• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you getting bored with your yacht?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
hmmmm....much nicer.

I believe the designer was a star wars fan. I like it!

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A selection of some of the world's largest, so we can realize how inferior our boats are that we own.

dubai%20model.jpg

Golden Star, set to be the world's largest yacht owned by Emir in Dubai. People keep saying it's been built but I haven't seen any pictures of the actual boat itself.

princeabdulaziz01.jpg

Prince Abdul Aziz, which, not surprisingly, belongs to the Saudi royal family (or at least it did last time I saw it).

2073-hdw-yachts-al-salamah-built-1999-hdw-al-salamah.jpg

Al Salamah, idk who owns this one. Used to go under the name Mipos.

octo0104d_c.jpg

Octopus, built by Lurssen for Paul Allen.

8982-blohm-voss-superyacht-lady-moura-img_2248.jpg

Lady Moura, the only one out of these boats I've actually seen. She was moored in Dubai when I visited last year, the S-76 helicopter on the back is a nice touch!!

JB

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Sure those boats look nice, but can you imagine what a moneypit those things must be?

My dad had a high performance boat and it cost tens of thousands in maintenance every year.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can afford to buy the boat, I would assume damn well these people can afford the upkeep
smile.gif

JB

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Sure those boats look nice, but can you imagine what a moneypit those things must be?

My dad had a high performance boat and it cost tens of thousands in maintenance every year.

$100,000 charge just to fill up the Attessa at that Chevron.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
A selection of some of the world's largest, so we can realize how inferior our boats are that we own.
octo0104d_c.jpg
Octopus, built by Lurssen for Paul Allen.

The house that I am renting looks out over the entrance to Puget Sound. I recall seeing this ship. I thought it was a research vessel. Paul Allen had a private sub on order- maybe he already has it- with a row of leather lounging chairs and view windows. The sub probably slips into the opening on the stern.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Yeah the rule of thumb is that annual upkeep will run you 10% of the purchase price. So a $24 million, 150-foot yacht will cost you about $2.5 million a year to run. I saw Oracle CEO Larry Ellison's Rising Sun (second largest yacht in the world this year - second to the Al Salamah which is 456' 10". The Octopus mentioned above is the third largest at 414', and much further down the list is the Lady Moura at only 344.4') when I was in Palm Beach... that sucker is just over 450 feet long (452' 8") and is valued at $250 million. Like the Octopus, it was built by Lürssen in Bremen, Germany. Had a nice conversation with a cute young deckhand from South Africa... she said it was her "dream job" (and probably her first job!).
050814810a05afeq8.jpg
050814910a3bd2gs3.jpg
0508141210a8167sj9.jpg
0508141310a8fafvi3.jpg
0508141511277cbnw7.jpg
Some details on the Rising Sun: Cruising speed: 28 knots Four diesels giving an output of 48,000 horsepower (12,000hp each). Total living space: 8,000 square meters. Huge inside swimming pool Extensive wine cellar A cinema Basketball court that doubles as a helicopter pad Suites for 16 guests 82 rooms on five stories Space for private submarine more info: http://www.yachtmati.com/risingsun/index.htm http://www.lurssen.com/flash.html Top 100 Largest Yachts in 2007: http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/me...gest%2Dyachts/ Al Salamah: http://edition.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/0...ltimate.yacht/

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I thought it was a research vessel.

I think it is the blue hull that does it. I thought the same thing of the Attessa when I first saw it.

Some of the yachts pictured here are simply mad. 8000 sq. meters and a basketball court
biggrin.gif
Here is another one (much more modest) that is parked in the harbour here. It is local money; Jim Pattison's auto sales and his 150 ft Nova Spirit.

6g3wdog.jpg

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
2073-hdw-yachts-al-salamah-built-1999-hdw-al-salamah.jpg
Al Salamah, idk who owns this one. Used to go under the name Mipos.

It's the largest yacht in the world this year! Owned by Prince Sultan bin Abdul Aziz, the Saudi Arabian Defense Minister:
princesultan344132f0a9xh6.jpg
btalsalamah214913g13141ht3.jpg
alsalamahyacht11318f92rm1.jpg
Certainly not the sexiest yacht ever built... pretty bland if you ask me... almost cruise shippy, and note the lack of outdoor deck space and lounge chairs -- sunbathing is not high on the list for uber-wealthy Middle Easterners, but privacy is...

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for someone to just commission their own cruise ship and deck it all out, much like they do with custom 747 jets.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheHoff
I think it is the blue hull that does it. I thought the same thing of the Attessa when I first saw it. Some of the yachts pictured here are simply mad. 8000 sq. meters and a basketball court
biggrin.gif
Here is another one (much more modest) that is parked in the harbour here. It is local money; Jim Pattison's auto sales and his 150 ft Nova Spirit.
6g3wdog.jpg

And here is a pic of Jim Pattison's yacht inside the Octopus
laugh.gif
13295octopusupcloseperslb0.jpg

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And then there's the Crystal Ball, which, at 459" will be the largest yacht in the world when it's completed later this year: http://www.luxury-yachts.info/popup/popup_101.html "Blohm + Voss have signed a contract for a large Mega Yacht for delivery 2007. The order has been secured against international competition. The yacht will be constructed using the latest engineering and production technologies of the Hamburg yard, including virtual reality design and laser cutting and welding technology. Like with any yacht contract of Blohm + Voss, further details of the contract will be strictly confidential. The contract underlines the strengthened dedication of Blohm + Voss to Mega Yacht building." Notice how the helicopter on the second helipad can be protected from the elements...
02160b97csp7.jpg

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rising Sun pics: Oh and uh... it's for sale! "When Larry Ellison, the founder of software company Oracle, announced last week that he was selling his yacht, Rising Sun, it caused a flutter of excitement among his fellow billionaires. Here was a chance to get their hands on one of the biggest private yachts in the world. For just as billionaires travel differently from the rest of us (private jets, private helicopters, private islands), so they cruise differently too. And when it comes to a yacht, size matters - even if it means it may be too big to moor in most of the world's marinas. Larry Ellison bought Rising Sun last autumn, jubilant that, at 452ft 8in, it eclipsed Microsoft boss Paul Allen's luxury vessel, Octopus, by a little under 39ft. Facilities on Rising Sun include a swimming pool and a glass bottom for watching the marine life, plus three 40ft tenders - one to take guests ashore, one to carry the crew and one to ferry the four-wheel drive. Octopus, meanwhile, has a pool, a cinema, music room, basketball court, two helipads and a submarine, which is launched from an underwater hatch. Other mega-yacht owners include Chelsea's Roman Abramovich, US retail magnate Leslie Wexner, senior Microsoft programmer Charles Simonyi and Blockbuster and Miami Dophins billionaire Wayne Huizenga. The Crown Prince of Dubai will soon take delivery of a new £120 million yacht, the Platinum, which is rumoured to feature a fully functioning aircraft hangar. The world's mega-yachts are not just for show. Octopus, for example, could be seen cruising the Med last summer, stopping in Greece for the Olympics. Tatoosh, a 300ft vessel, also owned by Paul Allen, went to Bora Bora and Moorea last February before heading to Cannes in May for the film festival. What these yachts offer their owners is absolute luxury and privacy wherever they go. They can also sail in all but the worst weather, so their owners almost never have to change their itineraries. One disadvantage is that their size makes docking anywhere difficult - Paul Allen's yacht, for example, proved too large for St Barth's marina last Christmas - although when you've got a helipad, this isn't much of a problem. If you don't have quite the billions of, say, Lakshmi Mittal - who is rumoured to be interested in Rising Sun - you can always charter. How about the 245ft Leander, owned by NCP billionaire Sir Donald Gosling? It has accommodation for 12 guests, a good-size swimming pool, a gym, bar area, oppulent dining room, an observation lounge and masses of deck area plus 23 staff." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...ixtrvhome.html
bow2sternstarboard18b05eg6.jpg
stern18b593aqw3.jpg
starboardboatdeck18b419gc8.jpg
bow2sternport18bb890kk0.jpg
anchorsandbulb18bd36bdd5.jpg
bowon18bfd69dg0.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads