• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these Aldens worth saving?

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
admittedly I bought these used and paid next to nothing for them. The uppers seem to be in decent shape but they need new soles and possibly heels. Do you guys think they may be worth the work and money? can anyone recommend a cobbler in chicago?

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell, but Tom in Winnetka is a really good cobbler and he can tell you if he can save them. You could also try sending them to Alden for refurbishing.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can recomend a cobbler not to go to.

DO NOT GO TO BROOKS.

I brought in a pair in a similar situation, and $120+ later they had damaged them beyond repair. They put some massive gouges on the toes, resoled the shoe with Allen Edmonds soles (think triple sole look, on a nice pair of vintage church's), and had the audacity to try and etch out the name on the bottom.
I have called and e-mailed my displeasure and they have only ignored me.
Oh, they did the same thing to my wifes shoes too.

SO, I would send them out to an outfit in NY or St. Louis, think one of them is called beehive?

You will get a much better value, plus they ship them, not driving down to the loop.

Good luck.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are they worth it to you? Personally I'd rather save the money spent on refurbishing them, sell them on ebay for a few extra bucks, and then buy a new pair.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the outer soles worn through? Because they don't look very worn from the insoles.

emptym

Reaction score
Aldens are made to be resoled a few times. These look OK to me, unless if the toebox of the right shoe crushed. It looks like it from the pict. If so, I don't know if that can be repaired.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by emptym
Aldens are made to be resoled a few times. These look OK to me, unless if the toebox of the right shoe crushed. It looks like it from the pict. If so, I don't know if that can be repaired.

Actually, there are two methods of correcting the toebox:
1. While re-soling, replace the toeboxes. This is time consuming therefore expensive.
2. Insert a last inside the shoe. Saturate the upper in the toebox area with thinner. The thinner will melt the cement that laminates the toebox to the upper. Let the shoes cure on the lasts (at least overnight). As the thinner dries, the cement will re-bond causing the toeboxes to take shape while on the lasts. When fully dry the lasts are removed. There may be some cosmetic work to be done at this point, i.e. removing some of the creases on the toebox upper when it was crushed.

Results on this type of process are case by case. The shoes may not come out perfect but, at the very least there will a significant improvement.

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
well my sister suggested a cobbler that I guess has been around forever. I'm going to take them there and if it's reasonable I'll see how they come out.

emptym

Reaction score
Good stuff, Nick V. Thanks.
Good luck, ties@thedepot. Hope it works out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads