.

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that it had been determined that it was exposure to sunlight which faded the shoe. But even if that was the cause, there is a vast, fundamental difference between exposure to sunlight, and exposure to the light in your bedroom. Sunlight is almost certainly many times brighter (feel free to confirm this with the light meter in a camera, keeping in mind that each f-stop difference represents a doubling in brightness), and likely includes an enormously more significant UV component (which is why people can tan from sunlight, but probably can't tan from the light in your bedroom) (and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was the UV which accounts for the lion's share of color fading).

I strongly suspect that exposure to the light in your bedroom would not fade the shoe in any significant way. And that extended exposure to intense sunlight in an effort to fade it until it matches the other shoe would create more issues than it would solve.

The color difference between the shoes in question is minor, and with polishing will be further diminished.. I'd suggest you simply not let the difference bother you. And if you can't bring yourself to the point where it doesn't bother you, then simply don't buy the shoes.

I do agree with the above, but guessed it would fall on deaf ears, and skipped to the end. Though it might have been more fun if we had insisted that the bedroom light should work and watched the frustrated posts continue asking what he was doing wrong for the next several months. "Oh, well, you have to stand on one leg and bark at them like a dog that's chasing an emu. We thought that was common knowledge."

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Though it might have been more fun if we had insisted that the bedroom light should work and watched the frustrated posts continue asking what he was doing wrong for the next several months.

Darn it, you're right. I'm sorry for having spoiled our fun. :(

"Are you sure you put enough skunk oil on the shoe? Skunk oil is what reacts with the light, to produce fading. If you don't have some already, you can pick up a bottle of skunk oil at most sporting goods stores. Skunk hunters use the scent as a means of luring game."

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It would have to be direct sunlight.  If you need to fade it, I would suggest leaving it on the back dash of your car, but be aware that you will also be drying out the leather.  Also, since you're trying to match hues, be sure to take it inside every day to compare it to the other shoe, or you will end up in a perpetual cycle of fading one, then the other, then the other, until both shoes are white, and the leather is damaged beyond repair or use.

It does not have to be direct sunlight.

I have used indirect sunlight to bring together color differentials larger than what the poster showed on those shoes. I have accomplished this with dozens of pairs of Peal and Alden for BB shoes, both calf and shell cordovan. It will take months but it works.

The shoes I have done this with were all former store display models with the right shoe being lighter in color. I have been in a few BB stores and I have never seen one which had direct sunlight on the shoe display. The shoes faded under store lighting and indirect sunlight in the store, and they will do the same thing in your home.

Last edited:

J011yroger

Reaction score
Look here my good man, the obvious solution is to buy a pair of cheap flip-flops.

When you are outdoors, wear the dark shoe, and a flip-flop, when indoors, switch to the light shoe and wear a flip-flop on the other foot. This will ensure that the dark one is lightened by the sun but that they both wear in evenly.

If anyone questions why you are wearing one shoe and one flip-flop, just tell them that it is for science.

J

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I think I have a better solution.

I should go tanning while wearing the shoe. Problem solved.

The flip flop idea was a close second choice. I might do that too.

J011yroger

Reaction score

Claim it's sprezzatura. But to pull that off you also have to be wearing an overly short and tight suit.

My brass buttoned navy Thom Browne blazer with the white piping still hasn't seen the light of day.

I'll wear it in public I promise, just need to do some squats so ****** looks nice and firm sticking out from under it.

J

sean anon

Reaction score
Navy/blue Herringbone. I have never considered this combo. Thoughts on this combo and the coat in general (appearance, utility etc.)

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like that blazer a lot. The combo looks good but I would probably pick a different tie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads