• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these Canali shoes shell cordovan?

lhuynh

Reaction score
I just bought these double monks for what I consider a really good price if they are calf, but if they are shell cordovan, I think I got an AMAZING deal.

Just not sure if Canali is just referencing the color vs the leather itself. The leather feels very waxy and it "seems" to ripple and the scratches buff out easily. I'm just not super familiar with identifying shell. While I was out shopping after buying the shoes, I asked the folks at Crockett & Jones to take a look as a favor, and they seemed to think they are probably shell cordovan. Just wouldn't commit.

Anyone familiar with Canali cordovan? Pictures below. Of course, Canali sizing is weird so not sure these fit quite right yet.

Also are they goodyear welted? They seem to be when I look at them.

Wallcloud

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes. In really nice shape too! Looks like calf to me. Hard to tell from the pics with such a small amount of wear.

Edit: I could be totally wrong on this.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes to your second question; they are 270° Goodyear welted. Congratulations to all. Beautiful double monks. :)

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely calf. Great looking monks...

lhuynh

Reaction score
Awesome. Thanks folks. I need to see what I think about the fit. Lovely shoes. Very happy with them for <$200.

Larry

manchambo

Reaction score

Awesome. Thanks folks. I need to see what I think about the fit. Lovely shoes. Very happy with them for <$200.

Larry

Less than 200 is indeed a great price. I believe I paid around 400 for them on sale at Saks. Seems to me full retail was around 650.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

eluther

Reaction score
You can't tell necessarily deduce that from a few photos of unworn shoes. However, it's unlikely that a Goodyear-welted shoe that retails for $600 is corrected grain.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think some Canali shoes use corrected grain. But what's the best way to confirm this? That is, what does corrected-grain leather typically look like?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads