1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are these nice shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mattjames, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

I am clueless when it comes to shoes. I think they look nice, but I don't know if this style is incredibly out of fashion or not. I know they aren't up to the higher standards held by many on this forum, but I'm on a budget and they're cheap. Do they look too cheap? [​IMG]

2. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Senior member

from afar they look almost to be from berluti ,or bontoni, if in that case, yes, those are high quality good shoes.
    who is the make on those buttefly loafers?

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

from afar they look almost to be from berluti ,or bontoni, if in that case, yes, those are high quality good shoes.
    who is the make on those buttefly loafers?

He said they're cheap so doubtful they're Berluti or Bontoni. not my cup of tea, but if you like them then that's all that matters.

4. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I think they're cool but you have to wear white polyester pants with them.

Staying aliiiiiiveeeeee

5. mattjames

mattjames Senior member

They are Arthur Barker, apparently, which means nothing to me. http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/ Do they really conjure up images of 70s disco? That's not a look I'm into... I do think they look fairly good. They are not exactly what I'm looking for in a shoe but on my budget I can't afford to be too choosy. Bear in mind that I would be wearing them with outfits rather more casual than this forum is typically geared towards. Basically are they hideously outdated?

6. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

They are Arthur Barker, apparently, which means nothing to me. http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/

Do they really conjure up images of 70s disco? That's not a look I'm into...

I do think they look fairly good. They are not exactly what I'm looking for in a shoe but on my budget I can't afford to be too choosy. Bear in mind that I would be wearing them with outfits rather more casual than this forum is typically geared towards. Basically are they hideously outdated?

I'd say no [meaning no, they are not hideously outdated]. Not everyone would go with the mirror-polish on loafers look, but there's nothing horribly "wrong" or necessarily "dated" about it. They're a bit flashy, but for a more casual outfit there's nothing wrong with that. If you like 'em, wear 'em in good health.

7. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

I actually meant that they were cool. I just think they're kind of retro.

8. Chris "Italia"

Chris "Italia" Senior member

9. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

I think these shoes if really cheap might be a tough call.

There are a lot of shoes in China, that from afar look EXACTLY like those shoes. Except when up close, you find out they have this glossy lacquered finish to it, but, looks like plastic. And is plastic.

I wouldn't take the risk

10. EL72

EL72 Senior member

They are not butterfly loafers and look made of plastic. If you're asking for an honest opinion, I think you can do better than that even on a budget.

11. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

if you are on a budget, i'd pass solely because wardrobe choices to compliment the shoes are so limited.

12. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

Barkers makes shoes of reasonable quality, from my perception a little higher in quality than most Loakes, but lower than Loake's top (1880) range and most Alfred Sargents and Grensons. They should be a fairly solid shoe, although the highly polished finish is a bit of an acquired taste.