1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Master-Classter, Sep 28, 2008.

1. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Senior member

2. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

I would go with something more conservative, but this tie is not going to make or break your interview. If you hadn't told us it was a Gucci tie I don't think I would have figured it out.

3. iloveshirts

iloveshirts Active Member

Thanks for your reply! I think I will go for this tie instead:

[​IMG]

4. mosy

mosy Senior member

What do you guys use to protect your fine leather belts when packing them for travel?

5. 12345Michael54321

Nothing.

Taking care of my clothes and accessories is one thing, but worrying about "protecting" a belt while it's in a piece of luggage is simply going to an unhealthy extreme.

It's a belt. A piece of leather. It's not fine Ming dynasty Imperial porcelain. It requires no special protection during transport.

Nor do I keep my leather briefcase in a protective briefcase case, to keep it from taking damage on my way to or from the office. :)

4 people like this.
  6. mosy

mosy Senior member

I get your point. However, I've found that on occasion something in my luggage will cause a scratch on my leather belts. After enough scratches the belt doesn't look so great anymore. When you pack shoes you do put them in something, correct?

7. 12345Michael54321

If I pack my shoes in something, that something would be to protect my clothes from contact with the soles of my shoes (which are prone to getting dirty) and not to protect my shoes, themselves.

Nor have I ever had a belt (or a shirt, a pair of pants, socks, etc.) damaged while packed. Typically, the items in my overnight bag, duffel bag, or suitcase, are packed - while not so tightly that zipping up the bag/suitcase is a challenge - without sufficient unused space that the contents of the bag or suitcase have much freedom of movement. There are no sharp edges bouncing around in my luggage, to scratch anything.

But hypothetically, if I were worried about protecting a belt from such largely imaginary harm, I suppose I could simple roll up the belt and put it in one of those small-to-medium sized pockets on the outside of my bag. Or wrapped up in a shirt or something. Or in my carry on bag. Or in a Tupperwear container. Or whatever.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rewfio

Rewfio Senior member

@mosy adding to what @12345Michael54321 said, why not put the belt inside the shoes? Assuming it can be rolled up that tight. Or wrapped in a shoe bag or soft old T shirt in pocket of the bag.

9. Churchill W

This is what I do with my socks/underwear/worn undershirts. You can also just lay the belt around the inside perimeter your bag.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. kbuzz

kbuzz Senior member

I have some pristine high end ties (brioni, barbera etc.) which i never wear and was thinking about throwing them up on the B/S forum. Ive looked at past sales is $40-$70 the going range?

11. justonemore

justonemore Senior member

Ties are pretty easy to find rather cheap. Toss them on the sales forum & see how it goes. You can always drop price or remove them for sale should things not go as desired.

12. abl

abl Well-Known Member

I like your new tie, but this is a little safer. Also, for what sort of job are you applying? If you're trying to be an ibanker, the new tie could work. If you're trying to be an actuary, both outfits might be a bit too flashy.

13. iloveshirts

Thanks for your reply! Yes I do like my new tie I've received a lot of compliments from people on it. The job I'm going for is a software sales position selling telematics.

14. Kevin24

Kevin24 Well-Known Member

I bought a solid navy Saks Fifth branded Samuelsohn suit from the store's recent sale. I'm happy with it overall but I have one big concern.

It said on the inside label it is made from S.130's wool. From what I've read the higher the count the more delicate a garment is.

I don't want to make a major investment in an item such as a Samuelsohn suit and only be able to wear it sparingly at most.

Is this a major concern or are my fears blown out of proportion?

15. iloveshirts

This is weird. I wore this (below) and I got a few compliments but not that many. It's a Gucci tie which I think is pretty sweet:

[​IMG]

But then I change the tie to this (below) and I kid you not that today in the space of a few hours 5 people came upto me saying how sharp I look. I only changed the tie. The tie is a £12 from a high street retailer in the UK!

[​IMG]

Can anyone tell me why they think this has happened? What is it with the 2nd pic that makes it so much better than the first one? I hope you get what I mean!

I know this is weird I'm just befuzzled by today's events. I swear I'm not making this up.

Last edited: May 11, 2016
  16. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

The darker colour works better for your face and with the white shirt and blue suit IMO.

17. Churchill W

The second tie is just a more classic better looking tie IMO. Everything that looks good doesn't have to be from a fancy big name brand. The opposite can also be true, not everything from a fancy big name brand will look good either.

18. iloveshirts

Last edited: May 11, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  19. iloveshirts

Thanks for that insight! I think your right. So do you think I should stick to darker ties in the future? Thanks :)

20. iloveshirts

Yeah you are right. When I first brought the Gucci tie I thought it looked a bit trendy but not too trendy I now think it maybe slightly too eccentric. The navy tie is now my new favourite tie. It's amazing what a difference a tie can make isn't it? That point has been brought home to me today!