• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are small men's watches done?

Mark Anthony

Reaction score
I feel proportion to your wrist and overall size (height/weight) etc. is key. Then you need to look at thickness and overall styling as some 42mm watches look a hell of a lot bigger than others.

For dress watches 36-39 will be a range that will probably be safe regardless the trends and for casual 38-42.

Interestingly, when wristwatches first came in to existence they were essentially pocket watches put onto straps so the diameter was larger, say 40-45mm. Then come the 40s they got smaller and purists tend to associate the 50s and 60s as the quintessential period of what watches should be like. Then early 90s they grew again and now it appears some makers are slightly downsizing again.(JLC, Lange, Patek).

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

we can agree to disagree about tastes and watch size and lapel width and tie patterns all day long. That was never the issue. But it's the blanket judgement statements about someone in general due to their watch size I found extremely douchey.
to consider anyone wearing anything 44mm and above to be boorish or douchey no ifs and or butts? Seriously? You're cool man. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Sure I may see someone wearing "X" on their wrist and lament on how that may or may not look good - hell it may even look ridiculous to me. But that's all it is - their opinion of style. And while I may, in a moment of weakness, be so arrogant to think I might have better taste or style than that person with "X" on their wrist, I don't take it that extra step and think that this stranger is below me, nor a douche nor a boor based on his watch. I'm not 14.
First impressions not withstanding, letting yourself believe you're better than someone else based on a brief glimpse of their timepiece or wardrobe is just something I don't agree with. And I'm sure there are those that agree, and those that disagree. If you agree with that kind of thing, then good luck in life, it's going to be a bumpy and probably shallow ride for you. But that's just my view. It's a forum and just my opinion. I base character judgement on how people act, conduct themselves, and treat others - not on their clothes or possessions. I guess that's just how I was raised.
and to be clear - there are definitely distasteful watches in all sizes. And yes, many times the watch size/design may be in-congruent with what we think is acceptable. And I hate to repeat it here cause it's so cliche, but truly - wear what you like.

While I agree with you rnguy0001, I don't understand why you're responding to L.R.'s quote? I don't believe L.R. was talking about anyone other than himself.

Bill Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a 7" wrist and my two go to watches are a Helson Skin Diver ( a Blancpain 50 Fathoms Tribute watch) and a mid 1960s Omega Seamaster Deville I have on a tan strap. I wear the Seamaster Deville a lot and I do get compliments on it.

Really can't do anything bigger than 44mm otherwise it looks like a tuna can on my wrist.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score

I feel proportion to your wrist and overall size (height/weight) etc. is key. Then you need to look at thickness and overall styling as some 42mm watches look a hell of a lot bigger than others.

+1. Although it's rare for a small watch to wear big, some big watches wear small, especially if they're thin.

For dress watches 36-39 will be a range that will probably be safe regardless the trends and for casual 38-42.
Interestingly, when wristwatches first came in to existence they were essentially pocket watches put onto straps so the diameter was larger, say 40-45mm. Then come the 40s they got smaller and purists tend to associate the 50s and 60s as the quintessential period of what watches should be like. Then early 90s they grew again and now it appears some makers are slightly downsizing again.(JLC, Lange, Patek).

That's why people calling it a "trend" amuses me. Big wristwatches have existed for as long as wristwatches have existed. If anything is a "trend," it's that they became increasingly smaller. Now people are coming back around to big. Sort of like cell phones--it used to be the smaller, the better. Now people are asking for bigger iPhones and using mini tablets (e.g., Galaxy S3) as their phones. Is that a trend toward big? Not really; cell phones started out big and got smaller. People are just appreciating larger form factors again.

I have watches ranging from 36mm to 46mm. Each has its place.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1. Although it's rare for a small watch to wear big, some big watches wear small, especially if they're thin.
That's why people calling it a "trend" amuses me. Big wristwatches have existed for as long as wristwatches have existed. If anything is a "trend," it's that they became increasingly smaller. Now people are coming back around to big. Sort of like cell phones--it used to be the smaller, the better. Now people are asking for bigger iPhones and using mini tablets (e.g., Galaxy S3) as their phones. Is that a trend toward big? Not really; cell phones started out big and got smaller. People are just appreciating larger form factors again.
I have watches ranging from 36mm to 46mm. Each has its place.
It's not just the form factor that's influencing this it's because of what they are no using them for and the greater functionality. It's not only because they use them to text, or email, and play games, but also quite a few are using them to browse the internet, and heck some are even watching football on them.

Last edited:

onapthanh

Reaction score
Thanks, nice collection BTW, I appreciate the input. This post is more geared for the non-WIS. I'm curious what people think of "nice" watches that aren't necessarily in style. Why do I care? A watch is one of the few areas men can make a fashion statement, and unfortunately also be judged by said statement. I'm curious to how this choice in style is read by most. I suppose I'm wondering where folks with a sense of fashion make of "classic" style vs. current trend when it comes to watches.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads