• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these nice shoes?

mattjames

Reaction score
I am clueless when it comes to shoes. I think they look nice, but I don't know if this style is incredibly out of fashion or not. I know they aren't up to the higher standards held by many on this forum, but I'm on a budget and they're cheap. Do they look too cheap?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by diorshoe
from afar they look almost to be from berluti ,or bontoni, if in that case, yes, those are high quality good shoes.
who is the make on those buttefly loafers?

He said they're cheap so doubtful they're Berluti or Bontoni. not my cup of tea, but if you like them then that's all that matters.

mattjames

Reaction score
They are Arthur Barker, apparently, which means nothing to me. http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/ Do they really conjure up images of 70s disco? That's not a look I'm into... I do think they look fairly good. They are not exactly what I'm looking for in a shoe but on my budget I can't afford to be too choosy. Bear in mind that I would be wearing them with outfits rather more casual than this forum is typically geared towards. Basically are they hideously outdated?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mattjames
They are Arthur Barker, apparently, which means nothing to me. http://www.barker-shoes.co.uk/

Do they really conjure up images of 70s disco? That's not a look I'm into...

I do think they look fairly good. They are not exactly what I'm looking for in a shoe but on my budget I can't afford to be too choosy. Bear in mind that I would be wearing them with outfits rather more casual than this forum is typically geared towards. Basically are they hideously outdated?

I'd say no [meaning no, they are not hideously outdated]. Not everyone would go with the mirror-polish on loafers look, but there's nothing horribly "wrong" or necessarily "dated" about it. They're a bit flashy, but for a more casual outfit there's nothing wrong with that. If you like 'em, wear 'em in good health.

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these shoes if really cheap might be a tough call.

There are a lot of shoes in China, that from afar look EXACTLY like those shoes. Except when up close, you find out they have this glossy lacquered finish to it, but, looks like plastic. And is plastic.

I wouldn't take the risk

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are not butterfly loafers and look made of plastic. If you're asking for an honest opinion, I think you can do better than that even on a budget.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you are on a budget, i'd pass solely because wardrobe choices to compliment the shoes are so limited.

Anthony Jordan

Reaction score
Barkers makes shoes of reasonable quality, from my perception a little higher in quality than most Loakes, but lower than Loake's top (1880) range and most Alfred Sargents and Grensons. They should be a fairly solid shoe, although the highly polished finish is a bit of an acquired taste.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads