• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are the suts at last call and off 5th the same as the suits at Nieman Marcus/Sacks?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I dont know for a fact, but I think the pieces are made of cheaper fabrics to keep the cost down, not a different cut. Thats just for the pieces that they make specifically for the outlets. They also have unsold merch from the full price stores which is totally different from the outlet made items too.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen many suits at outlets that they would never carry in the store. That being said, you can still find main store quality suits at the outlet if you dig.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Recoil
I've seen many suits at outlets that they would never carry in the store. That being said, you can still find main store quality suits at the outlet if you dig.

yea, you definitely have to dig. Before the nashville floods we had a saks outlet and sometimes you could find some really good stuff. Theyd get a few cucinelli pieces, mainline zegna, etc. But i cant stress the word SOMETIMES enough. I got to be good friends with the mens dept manager and he knew my style and sizes. Got some great pieces...but mostly i miss the tie selection.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
the NM Last call by me has a good amount of Kiton and Brioni (sportcoats for a grand etc...), or at least they did when i was in there a few weeks ago. They also had a bunch of crap in there too. Just have to dig/be patient and you will find deals

trigirdbers

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I dont know for a fact, but I think the pieces are made of cheaper fabrics to keep the cost down, not a different cut. Thats just for the pieces that they make specifically for the outlets. They also have unsold merch from the full price stores which is totally different from the outlet made items too.

How can I, a noob, tell the difference. Stick with designer brands instead of store brands? Or do they produce cheaper stuff for the outlets as well?

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trigirdbers
How can I, a noob, tell the difference. Stick with designer brands instead of store brands? Or do they produce cheaper stuff for the outlets as well?

Theres not an easy way to describe how.. just a lot of trial and error. But generally, there are not tons and tons of the store float left over. If you see a whole size run of suits, then thats probably made for outlets. Another thing to look for is if the hangtag on the garment has a preprinted price on it, with a preprinted markdown (not a sticker). Im also pretty sure there is an item code that SO5th uses to denote store items vs. made for outlet items, but I forgot it. Maybe classified as 900? I dont remember... anyway, Im speaking predominantly for Saks here, because AFAIK, NM does not make RTW specifically for NMLC.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Im speaking predominantly for Saks here, because AFAIK, NM does not make RTW specifically for NMLC.

NMLC will sell some stuff made for NM that isn't usually found in the retail stores in that great of quantities, so I guess it's kinda made for NMLC, but not really. But I find they carry more stuff that couldn't sell versus house brand clothes. Saks is probably the worst for filling their outlets with house brand stuff, some of which can be pretty good; Barney's is in the middle, but sometimes they have high concentrations of SF approved stuff...

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What about Nordstrom's Rack? Same deal? There's one opening near my parents this week I was considering checking out.

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Many of the outlet stores are filled with "made for outlet" items.
Because, not many items from retail store make it to the outlet store.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
What about Nordstrom's Rack? Same deal? There's one opening near my parents this week I was considering checking out.

Theres nothing there worth checking out anyway.

*in before "I found a pair of crocodile bespoke Lobbs there once!" or something.

Ive been to NR like 50 times and have literally never bought anything.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are more Off-5th stores than there are main-line Saks. So, yeah, most of the stuff they offer has not come from a regular Saks.

Nordstroms Rack is even worse, partially because a main-line Nordstroms is pretty much a Macy's with a piano.

My observation, which is limited as I don't frequent these all that much, is that Nordstroms Rack is the worst. The vast majority of stuff is sourced specifically for the "outlet" -- and much of it is pretty awful.

Off 5th is a little better. They source stuff directly, too, but there is almost always at least some stuff from the main-line stores and sometimes quite a lot.

Last Call is the best, though also the most expensive. Last Calls do seem to have stuff sourced directly for them but it can sometimes be decent anyway. But they also have a far, far higher proportion of stuff from actual stores than do either of the other two. There are always, for example, a pretty good selection of ties. I have always seen some Charvet, though they are sometimes pretty ratty. But you can do that to a Charvet by frowning at it so maybe I can't really blame Last Call for that.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Nordstroms Rack is even worse, partially because a main-line Nordstroms is pretty much a Macy's with a piano.

I have always seen some Charvet, though they are sometimes pretty ratty. But you can do that to a Charvet by frowning at it so maybe I can't really blame Last Call for that.
Fantastic. Post more.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads