• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are jeans supposed to fit like dress pants?

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
The best explanation I have come across for the difference between jeans or chinos and tailored pants is in how they are designed. Jeans are designed so as to lay flat across the side seams with no center crease. Tailored pants are designed to be creased down the center. If you took a typical pattern for tailored pants and made them up in denim without pressing a crease, they would not fit or look like jeans.
Hmm, interesting. Is this why a pair of jeans may look like its legs look wider seen from the front as compared to dressier pants with the same dimensions?

rjc149

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. Is this why a pair of jeans may look like its legs look wider seen from the front as compared to dressier pants with the same dimensions?
In short, yes. The crease in dress trouser legs is largely what shapes the silhouette -- uncreased dress slacks lose their form and shape and appear floppy and loose when you walk. The crease adds structure and shape to the thinner wool fabric, and slims the silhouette from the front.

Denim and chino cloth are thicker and sturdier than typical worsted wool fabric, and are generally not worn with creases since they are more casual.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
most typical jeans end up being around 14 oz , maybe a bit less if they are raw or sanforized ...

but worth noting that 3x1 denim comes in lighter weights ( my fave is 9oz ) and tend to get drapier in that direction , 2x1 or chambray are other options too

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of abbreviated history. Jeans originated as farmer clothes. Actually as clothes for California gold miners in the 19th century--Levi Strauss, whose partner Jacob Davis invented riveted jeans, started his dry-goods shop in SF during the Gold Rush, supplying workwear for the poor suckers who came looking for gold and mostly didn't find much. (Strauss made far more money than most of his customers.) Eventually denim, which was a fabric thought to have originated in France ("de Nimes"), became the preferred clothing of farmers and cowboys for its durability and ease of care.

After WW2, Levi's jeans were adopted by motorcycle gangs in California in part because the low-rise trousers were comfortable on bikes, but also because they represented a form of pre-hippie counter-culture--we're not farmers but we're still not wearing your tailored slacks anymore. That marked the beginning of the transition of denim from genuine workwear to more of a "style" statement unrelated to work--I'm a biker dude etc. Then came the '60s and the rest is history.

So...trying to make comparisons between the fit of jeans and the fit of tailored trousers is a bit like comparing the taste of pork to pineapple. They just don't equate. Most men these days like jeans that are fairly straight and slim, with a low rise--which may be very different from what the same men wear in a pair of tailored wool trousers or even chinos. Even if you don't ride a Triumph Bonneville (or rustle up cattle on the range), you probably want jeans that fit like you might. You will probably roll up the cuffs. You might not mind grease stains or knee holes. You might wash them once a year although I would recommend spot cleaning the crotch from time to time. God forbid they should have pleats or a high rise. Don't overthink jeans.

Last word: I generally never solicit a woman's advice on my clothing--not even from my girlfriend who is a women's wear designer. With one exception: jeans. Here I am happy to get advice from women on which jeans look best on me.

Dan Dynamic

Reaction score
A bit of abbreviated history. Jeans originated as farmer clothes. Actually as clothes for California gold miners in the 19th century--Levi Strauss, whose partner Jacob Davis invented riveted jeans, started his dry-goods shop in SF during the Gold Rush, supplying workwear for the poor suckers who came looking for gold and mostly didn't find much. (Strauss made far more money than most of his customers.) Eventually denim, which was a fabric thought to have originated in France ("de Nimes"), became the preferred clothing of farmers and cowboys for its durability and ease of care.

After WW2, Levi's jeans were adopted by motorcycle gangs in California in part because the low-rise trousers were comfortable on bikes, but also because they represented a form of pre-hippie counter-culture--we're not farmers but we're still not wearing your tailored slacks anymore. That marked the beginning of the transition of denim from genuine workwear to more of a "style" statement unrelated to work--I'm a biker dude etc. Then came the '60s and the rest is history.

So...trying to make comparisons between the fit of jeans and the fit of tailored trousers is a bit like comparing the taste of pork to pineapple. They just don't equate. Most men these days like jeans that are fairly straight and slim, with a low rise--which may be very different from what the same men wear in a pair of tailored wool trousers or even chinos. Even if you don't ride a Triumph Bonneville (or rustle up cattle on the range), you probably want jeans that fit like you might. You will probably roll up the cuffs. You might not mind grease stains or knee holes. You might wash them once a year although I would recommend spot cleaning the crotch from time to time. God forbid they should have pleats or a high rise. Don't overthink jeans.

Last word: I generally never solicit a woman's advice on my clothing--not even from my girlfriend who is a women's wear designer. With one exception: jeans. Here I am happy to get advice from women on which jeans look best on me.
Thank you for the brief history lesson :) I think I'll keep my high rise jeans then because I like them (12.5 inches rise matching my very short legs).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads