• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Appropriate context of these non-safe ties...?

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is gonna sound harsh, but they are ugly. All of them.

Jan_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
These all look dated - as in 88-92 dated to be precise.

Wonderful. Well, these were exciting and good years for us in Germany... I could wear them as German Reunification Remembrance Ties.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
This is gonna sound harsh, but they are ugly. All of them.

No problem with honest statements here... In fact I'm happy that I asked MC about my non-safe ties and got the feedback I wouldn't receive out there.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nautilus
They are all really ugly, and I generally don't have a problem with loud ties (I like a lot of Duchamp styles, for example). They do seem old and they look cheap. The colors, the style, the look of the silk, all of it.

Excellent job mentioning Duchamp. There are lots of tie companies out there that do a great job with flashier styles (Duchamp is one of my favorites, but there's also Charvet and Hermes, all somewhat different in their approach to color, pattern, and texture).

If you want to wear an attention-grabbing tie, do it! No need to be tacky about it, though...

Ties-1.jpg

(Random picture I had laying around... Tom Ford and Duchamp)

epa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are all ugly IMO, but in what regards the second from the left, I wonder whether there is something wrong with my eyes or with my computer screen... what I see is horrible!

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not my type and I wouldn't give them a second look if someone came into a meeting with them (as long as the lower part of #2 is hidden). I'd say #3 is your best bet out of these.

But damn, the rainbow colored one on top of this pages (I guess it's the Duchamp) is at least as ugly.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Szeph el ratón
But damn, the rainbow colored one on top of this pages (I guess it's the Duchamp) is at least as ugly.
I am pretty sure that I took that pic for a "post ties that you love but SF hates" thread.
smile.gif
It gets a ton of compliments IRL, and is nowhere near as ugly as that slate gray printed 80's tie, or the godawful Versace low-level-Mafia tie.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
the godawful Versace low-level-Mafia tie.

plain.gif
I hope you are not generalizing, bleachy.
smile.gif

BTW, where you been in WAYWRN? Its been a bit.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I am pretty sure that I took that pic for a "post ties that you love but SF hates" thread.
smile.gif

It gets a ton of compliments IRL, and is nowhere near as ugly as that slate gray printed 80's tie, or the godawful Versace low-level-Mafia tie.

I think that tie would be way fun to wear! I can only see myself wearing it with nothing but solids with it though.

OP's ties look like the ones I would find left at salvo/thrift stores.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
plain.gif
I hope you are not generalizing, bleachy.
smile.gif
BTW, where you been in WAYWRN? Its been a bit.

LOL!! Of course! I don't think that's Versace anyway, no Greek keys or medusas. I do notice that the last (ugliest?) one is Givenchy. I just haven't been doing any interesting fits lately. My sister-in-law's house got destroyed in the big Nashville flood and they have been moving in. I've been over there with a suitcase full of DeWalt helping them put stuff together. So you are just missing out on my work clothes.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics