• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone sick of summer yet?

sfo423

Reaction score
I love summer; but San Francisco is not really a 'four season' locale.

Fall/Indian summer is our best season; rarely topping 80s in the City. Women in skimpy clothing, shorts & short sleeves on the bike through most of Nov., less tourons, etc.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prada_Ferragamo
I tried to wear linen. But it's still hot as hell. Today I could have literally squeezed out water from my dress shirt after I walked from my car to the gym which was only a few hundred feet. This is why I like cool/cold weather, you can always put clothes on. But in the summer, there is only so much you can take off before getting arrested for indecent exposure.

On the side note, how breathable is silk. I was thinking about getting a few silk shirts. But it seems it's a hassle to clean them since dry clean is the only option.

I have to confess that my linen shirt was soaked after a brief walk from my car to the office this morning. Although my linen jacket is unlined, the heat and humidity is just too high. The jacket is now off and will remain so.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was about 38 Celsius today, and I wore a full necktie, etc. Perhaps the Thom Browne look would be useful for such weather.
thom_browne.jpg

chocoball

Reaction score
32 degrees celsius and 80% relative humidity today....db and necktie....normal office garb
tongue.gif
summer in southern china sucks, we've got 6 months to go.

IIIrd Icon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
****, sign me up for one of those. I sweat like a pig, when I play bball or tennis I look like I've been playing for 3 hours after 5 mins.

I often wonder what is wrong with me. In fact its time to start a thread...

[arm]pituitary gland, maybe ?

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im from the east coast of Canada..... what's summer?

Im still brand new into fine clothing, and I already hate summer for it. Dressing nice for summer: Buy a shirt that looks good. Roll up sleeves. Repeat.

In winter my 2nd hand clothing finds were nice because I could layer them and have some fun. But in summer, you basically have to spend good money on shirts.... because one layer is all you get.

No.XIII

Reaction score
Not as sick as being in my country where it is practically summer whole year long. Unstructured linen sportcoats are the best we can pull out if some of the gents in this hellhole decide to move up a notch from their usual tee-and-shorts assemble. Suffice to say, I feel sick all year long having my tweed coats stucked in the wardrobe, rotting away.
facepalm.gif
Originally Posted by ginghaman
Well, back to the topic, its summer 365 DAYS here in Sing. It so terrible that you can't even enjoy a nice stroll in a park without breaking into sweat. SC, sweaters, cardigans? Forget it. Tweed? What's that? I say be grateful that summer is merely a few months at your side of the world. Cheers
smile.gif

Ditto, my good neighbour. Ditto.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer is much better here in DC after I started stocking up unlined slacks, such as those made by Oxxford. I'm wearing a pair today that feels like ultralight linen but is wool. Very cool. I also wear crew-length socks on the hottest days, which helps some. Regarding shoes, the thinner the insole/sole, the better/cooler. And the best recent find -- linen baseball cap from Paul Stuart. It keeps the sun out of my face yet lets air circulate. Fantastic item, particularly for someone who's not ready to walk amongst work colleagues with a panama hat.

In order to avoid missing my nice fall blazers, I pack up all that stuff (and other cold-weather clothes) in garment bags, etc. and put it into attic storage until September.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yfyf
I don't mind wearing lighter clothes, more colour etc etc, in fact I really enjoy my summer wardrobe as well. However, when you are sweating all the time and it is too hot to even walk around, let alone walk around with more than your thinnest shirt on, how is that fun at all?

In the winter, I'm out on the street a lot more. You can stay warm by putting on a heavier coat and walk a little faster. In summer, you can't do anything to get cooler if you're already in a t-shirt and shorts.

I hear ya. Even when I sweat after walking outside a bit, it doesn't make me yearn for fall/winter because of it. I'll feel uncomfortable but honestly, it doesn't matter to me. Besides, I don't walk 30 mins to my work, so it's not a real problem.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was glorious in Folkestone today..The sun was shining and the linen suit was out...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads