• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone have exp with Boguslaw for alterations?

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
greeting from the middle east! there ain't no sartorial splendor where i am right now, i can tell you that much-- but when i get back, i need to have several suits well tailored, thought i might try Boguslaw in Chicago (i've read the shop is really good).

does anyone have experience using this tailor for alterations on brioni/ kiton/ borrelli, etc. fine clothing?

thanks!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EDIT: He's a friendly enough guy, but to be honest (edit) I personally did not find him very efficient.
I am a very dissatisified ex customer and I'll leave it at that.
I hear he does a nice job for women, as they are into more the 'in' thing and fashion

Go across the street to Chris Despos, he is light years ahead of Bougslaw. Tell him Soph sent you
wink.gif
He has those Dormeuil ties also at a fair price.

Despos
34 East Oak 3rd floor
Call in advance for an appointment
312-944-8833
or call his cell which he's leaves on the message.
***He only charges you once, and then you can wear it awhile and get it refined, he's a perfectionist, a true bespoke tailor, and he can help you inalot of little ways, the other guys just have no idea in Chicago He understands color, hues, design relative to your body type, the event to wear it to. etc. etc. And he's not in a rush which is where aot of mistakes are made. He salvaged a great Kiton Tux for me. He's a bit pricey, but you can't put a price on doing things the right way. For example: He'll tell you when sleeves are off and fix them, even though he has to go do a bit more work, something the other guys would tell you, oh you look great now get out, I have to cash your check.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow! now i am REALLY glad i asked....best not to believe the hype, and ask someone like yourself who has actual experience with this tailor. I'll take your advice and go to Despos (who is also a forum member, i think?). Do you think he will be willing to tailor a bunch of stuff i bought from other locations/ things I didn't buy in his shop?

Thanks!

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
wow! now i am REALLY glad i asked....best not to believe the hype, and ask someone like yourself who has actual experience with this tailor. I'll take your advice and go to Despos (who is also a forum member, i think?). Do you think he will be willing to tailor a bunch of stuff i bought from other locations/ things I didn't buy in his shop?

Thanks!

----- You'll have to ask. He's what a tailor should be. In fact, Boyer, Flusser and probably even Manton (I'm guessing) would regard him as one of the best in the states.

mciaglia

Reaction score
You may want to temper your critique of Boguslaw. Perhaps you disagree with his sense of style, but his being fashion forward does not necessarily make him a hack. I've been several times and have always been very satisfied. In fact, I have a suit over there right now that I'll be picking up next week. True, you may need to wait, but for me, given my schedule, I prefer a place I can go without an appointment. Ironically enough, I found styleforum a few years back by searching for a tailor in Chicago and then coming across a thread recommending him. Even in that post, if I remember correctly, the caveat was noted that he has a definite idea of how things should look.

It's not to say Despos isn't a better tailor, and maybe better for Foxx's needs. I just don't think he should be written off as a hack.

Of course, maybe the writing is on the wall and I need to come to terms with my non- discerning, no idea having self.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mciaglia
You may want to temper your critique of Boguslaw. Perhaps you disagree with his sense of style, but his being fashion forward does not necessarily make him a hack. I’ve been several times and have always been very satisfied. In fact, I have a suit over there right now that I’ll be picking up next week. True, you may need to wait, but for me, given my schedule, I prefer a place I can go without an appointment. Ironically enough, I found styleforum a few years back by searching for a tailor in Chicago and then coming across a thread recommending him. Even in that post, if I remember correctly, the caveat was noted that he has a definite idea of how things should look.

It's not to say Despos isn't a better tailor, and maybe better for Foxx's needs. I just don’t think he should be written off as a hack.

Of course, maybe the writing is on the wall and I need to come to terms with my non- discerning, no idea having self.

---Okay, I'll edit, I am very dissatisfied ex-customer. And Despos is dramatically better and highly recommended IMO. He's very good, in fact, he's discerning and strives for excellence, and I hope the competition ups their game to compete. Then again, Despos can create a suit from the cloth and event selection to the finishing details. He's even got a bespoke shirt maker now on premise.

I'll just sum it up by saying it's like Night and Day.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't know Mr. Despos did alterations, I thought I read somewhere he didn't. I would run to him if that is true.

I know the RL people recommend Boguslaw for work if you want another tailor, and I had a brief interview with him and decided his personality and mine would not agree.

When I pay for any service, I want to generally trust , and get along with them.

I have had terrible times with the local tailors to the point that I know type up everything I want done and have copies attached to the sale order so there are no questions.

I saw that buttonless overcoat he did and was in love with that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads