• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ever tempted to just "give up"?

theshonen8899

Reaction score
If the main topic is about girls then I personally wouldn't date a girl who digs half naked guys in abercrombie shorts. I think clothing suits your personality and if you wear clothes that don't scream brands then you'll probably attract a girl with similar tastes.

Yeah 500 posts!

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I did try to fit in - in more than the sartorial sense. As it turns out even once assimilated stylistically, holding a conversation proved difficult, I had nothing in common with anyone. Now I just dress myself with whatever I have left over, I look like crap but of my choosing.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We're all people in the end guys. If we can't connect with others it's most likely not because of clothes (most people here already dress better than the average person anyways), but rather our mentality. My bestfriend dresses in traditional hip-hop style. Shirts that don't fit him too well along with poorly washed baggy denim. Hat colors that always match shirt colors. He's confident with women and that's what makes him succeed. Watching him work his magic on a group of 'preppy' girls is great. There's a lot to learn from those kind of people.
smile.gif

monkey dog

Reaction score
I bought a pair of sevens last week after a couple of years wearing raw denim. Honestly, I'm not to proud to admit that I bought them pretty much for the purpose of getting laid. Over the last few years I've mixed wearing my raw denim with diesels, sevens and AGs and have gotten way more compliments when wearing the later types. People might say they don't want a girl who would like someone because they wear those types, but in my opinion ***** is *****.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monkey dog
but in my opinion ***** is *****.
+1 As long as you look presentable most girls will be fair game. Being dressed well shows women that you do take care of yourself, and this lets her assume you'll be able to handle her too. Girls want you to look at them not stare at yourself self-conciously trying to find the perfect outfit. The guys I know that are great with women don't know much about clothing at all. Go ask them what Dior is and you'll get a stupid hmm wtf look. However they're always extremely playful flirts to girls.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by monkey dog
Over the last few years I've mixed wearing my raw denim with diesels, sevens and AGs and have gotten way more compliments when wearing the later types.
I've seen several comments like this one on the board over time, so you're definitely not alone in your experience. Just curious: What is it, do you think, that girls are digging about your diesels/sevens/AGs in comparison to the raw denims -- the (looser) fits, the washes, or the brand names? I would think that a more mainstream-cut raw denim, like Nudie RR or 5EP LDB -- with awesome fades from months of wear -- would beat those brands on the first two criteria. So do you think it's just the brand-name recognition -- from the rear pocket designs or whatever -- that's driving the compliments? I personally would be embarrassed if someone thought that I had bought trendy designer-name clothes (or if they had any idea how much I'm spending on my non-designer name clothes!
laugh.gif
), but I understand your point that "***** is *****" and don't blame you for going with what's working for you in that department.

monkey dog

Reaction score
I think girls just go for the labels. Its not too hard to identify diesels or sevens based solely on the back pockets. In most girls minds those are top brands and dudes that wear them are fashionable. Same goes for lacoste polos. I wear those sometimes and always have girls say things like "i like guys who wear lacoste'. Really, they are ok polos but not much better than any other but girls see the alligator and think you have style. I don't think i am particularly fashionable when I wear that stuff, but as long as they do I could really care less.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Girls don't know nearly as much about fashion as they think they do. They recognize labels and brands. They like to see the brands posted places and like everyone to know what they're wearing. Why by a coach or gucci purse if the label isn't all over it? Why buy a pair of jeans with no back pocket stitching if people can't tell they're TRs or 7fams? Most girls are terrible with actual fashion. The only advantage they have over typical guys is that they care about clothes being flattering for the most part. Most guys will buy an oversized lacoste polo just because it was on sale at buckle or something. Girls at least make sure their clothes fit them (most of the time).

I never really care about what girls will like my clothes. Chances are i'm not going to be that interested in people who don't appreciate my style. If i wear diesel zathans, lacoste polos and sandals and pick up a girl, what's going to happen when i want to start wearing my real clothes? Am i going to have to try to explain to her that i think the whole world she loves is very stupid and that i have a better grip on clothes and fashion than she does? If you're looking for a one night stand i can see this, but even then you should be able to find girls who appreciate your stlye and find it attractive if they're a sorority girl or an indie chick. I personally just try to wear what i like and what i feel suits me. Of course, only if it is approved by people i've never met on the internet.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have it setup so that my circle of friends, while not into the same clothing that I wear (they're just starting to hit up banana republic on sale days to pair with their american eagle jeans), generally know about the quality of clothes I wear, and I've explained to them why some of the stuff I wear is cool. The raw selvedge denim thing is a really big hit although noone else I know has bought a pair, they're really into the idea. I've taken them shopping to places they're outright intimidated just of being in, and all of this adds up to this cool word of mouth thing. I've done this without making myself look snobby or arrogant, but instead by sharing the pride in my hobby with my friends. "Look what I found at a thrift store" is different from"I wear a $300 shirt." I also still wear lacoste because I actually like the polos, although my recent Zanone polo thrift is definitely raising the bar...

In short, I wear what I want to and I get the positive effects that I'd want to seeing as how I put more care into dressing than my peers. On the other hand, I'm in a great relationship and I'm not very much looking for hookups, but since the whole stealth-wealth streetwear thing is fairly common in New York, the unrecognizable-brand-but-really-nice-looking-clothing-for-some-reason-I-can't-put-my-finger-on thing would probably work. I wear clothes to feel good about how I'm dressed. Everyone here knows how good it feels to leave the house wearing what you feel to be as best dressed (for the occasion) as you can. With the confidence that THIS feeling endows, getting girls, impressing friends/peers et cetera is easy; but should anyone ever ask, you can always tell them your boots cost $300 and no, I definitely would not want 3 pairs of tims or 2 pairs of dunks(exceptions apply) instead, thank you.

Oh, if only this were the menswear forum, then you could replace $300 with $1500 and be that much better off.

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
Girls don't know nearly as much about fashion as they think they do. They recognize labels and brands. They like to see the brands posted places and like everyone to know what they're wearing. Why by a coach or gucci purse if the label isn't all over it? Why buy a pair of jeans with no back pocket stitching if people can't tell they're TRs or 7fams? Most girls are terrible with actual fashion. The only advantage they have over typical guys is that they care about clothes being flattering for the most part. Most guys will buy an oversized lacoste polo just because it was on sale at buckle or something. Girls at least make sure their clothes fit them (most of the time).

I never really care about what girls will like my clothes. Chances are i'm not going to be that interested in people who don't appreciate my style. If i wear diesel zathans, lacoste polos and sandals and pick up a girl, what's going to happen when i want to start wearing my real clothes? Am i going to have to try to explain to her that i think the whole world she loves is very stupid and that i have a better grip on clothes and fashion than she does? If you're looking for a one night stand i can see this, but even then you should be able to find girls who appreciate your stlye and find it attractive if they're a sorority girl or an indie chick. I personally just try to wear what i like and what i feel suits me. Of course, only if it is approved by people i've never met on the internet.

first, I think that most people don't know as much about quality clothing as they think they do (of course this only applies to people that care about this kind of stuff). I'd like to think I know a fair amount, but I suppose its all in the mind of the beholder. I have also always thought the general consensus on Diesels was that their quality was pretty decent, they are just over-priced, over-done and their washes can be outrageous. Even though I don't own a pair, I feel a tactful pair of Diesels are still not a horrible purchase, especially since 99% of those who buy expensive denim don't know or care about selvage and rigid denim.
And maybe this is a non-issue, but I thought the idea was the look stylish, and eschew fashion? I'd have to say that True Religion is much more fashionable than a pair of KMW's or PBJ's, but that doesn't mean they have lasting style. When I hear "fashion," I think runway, or display window outfits--what's current. When I hear "style," I more think of 1960's Sean Connery, etc...
Just my opinion, of course.

Souper

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug

Oh man, my new found styleforum addiction has gotten my girlfriend to attempt to raise the bar on her own stuff, unfortunately this is leading to an increased interest in purses that make her a walking advertisement. Too bad the only women who wear these purses are the kind that have some gucci/chanel sunglasses that their blowout-spiked boyfriend ebay'ed for them thinking they got a big bargain, wear said logo saturated purse with their sunday brunch abercrombie all the time, and for some reason are always gossipping on their cellphone when they need to stand in line for coffee at starbucks.

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tycoon
Give me a quick opinion here, are golddiggers the ones that care a lot about the brand of clothing that you're wearing?
I don't know, but if it's the same women who like to show off the brand of clothing that they're wearing (with the hideous purses, the sunglasses, etc.), I'll pass. And I can't speak for the women, but I typically don't assume that people who wear obviously expensive brands (when we're talking about streetwear, at least... can't say the same for $5000 suits) are any wealthier than those who wear cheaper (or at least more stealthy) brands, so this strategy doesn't seem sensible to me for the golddigger. If I were looking for a woman with good financial prospects, for example, I'd be concerned if she seemed to spend huge sums of money on her shoes -- suggests she isn't much of a saver or investor.

jackassery

Reaction score
I thought I might throw my two cents in, considering I have a view from the inside.

I work as a brand rep (I detest that they changed our job title to "model") at Hollister and have been there for almost two years now. I just graduated college and I'm now about to move and take a management position at Abercrombie & Fitch. So not only do I wear the clothes but I actively "project and protect the brand" to use their words. As much as it pains me to see poorly constructed and bland clothing, there is something to be said of conformity. For some people it just makes it easy to have a handful of go to brands that they can throw on without a thought. Funny thing is that most of the kids I work with don't really wear the stuff out and about. If they do its always paired with something fresh and non-mallish or done with some style. The last thing I expect to see is any of my coworkers outside of the store wearing some shirt that says Hollister across the front. I would say its a rare night to go and party and see someone wearing an A&F brand. Most if not all the girls I know would go a guy with style over someone wearing something pulled off one of our forms.

-Jamaal

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads