• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these alterations possible for my Brioni Suit?

durdanta2

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im looking for some advice concerning tailoring for a Brioni suit i recently purchased second hand. My main concern is that the waist on the suit pants are much too big (about 8 inches) so i did some asking around and was told i would need to have them "recut". I was wondering if i can entrust such a job to a regular tailor as i am a little worried about ruining such a fine suit. I was also wondering if its possible to have the arms lengthened even just an inch or two?
My brother referred me to his tailor, who works at Neiman at the King of Prussia, PA mall, so im hoping he will be skilled enough but i am also open to any suggestions in the philadelphia area.

As a last resort i would also be willing to go directly to Brioni in NY as i heard they will alter any of their suit's, but would rather not unless i need to.

Lastly if such work is possible i would appreciate educated price estimates so i dont get overcharged.

Thanks in advance!

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uhh... you're taking 8 inches off the pants... but the jacket fits?

That's not completely unrealistic. I have a 12in drop, so otr suit pants usually fit me much worse than the jackets to...jackets don't fit well, but the pants fit worse.

durdanta2

Reaction score
yes i am a college athlete and i have a 52 inch chest but a 40-42 inch waist. Bought a 52 suit but the pant waist is 50 inches or so.

Last edited:

gsugsu

Reaction score
I'm not sure how easy it is to remove 8 inches from the pants and have everything remain the same. Didn't Foo have a problem with the way the pockets fit after 5 cm reduction. In his case the pants had to be remade. I'd be interested to hear what the re-cutting process entails.

durdanta2

Reaction score
i am open to having them recut/remade but i was wondering if this is something a skilled tailor can do? And if not where should i go for such work...

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yes i am a college athlete and i have a 52 inch chest but a 40-42 inch waist. Bought a 52 suit but the pant waist is 50 inches or so.  

Hang on a second, the Brioni suits i have are usually a drop 6-7 i.e jacket is 38r but the pants are 32ish (i say this because i have a 30 inch waist and sometimes i don't need the pant taken in) So if your jacket is a 52 the pants should be around 44-45ish as opposed to 50. Still given that its still goes over the general "2in in or out rule". i mean i suppose you can try a recut but this is really hit or miss. How much did you spend on the suit? are you ok with taking the risk? in the end this is all a learning process and other people posting successes and failures is not really relevant unless you are going to their exact tailors. In answer to your question it "can"(I'm using that word very gingerly) be done but the real question is are you willing to risk it.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^^^^ Perhaps it is a bespoke Brioni suit where the previous owner was a big dude.

True, i just thought of that. But if that is the case he probably should have asked this question before he bought it. I guess worse case he can just use the jacket. Btw does the jacket sleeves have working button holes? because that will affect weather you can lengthen the sleeves

durdanta2

Reaction score
i am thinking it was bespoke because i just went and measured and the pants are almost 26 inches across the waist (52 total) and the Ebay seller had 4 or 5 Brioni suits for sale at the same time all with the exact same measurements. I offered him 300$ the day it was posted and he sold me the one i wanted off ebay. I think he regretted it later as he told me he sold the other 4 for at least 1800$ each (and they all sold within a week) but he was very professional and i think took pitty on me when i told him i was a med student who couldnt afford anything more.

knowing the measurements i knew i would be needing to have it tailored and i figured i could even spend a few hundred on alterations and still have gotten a great deal.

gsugsu

Reaction score
MTO more likely unless Nieman Marcus does bespoke. No matter. What matter is how likely that the trouser waist can be reduced 8 inches and 2 inches added to the sleeve length (with surgeon's cuffs) without it becoming a wreck?

The suit is blue with light blue stripes reducing its ability to be worn as an odd jacket.

I'd be interested in what one of the tailors here would say.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i am thinking it was bespoke because i just went and measured and the pants are almost 26 inches across the waist (52 total) and the Ebay seller had 4 or 5 Brioni suits for sale at the same time all with the exact same measurements. I offered him 300$ the day it was posted and he sold me the one i wanted off ebay. I think he regretted it later as he told me he sold the other 4 for at least 1800$ each (and they all sold within a week) but he was very professional and i think took pitty on me when i told him i was a med student who couldnt afford anything more. 

knowing the measurements i knew i would be needing to have it tailored and i figured i could even spend a few hundred on alterations and still have gotten a great deal. 

I highly doubt this as you are able to find NWT Brioni suits for 1500 or so from time to time. 3-600 is the normal price for second hand ones

Edit: i just saw the auctions and i stand corrected. They actually did sell for 1k plus

Edit again: i just realized that they just ended and not necessarily sold. Because it listed "Price" as opposed to "Winning bid"

Last edited:

durdanta2

Reaction score
I highly doubt this as you are able to find NWT Brioni suits for 1500 or so from time to time. 3-600 is the normal price for second hand ones
Edit: i just saw the auctions and i stand corrected. They actually did sell for 1k plus
yea not sure, just relaying what he told me...

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway in response to your question regarding lengthening the sleeves, from the auction link the suit has surgeons cuffs if you lengthen it from the end it will look a bitt off. You can do it from the shoulder but that is pretty risky

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads