1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Appropriate context of these non-safe ties...?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jan_, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Jan_

Jan_ Senior member

I'm kinda tie-illiterate (-> suitability) so I'm asking the MC swarm intelligence about these (probably) non-safe ties with regard to the context in which they can be worn (i.e., if they can be worn at all):

[​IMG]

I like the first three ones for business (note: I run my own businesses and lead negotations, do product presentations a.s.o. so I guess I'm allowed to be bold from time to time) and yachting events and alike. The 2nd one could look dated, but I'm not sure--but with the SC closed the lower part isn't seen anyway.

The 4th one looks to me like a Persian rug, but I like it. It looks fine with lighter odd jackets. I'm unsure about suitability for business so I only used it for vernissages and similar events.

The 5th one is only for the (not so often) occasion that I get invited to a tennis match (as a spectator). But what do you think, is it stupid? (It's a woven tennis player with woven crossed tennis rackets).

The 6th one reminds me of harvest festival and I totally like the colours. But I only dare to wear it when talking to SME customers... [​IMG]

Your thoughts?

2. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

I don't particularly like any of them. 1, 3 & 4 may be wearable. The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.

3. jdldore

jdldore Well-Known Member

They are not my style, but I am a lawyer and generally play it on the safer side. They are bold and would suit a bold personality. I do not think #5 is "stupid" at all, but I like to watch and play tennis. If you like them, then you should wear them comfortably.

4. Pieceofsand

Pieceofsand Senior member

1 and 3 could work with the right pieces. i feel like 2 and 4 could be wear underneath a v-neck. 4 and 5 say hello to the trash can. j/k.

5. Gwarg

Gwarg Senior member

I don't particularly like any of them. 1, 3 & 4 may be wearable. The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.
    +1

6. Jan_

Jan_ Senior member

The other three should not be worn under any circumstances.

Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

If you like them, then you should wear them comfortably.

So you wouldn't think I'm clueless trash when you meet me wearing them? Whew...

1 and 3 could work with the right pieces. i feel like 2 and 4 could be wear underneath a v-neck. 4 and 5 say hello to the trash can. j/k.

To you the same question: Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

7. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

So you wouldn't think I'm clueless trash when you meet me wearing them? Whew...

To you the same question: Because you think they're (a) not your taste, (b) are dated, (c) are wrong for formal reasons?

Because it looks like you're trying too had

8. Jan_

Jan_ Senior member

Because it looks like you're trying too had

Trying what too hard? Could you be a bit more specific? I can't afford to be a shy person, so I've no problem with loud ties, if loudness is your issue.

9. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

Trying what too hard? Could you be a bit more specific? I can't afford to be a shy person, so I've no problem with loud ties, if loudness is your issue.

Trying too hard to stand out ... Which if is what you need to do, all the best to ya

10. Nautilus

Nautilus Active Member

They are all really ugly, and I generally don't have a problem with loud ties (I like a lot of Duchamp styles, for example). They do seem old and they look cheap. The colors, the style, the look of the silk, all of it.

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Get rid of all. Get some ties that are not so "busy!"

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

They can all be pulled off provided you have the confidence to wit. I don't.

13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

x1,000
    Yes.

14. Jan_

Jan_ Senior member

They do seem old and they look cheap.

That leads me to two questions.

(1) How old do they look? 90s? 80s?

(2) How can I see whether ties are of better quality? If the brands won't give me some certainty (the ties above are from Brioni, Givenchy, Altea Milano)...

15. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

they look extremely 90s. I would only wear #5 in a casual setting (and if I played tennis, which I don't) and burn the rest

stop looking at the back of the tie when choosing ties (labels). look at the front. that's the side other people have to look at when you wear it

16. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

These all look dated - as in 88-92 dated to be precise. Any tie with jacquard action should be immediately passed on.

17. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

Send those to Eric Glennie.

18. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

This is gonna sound harsh, but they are ugly. All of them.

19. Jan_

Jan_ Senior member

These all look dated - as in 88-92 dated to be precise.

Wonderful. Well, these were exciting and good years for us in Germany... I could wear them as German Reunification Remembrance Ties. [​IMG]

This is gonna sound harsh, but they are ugly. All of them.

No problem with honest statements here... In fact I'm happy that I asked MC about my non-safe ties and got the feedback I wouldn't receive out there.

20. bleachboy

bleachboy Senior member

They are all really ugly, and I generally don't have a problem with loud ties (I like a lot of Duchamp styles, for example). They do seem old and they look cheap. The colors, the style, the look of the silk, all of it.

Excellent job mentioning Duchamp. There are lots of tie companies out there that do a great job with flashier styles (Duchamp is one of my favorites, but there's also Charvet and Hermes, all somewhat different in their approach to color, pattern, and texture).

If you want to wear an attention-grabbing tie, do it! No need to be tacky about it, though...

[​IMG]

(Random picture I had laying around... Tom Ford and Duchamp)