• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Ralph Lauren Edward Green shoes the same quality?

heidegger

Reaction score
Are the Ralph Lauren (I think Purple Label) shoes made by Edward Green the same quality as the Edward Green label shoes?

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO yes, or least they were when I last bought from Ralph Lauren about 3 years ago. I own at least one pair of RLPL-badged EG shoes, one pair special ordered from EG through RL, and one pair bought on ebay and all three are of comparable quality--maaahvelous!!

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have at least 5 pair that I can think of off the top of my head - a pair of Barksdales in edwardian antique being my most well-worn pair. I havent noticed any quality deficiencies versus EG's for EGs own label or EGs re-branded for other labels. The brown leathers have the same lovely burnish/patina, and the soles show off the same channeled sole and slightly bevelled waist. The primary difference, to me anyway, is the toe shape - RL used to use the 89 last almost exclusively, as I understand it. They seem to be moving more towards the 888 as their "go-to" last lately.

Brooksville EG for RLPL on the 888:

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

The primary difference, to me anyway, is the toe shape - RL used to use the 89 last almost exclusively, as I understand it. They seem to be moving more towards the 888 as their "go-to" last lately.

+1 to this. The other difference I know of is that the EG for RL generally come with lasted trees, unlike regular EG models (at least they did when they were badged as RLPL). Aside from those small differences there are details that RL requests, such as an all-leather heel that they had on a model (the particular model escapes me) a few years ago.

Aside from the occasional tweak from Ralph, however, they are the same shoes.

PhiloVance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^^Unfortunately, the RLPL EG shoes dont come with lasted or unlasted shoe trees anymore. When they came with the mahogany trees, it was quite a deal. They have replaced the trees with a new model that has the same shape but used a lighter wood - I think Nore posted pics recently on the EG appreciation thread.

I think the new trees are about $50, not a bad price but obviously not as great a deal as when the mahogany trees came with the shoes.

Edit - yep, they seem to come out with seasonal models with special details requested by RL. The ranell is a recent example - it is the new, interesting saddle shoe design from EG with a captoe and no medallion. Normally, I think it has a plain toe (or two tone) - Leffot has an example of their blog.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Seem to be same quality - I had a lovely pair of black calf Ladbroke on the 888 last, with a very nice purple inner lining with silver handwritten sizing but apart from the lining I couldn't make out any differences in quality of materials nor construction.

Reaction score

IMO yes, or least they were when I last bought from Ralph Lauren about 3 years ago. I own at least one pair of RLPL-badged EG shoes, one pair special ordered from EG through RL, and one pair bought on ebay and all three are of comparable quality--maaahvelous!!

Yep I owned a pair of what looked like EG Ladbrokes on the 888 last & they were label RLPL, no discernable difference in materials ( but they were black calf rather than antiqued tan/browns) or quality of construction - both were excellent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads