• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How poor people think of how billionaires think. Why Frisco has more homeless than 3rd world Jakarta.

I don't care for the dress habits of today's billionaires, and wouldn't imitate people just because they're wealthy. That said, I skimmed the AoM article and agreed with some of the points in there: neckties are becoming less common in offices, it does signal a degree of professionalism for some environments, and there will probably always be a niche market of clothing enthusiasts who buy them.

I still think 90% of a tailored outfit revolves around the cut and styling of the coat. Not even the shirt, trousers, or shoes. When done well, those things take a backseat to the coat (meaning, they're not loud and draw attention to themselves). I mostly care about the coat and am not that bothered by the disappearance of the necktie.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think 90% of a tailored outfit revolves around the cut and styling of the coat. Not even the shirt, trousers, or shoes. When done well, those things take a backseat to the coat (meaning, they're not loud and draw attention to themselves). I mostly care about the coat and am not that bothered by the disappearance of the necktie.

90% of the public won't even notice the differences in the cut and styling of the coat. A blazer is a blazer. It's all about colors... and the watch peeking from the cuff. True story.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
90% of the public won't even notice the differences in the cut and styling of the coat. A blazer is a blazer. It's all about colors... and the watch peeking from the cuff. True story.

Yes, but dressing for me is partly a private pleasure and partly for the public. I don't dress purely for the public.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some Savile Row tailors don't even wear ties. (Don't know if Tom, the person in the second photo, counts as a SR tailor since he's based out of Carisle/ Wigton these days, but he used to work on the Row. I've gotten drinks with him a couple of times and from memory, I think he was open collar).

View attachment 1655765

ok, but isn't this tantamount to a tie?

i don't think this is picking nits , to me the composition is hardly different than if he were wearing the same fabric as a necktie, or a pocket square. like maybe the considerations change a little bit ,

in a way what he is doing has maybe more impact than a rote tie because the accent is mostly obscured, from the outside it's very suggestive in a good way but it all pulls attention towards the bust / face , same as any other pop be it necktie or bowtie or square

Mercurio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would he be admitted to the club?

Mameluco con corbata.jpg

Hellbent

Reaction score
Lots of self made billionaire dot-com / startup trash driving around in their lambos nowadays. The feeling of entitlement runs high in those. They feel no need to be respectful to other people because the I’m-paying-for-this mentality. It usually takes a couple of generations before the ego mellows. And maybe then the descendants will stop pissing on other people with the way they dress. Hopefully they will bring the neck tie back. Or maybe, if one could dream, the bow tie :)

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots of self made billionaire dot-com / startup trash driving around in their lambos nowadays. The feeling of entitlement runs high in those. They feel no need to be respectful to other people because the I’m-paying-for-this mentality. It usually takes a couple of generations before the ego mellows. And maybe then the descendants will stop pissing on other people with the way they dress. Hopefully they will bring the neck tie back. Or maybe, if one could dream, the bow tie :)

Not for nothing, but I feel like if anyone should have a sense of entitlement, it's the guy who made his own billions....rather than the kid who did nothing but inherit it.

Hellbent

Reaction score
Not for nothing, but I feel like if anyone should have a sense of entitlement, it's the guy who made his own billions....rather than the kid who did nothing but inherit it.
Indeed. The kid who inherit it should feel privileged enough as to treat people better.

EDIT: And doing so while wearing a tie, obviously :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads