• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you ever tempted to just "give up"?

Goblin

Reaction score
I've noticed that most members accept, with some degree of rueful resignation, that the stereotypical Abercrombie/Hollister/AmJack/whatever look is considered stylish and draws a lot of favorable attention from large segments of the dateable population. (As I am both happily married and fucked up to the point of undateability myself, this is a moot point for me.)

Every now and then I'm curious ... for those of you of high school or college age, or otherwise in a position where the opinions of cute vapid members of the preferred gender still matter -- do you ever think about just throwing in the towel and making a trip to Abercrombie for a soft t-shirt with a prominent logo and a pair of predistressed jeans and huaraches?

Seriously, the average "fashionable" hot girl goes EEEEEEEEEEE! over Sevens and **** like that, and probably thinks raw denim = Toughskins.

itskub

Reaction score
thats never crossed my mind. i cant imagine myself ever going in that direction. style is a very personal thing for me. im 20, and i believe im too 'mature' to be wearing mall-brand clothes. its just not who i am.
the only related-step ive taken is 'dress down' my wardrobe- and go out in a much more casual-i didnt think about this outfit-look.

though dont you think people who wear logoed A&F or whatever, are of that personality that younger girls tend to be attracted to? not the clothes.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dress like **** at home. A lazy weekend will pass in sweatpants, no problem, or I'll walk my dog in cargo shorts and flipflops. But if there is any chance whatsoever that I'll interact with other people, I'll put effort into how I present myself, and endeavor to avoid looking like I own, say, cargo shorts or flipflops.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i recently been buying more stuff from the gap/h&m/zara if that means anything

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
at home or taking a trip to the grocery store i'll wear my super old cargo shorts + sandals + t-shirt, but if i'm going to be out interacting with people i know, i tend to dress up. i want them to emulate me because i can't stand how they dress and how cool they think they look wearing A&F polo + SFAMS + flip flops. i'm 21 btw.

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickonatree
how cool they think they look wearing A&F polo + SFAMS + flip flops
This is the source of my curiosity ... I get the feeling that most forum members your age are distinctly in the minority among even their own friends when it comes to what we consider good taste -- your friends *think* they look cool, but we "know better." Whereas the average person who thinks of themselves as cool would probably think many of this board's style icons look like eccentrics or giant faggots.

When I was a kid, I realized I was doomed to be a mutant from the get-go, and for the most part I accepted it (although it had nothing to do with me having good taste). But there were many, many, many times throughout the years when I kind of wished I could just fit in. Not just "kind of," I *really* wished I could just fit in sometimes, and in my weaker moments I probably would have dressed like whatever to do it. Sue me, I was a kid.

So anyway, that's why I wonder if any of the forum members who are still active socially ever think of just going with what the vast majority of their so-called peers think is hot.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Hmm...So we'd either be peer-pressured into buying "the norm" or go with what everyone else wears because there's no thought process involved?

All of my friends dress differently from each other since I've never subcribed to a particular scene. Because of this, I've never felt peer-pressured at all in the fashion sense....well, until now with random internet strangers.

I'd have to go out of my way now to buy a ill-fitting large-print tee, a sportcoat with a built-in hoodie, and some ripped jeans. And really for what? Who am I really trying to impress? And why are they impressed?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I have enough stuff that I could easily assemble what would appear to be an AmJack uniform if I wanted to. All the pieces would be much higher quality and/or obscure and have more e-cred, though. I just avoid wearing those things together in an AmJack way. Come to think of it, I avoid wearing them at all for the most part.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by poly800rock
i recently been buying more stuff from the gap/h&m/zara if that means anything

I'm the opposite, I'm even beginning to phase out apc.

The shittier everyone else dresses, the better I dress. The good thing is you stand out without attempting to do so whereas all the amjacks look like clones.

I caught this chick staring several times when I was at the Sofitel one night, too bad she looked like whodini.

fosho78

Reaction score
I'm 20 years old and the thought of switching to mall-brand clothes is disturbing to me. Not to say I'm better than those who wear those brands, I just feel like I need to distinguish myself and do something a little different. I think we (the collective we on these forums) dress the way we do because we honestly believe that we look good in what we wear. It's the same reason the mall-brand people wear what they wear. If I wore mall-brands and I got compliments from other girls it wouldn't matter to me because I wouldn't be comfortable in Abercrombie jeans, the same way a loyal Abercrombie shopper wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a pair of Nudies or a pair of Dior Homme jeans.

The thought has never really crossed my mind because the clothes I wear are the only kind that suit me.

WhoKnewI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a recent high school graduate, this was what i mostly saw for the last 4 years. Well this, and the ECKO, ENYCEE, and G-UNIT type brands. I wouldn't feel comfortable in those type of clothes because i don't think they look good, nor do I like the way I'd feel wearing them. I will tell you this, many girls my age think that slim fitting denim is "gay" (their words) and they would much rather prefer loosely fitting bootcuts. I can't say my clothes are extremely high quality; a lot of it is from uniqlo and H&M, but i do stay away from the branded garbage that teens get into because it's not a look that appeals to me. even when people might make a comment here and there, i just ignore it, especially when the person making the comment is wearing an A&F polo with the collar popped.
laugh.gif

Asch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upgrading one's wardrobe and developing a personal style is, of course, an iterative process, typically requiring at least two or three rounds of buying-and-goodwilling with most articles of clothing until one gets things right. I'm still in the early stages of the process, and the occasional recognition of the cumulative costs involved tempts me to "give up" and revert to my pre-SF style, but so far I'm persevering. I'm sure most people on this forum went through some "awkward" phases in their wardrobe when they didn't, for example, have shirts slim enough to match their new denim, or shoes sleek enough for their non-flarez hems. Patience and self-delusion (that the upgrade cycle eventually will end) are key...
tounge.gif

cldpsu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by itskub
thats never crossed my mind. i cant imagine myself ever going in that direction. style is a very personal thing for me. im 20, and i believe im too 'mature' to be wearing mall-brand clothes. its just not who i am.
the only related-step ive taken is 'dress down' my wardrobe- and go out in a much more casual-i didnt think about this outfit-look.

though dont you think people who wear logoed A&F or whatever, are of that personality that younger girls tend to be attracted to? not the clothes.

I'd say its maturity not to conform. Too mature to not wear mall brand clothes doesn't make any sense.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I feel lazy then yes, I throw on something typical and walk out the door. That way at least I have the knowledge that even in my most lazy and desperate hours I am dressed better than 75% of my school.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads