• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask A Question, Get An Answer... - Post All Quick Questions Here (Classic menswear)

eqcitizen

Reaction score
where do i find the definitive suit encyclopedia? (history, production, fabrics,.......)

thank you.
Here is a list of 100 books on mens fashion that you may want to peruse : http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/mens-fashion-book-library-guide/

I can personally attest to Sherwood's "Bespoke" as a definitive history of Savile Row and the suits made therein but it isnt all encompasing. Any Alan Flusser book is also worth having (especially Dressing the Man).
I cannot speak from experience but i hear good things about Andy's book (of ask andy about clothes fame). http://askandyaboutclothes.com/shop/the-encyclopedia-of-mens-clothing#comment-406

But i think you can find all the information that you want online. For instance, Alex Kabbaz has some fantastic articles on shirting cloth (http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs018/1101478760242/archive/1102772493004.html) and Jeffery D has some fantastic insight into suit construction and fabric (http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/)

Last edited:

AndrewST

Reaction score
The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

Should I give in? Admittedly the one she has picked out is nice and I might be tempted to wear it in the summer.

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

Should I give in? Admittedly the one she has picked out is nice and I might be tempted to wear it in the summer.

No. First it's a bow tie and then it's the entire ensemble. Set your ground as a man who dresses himself not one who gets dressed.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

Wearing a bow tie to a ball is entirely appropriate.

While I wouldn't say that a madras bow tie is necessarily a ridiculous choice for the northeast in February (despite madras, in many clothing choices, being a decidedly warm weather option), I can appreciate that you don't happen to care for it. Fine.

Explain to your girl that if she is going to claim the right to choose which clothes you will wear, fairness dictates that you now have the right to decide what she will wear. Maybe she'll accept this argument, or maybe she'll reject it, but either way I suspect you'll win.

AndrewST

Reaction score
Wearing a bow tie to a ball is entirely appropriate.

While I wouldn't say that a madras bow tie is necessarily a ridiculous choice for the northeast in February (despite madras, in many clothing choices, being a decidedly warm weather option), I can appreciate that you don't happen to care for it. Fine.

Explain to your girl that if she is going to claim the right to choose which clothes you will wear, fairness dictates that you now have the right to decide what she will wear. Maybe she'll accept this argument, or maybe she'll reject it, but either way I suspect you'll win.
To be fair, I told her to curl her hair for the event, and she consented.

The madras in question is pastel.

12345Michael54321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The madras in question is pastel.

Thank her for caring enough to pick out a nice tie for you. Then gently explain to her that while it's a very attractive tie, and you'll gladly wear it during the summer, you hold with those who regard pastel madras as being more appropriate for warm weather wear, than for mid-winter wear. (Just as many women would be uncomfortable carrying a white handbag in mid-winter, you'd be uncomfortable wearing a pastel madras bow tie in mid-winter.) Ask her to help you choose a tie which you'll find more seasonally appropriate.

Unless she's got some weird control issues (have her seek out a trained therapist), this is a rather trivial disagreement. Adults in healthy, stable relationships don't permit "We have differing taste in bow ties," to take on anything like genuine significance. I mean, what's next? A fight over red delicious vs. golden delicious apples? A trial separation due to disagreement over which end of the boiled egg to crack?

It's not like she favors the correct "over the top" orientation of the toilet paper roll, while you stubbornly refuse to abandon your ridiculous "behind the roll" preference. God, people who don't understand why they're wrong about that frankly deserve to live lonely, miserable lives. For sure they won't get invited to any mid-winter ball I'm throwing. I just hate them so much. Well, who wouldn't, I ask you?
--
Michael

AndrewST

Reaction score
Thank her for caring enough to pick out a nice tie for you. Then gently explain to her that while it's a very attractive tie, and you'll gladly wear it during the summer, you hold with those who regard pastel madras as being more appropriate for warm weather wear, than for mid-winter wear. (Just as many women would be uncomfortable carrying a white handbag in mid-winter, you'd be uncomfortable wearing a pastel madras bow tie in mid-winter.) Ask her to help you choose a tie which you'll find more seasonally appropriate.

Unless she's got some weird control issues (have her seek out a trained therapist), this is a rather trivial disagreement. Adults in healthy, stable relationships don't permit "We have differing taste in bow ties," to take on anything like genuine significance. I mean, what's next? A fight over red delicious vs. golden delicious apples? A trial separation due to disagreement over which end of the boiled egg to crack?

It's not like she favors the correct "over the top" orientation of the toilet paper roll, while you stubbornly refuse to abandon your ridiculous "behind the roll" preference. God, people who don't understand why they're wrong about that frankly deserve to live lonely, miserable lives. For sure they won't get invited to any mid-winter ball I'm throwing. I just hate them so much. Well, who wouldn't, I ask you?
--
Michael
Thank You For This.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The Girl is wanting me to wear a bowtie to a ball event in about two weeks. While I think that's silly enough, she wants me to a madras bowtie. We live in a state that has declared an emergency due to the blizzard (NY, CT, et al).

I like bowties a lot more than some other posters on here, but no. Just don't do it. Wear it in the summer, because madras is kickass.

azumi

Reaction score
I want to buy a whole cut balmoral shoes for the summer. What color do you think is more versatile to wear in daytime and maybe night time, with dress pants? I'm wondering about the choice between black and burgundy.

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
Is there any rule for the color of braces? Should they match the suit, the shoes, the tie, or none of the above?

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technically they don't have to match (because a group of men -- including myself -- believe there they're meant to be hidden). Otherwise, matching either the dominant colour of your shirt, trousers, or your tie, should suffice, given that they're objects that are immediately adjacent to the braces.

I have braces in as many colours I have in ties, so get the basics -- red, purple, blue, green etc, or grey and navy if you'd rather own less, and have them match your trousers.

Last edited:

eqcitizen

Reaction score
I want to buy a whole cut balmoral shoes for the summer. What color do you think is more versatile to wear in daytime and maybe night time, with dress pants? I'm wondering about the choice between black and burgundy.
Black is the conservative choice and is never wrong, but i think a very dark burgundy or oxblood looks better especially with darker suits or pants (navy, charcoal, etc), at any time of the day. I especially like these from G&G

Last edited:

Aeren

Reaction score
a 235 gram /m escorial with twill wave is consider as tropical wool fabric or not?is it suitable for spring - summer season?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads