• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any Suggestions for Bespoke suit in Los Angeles or SF?

soto_nw

Reaction score
Hi All, In an attempt to try to look forward I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a bespoke tailor in Los Angeles or SF. I'm getting married in the Fall of 2021, and would like to have a tux made - are there any bespoke tailors in those locations that people would suggest?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
In Los Angeles, you can try High Society or MyTailor. Depending on your budget, Luca from Rubinacci also visits the city once every three or four months, although that schedule is a bit uncertain now with the pandemic.

In the Bay Area, your options are mostly limited to traveling tailors. Many of the Savile Row firms, including Henry Poole and Anderson & Sheppard, visit the city. I use Steed, Solito, and I Sarti Italani. I think all three do really good work. Steed cuts something know as a drape cut. I think the cut works on a broader range of body types because it's somewhat soft, but has enough structure to lend its own silhouette. Solito is the softest construction of the three, which comes with a different set of pros and cons. I Sarti is somewhere in the middle and I find to be the most flexible in terms of house style.

But like with Rubinacci in Los Angeles, the travel schedule now is a bit uncertain for traveling tailors. You will need to account a little more than a year to get a suit from a traveling tailor, depending on their schedule. Factor in the first meeting, then two to three fittings. Tailors typically visit one every three to four months, depending on the firm. It's unclear what travel restrictions will be like after this summer. It may be the case that new travel bans are imposed in the future, so this may be something to consider.

Congrats on getting married, btw!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Work with someone local. Maybe try a jacket first before a Tuxedo for a wedding to get the fit right. First garments aren't always successful.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than 10 years ago Men's Style blogger Sleevehead visited a bespoke tailor
in Santa Monica , Enzo Caruso. I am not sure whether Caruso is still operating,
although the internet indicates that he is still around.

Last edited:

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi All, In an attempt to try to look forward I am wondering if anyone has suggestions for a bespoke tailor in Los Angeles or SF. I'm getting married in the Fall of 2021, and would like to have a tux made - are there any bespoke tailors in those locations that people would suggest?
Depending on budget I would just go with Tom Ford or Brioni tux (if it fits you off the rack). I'm sure nobody here will recommend this but if it fits you good off the rack there is something to be said about being done with it and "not wasting time on back and forth". Alternatively go with someone local like "Tailor's Keep" in SF. Especially with this uncertainty of Covid-19, I would not count on all the travelling tailors... frankly I just started the bespoke journey with richard anderson from savile row a year ago, while the experience was cool I started to get a little annoyed with all the waiting and shipping, even though the work was pretty good.

soto_nw

Reaction score
In Los Angeles, you can try High Society or MyTailor. Depending on your budget, Luca from Rubinacci also visits the city once every three or four months, although that schedule is a bit uncertain now with the pandemic.

In the Bay Area, your options are mostly limited to traveling tailors. Many of the Savile Row firms, including Henry Poole and Anderson & Sheppard, visit the city. I use Steed, Solito, and I Sarti Italani. I think all three do really good work. Steed cuts something know as a drape cut. I think the cut works on a broader range of body types because it's somewhat soft, but has enough structure to lend its own silhouette. Solito is the softest construction of the three, which comes with a different set of pros and cons. I Sarti is somewhere in the middle and I find to be the most flexible in terms of house style.

But like with Rubinacci in Los Angeles, the travel schedule now is a bit uncertain for traveling tailors. You will need to account a little more than a year to get a suit from a traveling tailor, depending on their schedule. Factor in the first meeting, then two to three fittings. Tailors typically visit one every three to four months, depending on the firm. It's unclear what travel restrictions will be like after this summer. It may be the case that new travel bans are imposed in the future, so this may be something to consider.

Congrats on getting married, btw!

Hi,

Thank You. Yes, I've been thinking of using MyTailor (Joe and Divij Hemrajani). I was also considering one of the traveling Tailors like Henry Poole (I'd like a bit more structure on this item).. I was also considering Huntsman, though I'm realizing that my budget probably doesn't go that high, I'm thinking a top range of $4500. I was also thinking of using Jonathan Behr in LA if anyone has thoughts on him - I'm in Sacramento so the Bay Area and LA are the easiest for me to get to (I'm originally from LA and have family there - will be getting married there too).

In any case thank you for the assistance. Hope you, and your family, are staying safe and healthy.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Work with someone local. Maybe try a jacket first before a Tuxedo for a wedding to get the fit right. First garments aren't always successful.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally I'd love to go with someone local (I'm in Sacramento, but go to LA often for family - well I did pre-Covid).

I think the problem is finding someone local that is bespoke. Fair amount of "custom"/MTM, but few bespoke options (and I'd like to go full bespoke, but am considering something like MyTailor, which has a "bespoke" option). I'm thinking of a budget range of up to $4500.

Hope you're staying safe and healthy.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. Ideally I'd love to go with someone local (I'm in Sacramento, but go to LA often for family - well I did pre-Covid).

I think the problem is finding someone local that is bespoke. Fair amount of "custom"/MTM, but few bespoke options. I'm thinking of a budget range of up to $4500.
Tailor's Keep in San Francisco comes highly recommended here on Styleforum, I have been meaning to try them. They offer true bespoke and MTM should be right within your budget

soto_nw

Reaction score
Depending on budget I would just go with Tom Ford or Brioni tux (if it fits you off the rack). I'm sure nobody here will recommend this but if it fits you good off the rack there is something to be said about being done with it and "not wasting time on back and forth". Alternatively go with someone local like "Tailor's Keep" in SF. Especially with this uncertainty of Covid-19, I would not count on all the travelling tailors... frankly I just started the bespoke journey with richard anderson from savile row a year ago, while the experience was cool I started to get a little annoyed with all the waiting and shipping, even though the work was pretty good.

Hi,

Yes, I was looking at Tailor's Keep in SF and Jonathan Behr in LA (as well as MyTailor in SoCal). My budget is up to $4500 (maybe a bit more). Ideally, I'd like a "true" bespoke option.

I think if I were to go ready to wear I'd just go with a Suit Supply tux to save both time and money.

Thanks again. Hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy right now.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Yes, I was looking at Tailor's Keep in SF and Jonathan Behr in LA (as well as MyTailor in SoCal). My budget is up to $4500 (maybe a bit more). Ideally, I'd like a "true" bespoke option.

I think if I were to go ready to wear I'd just go with a Suit Supply tux to save both time and money.

Thanks again. Hope you and your family are staying safe and healthy right now.
your budget should get you high-end bespoke, I would check their instagram and see what you like in terms of style... I think my tailor is more of a "budget option" but I heard and have seen good results

soto_nw

Reaction score
your budget should get you high-end bespoke, I would check their instagram and see what you like in terms of style... I think my tailor is more of a "budget option" but I heard and have seen good results

Yes, so far my top choices are MyTailor (like 90% bespoke) and Tailor's Keep (true bespoke) because I've seen and heard good things from/about both. I know a "bespoke" option from MyTailor will run about $2500-$2800, but not sure how much a bespoke Tux is from Tailor's Keep.

But I was wondering what other options might be out there or folks knew about other tailors (like Jonathan Behr in LA).

I really appreciate your help. Hope you're staying safe and doing well.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tailors Keep mostly does MTM, but Ryan there is a good fitter and he's honest about what he can deliver. Online, I think you'll mostly find very slim suits from them. But they can make something more classic fitting (and I would encourage a more classic fitting silhouette, as I think it'll weather trends better).

They also have an in-house tailor, who they use for bespoke. I've only used them for bespoke trousers, not coats. I do really like my trousers, however. I don't know how their in-house coats look.

MyTailor does good work.

There aren't many local options in San Francisco. The trouble with going with a traveling tailor, in this instance, is that you don't know whether there will be a travel ban in the future.

I would be cautious about going with Huntsman.

soto_nw

Reaction score
Tailors Keep mostly does MTM, but Ryan there is a good fitter and he's honest about what he can deliver. Online, I think you'll mostly find very slim suits from them. But they can make something more classic fitting (and I would encourage a more classic fitting silhouette, as I think it'll weather trends better).

They also have an in-house tailor, who they use for bespoke. I've only used them for bespoke trousers, not coats. I do really like my trousers, however. I don't know how their in-house coats look.

MyTailor does good work.

There aren't many local options in San Francisco. The trouble with going with a traveling tailor, in this instance, is that you don't know whether there will be a travel ban in the future.

I would be cautious about going with Huntsman.

Thank you. Yes, I tend to prefer more classic details (some exceptions, for example I own Suit Supply jackets and suits in Havana, which is a slim cut, but wears well on me because I like to have a good nip at the waist - though they at least keep a well proportioned lapel - the other suits I own are a bit less slim)

But especially with a tux I'd like a good classically well structured and proportioned suit.

I have seen some of Tailor's Keep's work, and it does look good (you're right that they seem a bit more "on trend", though I'm sure they wouldn't have trouble cutting higher waisted pants and a well proportioned jacket)

Yeah, the appeal of MyTailor is that the price is very competitive and they are just short of Bespoke (because the makers and pattern maker are not the same ones present at the measurement). I'd say 80%-90%Bespoke.

Sacramento does have R. Douglas, but they do MTM and go straight to finish, and I'd prefer to have a bit more of a process to just get everything right.

Ideally I would like a fully bespoke garment for my wedding day, but if I can't find anything then there's nothing I can do about that. I know Jonathan Behr is in LA, but have not really heard much about him/his work.

Is there a reason you say that about Huntsman?

Thanks again, hope you're staying healthy and safe.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thank you. Yes, I tend to prefer more classic details (some exceptions, for example I own Suit Supply jackets and suits in Havana, which is a slim cut, but wears well on me because I like to have a good nip at the waist - though they at least keep a well proportioned lapel - the other suits I own are a bit less slim)

But especially with a tux I'd like a good classically well structured and proportioned suit.

I have seen some of Tailor's Keep's work, and it does look good (you're right that they seem a bit more "on trend", though I'm sure they wouldn't have trouble cutting higher waisted pants and a well proportioned jacket)

Yeah, the appeal of MyTailor is that the price is very competitive and they are just short of Bespoke (because the makers and pattern maker are not the same ones present at the measurement). I'd say 80%-90%Bespoke.

Sacramento does have R. Douglas, but they do MTM and go straight to finish, and I'd prefer to have a bit more of a process to just get everything right.

Ideally I would like a fully bespoke garment for my wedding day, but if I can't find anything then there's nothing I can do about that. I know Jonathan Behr is in LA, but have not really heard much about him/his work.

Is there a reason you say that about Huntsman?

Thanks again, hope you're staying healthy and safe.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the distinction between made to measure and bespoke. It matters to some degree, but what matters most is whether someone can deliver you a good suit.

I've heard bad stories from Huntsman customers, and I believe they're currently dealing with some issues. I think even with bespoke, it can be easy to get drawn in by a company's branding or prestige. Try to get stories from actual customers and look at photos of real-life people (maybe check hashtags on Instagram and see who tagged a company). Don't pay that much attention to well-stylized photos. And try to find people with a similar build to you to see if you think you want to look like that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads