1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are small men's watches done?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dapperdoctor, Dec 17, 2012.

1. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I wear fairly large watches (>40 mm), but I own a couple of smaller ones as well (say, 38 mm with a 16 mm band). My question is, are small watches a thing of the past? Have large, busy, watches taken over for good? A small watch can be fine if hidden under a shirt or a sport coat, but on its own it look a bit awkward these days.

2. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Depends on the watch - my dailywear is a 36mm Omega Seamaster, which I can hide under a shirt cuff and looks fine with a short-sleeve polo shirt

A small dress watch with jeans and a t-shirt would look very odd, whereas even a simple watch like Rolex's AirKing would look fine.

3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

I wear an Air King to work every day. I think it still looks great and don't have any plans to get rid of it. I also have a Seiko SKX007, which is a larger watch that I wear casually. I don't have huge wrists so both watches work for me.

1 person likes this.
  4. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I'm actually thinking of selling off my leather-banded smaller dress watches because I never wear them anymore.

5. sns23

sns23 Senior member

wear a watch proportionate to your wrist.

1 person likes this.
  6. Cant kill da Rooster

Cant kill da Rooster Senior member

I wear all sizes including a 36mm and a 38mm with short sleeves and I think they look pretty cool. (FYI, I have a 7" wrist).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  7. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I wear watches from 34mm to 45mm. The small ones are almost exclusively vintage pieces. In the contemporary context, small watches have one foot in the grave.

8. Johnboy

Johnboy Senior member

Dress watches definitely seem to be out of fashion currently, but they will never be out of style. In my opinion these current oversized fashion statement watches look crass when worn with a suit and tie. Casually, sports and or divers watches are fine.

9. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

IMO, hockey puck watches always look crass. I will judge you as a boor or a fratboyish douchebag if I see you wearing a giant 44mm piece of bling, no ifs, ands or buts.

Small watches pretty much always look better to my eye. They don't try to draw attention to themselves and scream how important the wearer thinks he is. Restraint is good, but in our look at me, reality TV culture, I'm not exactly shocked that subtlety and humility are out of style.

2 people like this.
  10. jt10000

jt10000 Senior member

It partially depends on the times. With many people wearing huge watches, what used to look "right" now might look a little small. Particularly for casual watches.

It also depends on the size of the wrist.

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

+1, I agree with every word you wrote

but prepare thy anus

12. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

I only like smaller watches. I'd say the trend is towards larger watches but it's not more than that. There's plenty of smaller ones to go around.

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

[​IMG]

36mm formal, 40mm casual.

14. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

I've been pondering this, because I have small wrists, and concluded that rectangular faces are quite attractive in smaller sizes. Can't quite afford a Tank Americaine, sadly, but...one day.

15. DJosef

DJosef Senior member

I personally avoid wearing large watches, for the same reason that I wouldn't be caught dead driving an SUV. These things might look good on a fella who is almost 7" tall and has the physique of a blacksmith, but for the rest of us, they give off a really bad "boyish" vibe, in fact they broadcast the polar opposite of genlemanliness.

16. sparrow

sparrow Senior member

This
    but give it 10 years, small watches will be back.
    and your watches value shouldnt depreciate much anymore

17. D M B

D M B Well-Known Member

I hang out on a lot of watch forums and I can guarantee you that small watches are not a thing of the past. Some specialty "tool" watches are >40mm, simply because they serve a specific purpose (Fliegers, Dive watches, etc). But a 46mm blinged out quartz watch with a movement spacer inside the case that holds a circuit board the size of a dime is never going to be cool to anyone who knows watches.

Wear what you feel comfortable with, but you will be less likely to get laughed at wearing a watch that is a little too small than you will wearing some obnoxiously large watch and looking like a toolbag.

18. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I'm a big fan of the 40mm point. It depends on your wrist size. People will smaller wrists looks best (in my opinion) wearing smaller watches and people with larger wrists, larger watches.

19. rnguy001

rnguy001 Senior member

I'm actually neither a boor nor fratboy douchebag. And I don't judge people by their watches. Just by what they say and do..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. PaisleySnail

PaisleySnail Well-Known Member

No - I think it's the opposite if anything. Hopefully really big watches will become a thing of the past.

My ideal range is 34mm-42mm.