• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know if all the pockets of a blazer and waistcoat (vest) need to be opened?

Reaction score
My tailor basically convinced me to only have the "x"'s removed from the back of my blazer and the chest pocket opened, and insisted the 2 flap pockets on the bottom front remain the way it was-- closed. I did a search shortly after I left the tailors and realized one is not really supposed to use the front pockets, but one should have the stitching removed from the flap pockets, regardless.

Also, when it comes to vests, I don't really plan on using them except maybe occasionally storing a bus ticket or something small and lightweight. Sartorial-wise, do all the pockets need to be opened up?

Thanks guys!

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who cares?

I wouldn't open them because I wont use them, and an open one might catch on something, or invite temptation.

Otherwise there is no reason to open them, and no reason not to open them. Do what you like.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This really is an odd thread - they are there to be used and are not decorative. However if you prefer not to use them then don't. Your so-called tailor is speaking nonsense.

They are there for transit reasons and as a throwback to days when the malevolent put explosive devices in the pockets of garments on rack in RTW shops.

Reaction score
Hmm, I suppose I will have them opened then, as I don't want them left closed if they are NOT meant for decorative reasons. Of course, I won't use them, but then again, I don't use my dress shirt pockets and those are always open.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads