• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are this shoes good to keep?

Azhar

Reaction score
Hi,
I have bought a pair of tan derby shoes from tk maxx recently, but I have second thoughts about it.
I wear chinos, suits or just formal trousers at work and outside work + jeans (only solid dark coloured)
So my style is quite smart formal to say that.
I want to have 2 or 3 pairs of shoes that can be versatile with charcoal and navy and jeans .
are these derby's good to keep? I have bought them because they were cheap - 30£ and really comfy. But have doubts about their versatility. Should I go for a darker brown and keep the tan for a nice pair of Brogues?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue there is that those shoes look cheap. They were cheap, so they're at least honest.

If you must buy cheap shoes, try to avoid any kind of heavy antiquing like that (avoid it on expensive shoes, too), and the light color of the shoe edge really draws attention to the fact that it's a cheap plastic sole with fake stitching.

dragos25

Reaction score
If you must buy cheap shoes, look for classic styling,dark colors and full grain leather upper and leather insole at the very least. Avoid antiquing, chunky or paper-thin soles and glossy corrected grain leather.
Buying a few stitched leather sole shoes (that you topy and/or put taps on so you avoid expensive resoles) is better that buying lots of cheap glued shoes. If you're okay with it, thrifting or ebay are great ways to score lightly used quality shoes.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you must buy cheap shoes, look for classic styling,dark colors and  full grain leather upper and leather insole at the very least. Avoid antiquing, chunky or paper-thin soles and glossy corrected grain leather.
Buying a few stitched leather sole shoes (that you topy and/or put taps on so you avoid expensive resoles) is better that buying lots of cheap glued shoes. If you're okay with it, thrifting or ebay are great ways to score lightly used quality shoes.

Indeed, these look dreadful and frankly will make you look cheap and certainly someone whose judgement is seriously flawed.

Azhar

Reaction score
Wonderful advice guys, I have already returned them even before reading the replies, the more I read, the more it makes sense. And if I'm thinking it's worth paying more for a better shoe.
What I am a bit wary to do is to wear shoes with leather sole, it just feels like I would be destroying them by only walking. The idea with the added taps would probably be the solution.
Can you tell me where can I find a good quality oxford black cap toe shoe? I suppose it's the first to start with. Should I go for dinaite or leather sole on working shoes?
And also, ebay sounds fun, but only when you know what to look for. Any shoe make and or sellers suggested?

Last edited:

dragos25

Reaction score
Before you buy stitched sole shoes, you should find out if you've got a reputable cobbler in your area that can resole shoes using the same materials and techniques and how much they charge. There are cobblers that will replace a goodyear welted leather sole with a sloppily glued rubber one - avoid those like the plague.
If nobody around can resole a GYW, then apply topys, heel covers and optionally toe taps. Doing so lets you remove and replace the topy and heel cover after you wear them out without affecting the leather sole.
Here's a good guide to sole additons : http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2014/03/additions-to-your-sole.html
Some people say that topying affects leather breathability or makes it rot, but I've never seen or heard this happen. It doesn't help that shoe manufacturers discourage topying in favour of their more expensive in-house resoling.
Naked leather soles wear just a bit faster than hard rubber ones in dry conditons, but when it's wet they soften up and wear faster.Plus, they tend to be slippery
I've had no experience with dainite but I've heard it wears harder than leather and is waterproof/less slippery at the cost of being more expensive to resole and unable to topy.
Allen Edmonds and Alden would be great options. If you can go into one of their stores, get your feet measured and see what lasts and shoes fit you well, you can then search for these shoes on ebay or AE seconds shoe bank if you're on a budget.Take care when buying from ebay that the leather sole is in good condition.
Read up on proper shoe fit here:http://www.thefineyounggentleman.com/shoes/how-to-tell-if-shoes-fit/

A pair of black plain or cap toe oxfords is essential to any man, especially if you wear suits, but keep in mind brown shoes tend to be more versatile.

Azhar

Reaction score
I'm in UK, London, overwhelmed, I would like to start with a dainite sole shoe and then buy a leather one, so I can have the option to swithch and rotate, and buy another one after 2-3 months. Or just buy a leather and add toppies. Where should I look? Herring, Loake, Barker? I think these are affordable

Azhar

Reaction score
Hi guys,
So after a bad period, broke up with my girlfriend
baldy[1].gif
I had gone into a shopping spree ...
So I had bought 5 pair of shoes, mainly because they were so cheap
Please can someone give their opinion if I should keep them?
I must say that what I need to know is which should I keep not for quality reasons but for versatility and style.

http://bit.ly/1I5Cx2D Rosewood luxury calf double monk
These costed me 50£, a bit big for my size but all buckled up there is small heel movement so I guess I could wear them.
A bit worried if they're too flashy, and also the colour

http://bit.ly/1JdVnX7 Black luxury calf wholecut shoes
£50 for this brand new pair. Perfect sizing, not sure though if I should keep them, could be too much for an office.

http://bit.ly/1MMNMVH Brown clarence toe cap brogue shoes

The code inside these leads to above Tyrwhitt result but inside the brand is "Saville row by Barker"
Also 50£, woul've preffered a darker shade of brown but I like these, not sure if they'r be good to wear with navy or charcoal so it would limit my options.

http://bit.ly/1EcC7fP Brown tumbled leather american saddle shoes
Chunky dainite sole in comparison with the leather, not a looker but they are comfy (although heavy) and could be good for autumn winter. Also what kind of trousers do you wear with this?

http://bit.ly/1hU43ez black heathcote toe cap oxford shoes
The purchase I am most happy about, from ebay, lightly used (only at a wedding seller says) for only &60

Which ones should I keep?

Last edited:

dragos25

Reaction score
First of all, sorry for your breakup, but it generally isn't wise to go shopping as "therapy". A drink would do you more good, and would (hopefully,though you never know) lead to less questionable purchases.
Second, if shoes don't fit- causing heel slippage and such, they'll make you miserable,cause blisters, and IMO it's not worth keeping them. Fit is subjective, and you'll have to judge for yourself, but shoes that are already too big won't get better.
The black plain-toe oxfords are suit appropriate, but they are a bit unusual and flashy.Construction looks pretty good, GY welted leather sole and such. You know your office environment better, but I suspect they should work fine in London.
Your last three links all lead to the same result- a pair of medium brown brogues. If they fit and you like them, I'd keep them. I think they would work fine with charcoal and navy, but it isn't the most conservative option - that would be the Black cap-toes.

Azhar

Reaction score
I think the links are sorted now. What do you think about the saddle shoes with dainite, black wholecut or double monk?
if they're not sorted here are the codes of the shoes:
double monk MC096BRN
Black wholecut MC091BLK
Brown clarence toe cap brogue - ML081BRN
brown tumbled leather American saddle shoes - ML109BRN

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance