• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get Purple Label. Blue Label is for plebes and women.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always been an Islay man with Lagavulin16 being my favorite. I like Laphroig QC, 15 and 18 (when I can find it) occasionally and Talisker as well.

I can drink the Speysides but they're not very interesting to me.

I like the reek but I'm wanting to get away from the iodine and kelp....just for the novelty/experience if nothing else.

So...what I'm looking for is a really good Highland Malt (no blends)...somewhere under or around $100.00. Priced like Lag perhaps. Nothing under 12 years old.

Any suggestions?

Glenmorangie?

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
...oops

Last edited:

kayjaybee

Reaction score
I've always been an Islay man with Lagavulin16 being my favorite. I like Laphroig QC, 15 and 18 (when I can find it) occasionally and Talisker as well.
I can drink the Speysides but they're not very interesting to me.
I like the reek but I'm wanting to get away from the iodine and kelp....just for the novelty/experience if nothing else.
So...what I'm looking for is a really good Highland Malt (no blends)...somewhere under or around $100.00. Priced like Lag perhaps. Nothing under 12 years old.
Any suggestions?
Glenmorangie?

Oban 14yr or Old Pulteney 17yr...

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Come back soon please. Having a hard time deciding between Glenfiddich 12, Glenlivet 12 and Blue Label. Need advice!

No wooden presentation box with any of those. Pls go.

Get Purple Label. Blue Label is for plebes and women.

:lol:

Any suggestions?
Glenmorangie?

Just curious but what is it about the Speysiders that don't do it for you? What's your opinion on sherry bombs?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Just curious but what is it about the Speysiders that don't do it for you? What's your opinion on sherry bombs?

Too sweet, not enough (any) peat.

I'm thinking Pulteney might suit me...

Last edited:

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Too sweet, not enough (any) peat.
I'm thinking Pulteney might suit me...

If you're looking for peat and smoke without the sea-side elements, I don't think Old Pulteney will fit the bill... if anything, they are the reverse. My go-to for (some) peat and smoke without the sea-side blast of Islay and Talisker is HP18.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

If you're looking for peat and smoke without the sea-side elements, I don't think Old Pulteney will fit the bill... if anything, they are the reverse. My go-to for (some) peat and smoke without the sea-side blast of Islay and Talisker is HP18.

Thank you...I've been meaning to give HP a try. So that's a winner.

As far as Pulteney is concerned, you may be right although I was thinking that at least it wouldn't be sweet.

I just ran across this:

"Then comes Clynelish at Brora (built in 1969, beside an earlier (1819) distillery) - a sophisticated and complex whisky (hyacinths, fennel, Latakia tobacco), it was once very highly regarded and deserves to be better known."

I used to love Balkan Sobrannie and the Lataka notes sound good to me.

Any experience with it? anyone?

Do you think Clynelish is available in the States? At what price point?

Last edited:

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you think Clynelish is available in the States? At what price point?

The Diageo release of Clynelish 14yr is readily available just about everywhere and usually around $55. More fruity sweetness rather than sherry sweetness. Also has some saltiness to it so not sure if this is what you're looking for. Don't expect old school Brora levels of peat either. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. There are also a bunch of independent bottlings out there that don't exactly fit the standard Clynelish profile so tread carefully.

If you're into the Clynelish profile, modern Springbanks are worth a look at as well.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Diageo release of Clynelish 14yr is readily available just about everywhere and usually around $55. More fruity sweetness rather than sherry sweetness. Also has some saltiness to it so not sure if this is what you're looking for. Don't expect old school Brora levels of peat either. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. There are also a bunch of independent bottlings out there that don't exactly fit the standard Clynelish profile so tread carefully.
If you're into the Clynelish profile, modern Springbanks are worth a look at as well.

The great Bacon strikes again. Springbank seems like it might be just what you are looking for. I'd start with the OB 12 or 100 proof and not any of the funky wood treatments or even the OB 15 or 18.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The great Bacon strikes again. Springbank seems like it might be just what you are looking for. I'd start with the OB 12 or 100 proof and not any of the funky wood treatments or even the OB 15 or 18.

What does that mean--"OB"?

From what I've read, Springbank--the 15--might be just what the doctor ordered. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What does that mean--"OB"?
From what I've read, Springbank--the 15--might be just what the doctor ordered. I'll give it a try.
Thanks.

OB = Original Distillery Bottling as opposed to, IB = Independent Bottling.

The 15 might be too sweet for you, just a heads up.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OB = Original Distillery Bottling as opposed to, IB = Independent Bottling.
The 15 might be too sweet for you, just a heads up.

Listen to this man. I got a lot of honey and lemony sweetness out of it. Made an amazing hot toddy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads