• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
It depends what sort of stuff you're looking for. I'd probably try the Oban 14, the Lagavulin 16 (that'll let you know if you like peat or not), Macallan 12 is a good go to scotch for a starter. The Highland Park is good too. I'd go as old as your wallet can bear, although I doubt if the 30 is really twice as good as the 25. Ardbeg is nice too if you like the peaty stuff. The supernova is very good IMO and not too expensive (relatively speaking).

Enjoy!

likeaboss

Reaction score

It depends what sort of stuff you're looking for. I'd probably try the Oban 14, the Lagavulin 16 (that'll let you know if you like peat or not), Macallan 12 is a good go to scotch for a starter. The Highland Park is good too. I'd go as old as your wallet can bear, although I doubt if the 30 is really twice as good as the 25. Ardbeg is nice too if you like the peaty stuff. The supernova is very good IMO and not too expensive (relatively speaking).
Enjoy!

Thanks for the quick response!

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If having multiple drams, make sure your Macallans and Obans are early in the evening and end the night with your Lagavulins and Ardbegs.

But really, doesn't sound like you can go wrong. You've had 3 common whiskies out of an almost limitless number of expressions and liked them all equally it sounds like. Order whatever you want tonight and try to make it out to an organized single malt tasting sometime.

billsayers

Reaction score
My local Costco had Lagavulin 16 for only $53/bottle...you guys should jump on it if you can.

I ended up buying two bottles despite already having one at home that is 2/3 full.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

My local Costco had Lagavulin 16 for only $53/bottle...you guys should jump on it if you can.

I ended up buying two bottles despite already having one at home that is 2/3 full.

I need to go to costco to see if mine has them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Been a rough day, going to pour some oogie and spark up a corona especial or a p short in a few.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Can't get over how cheap Scotch is over here, considering how expensive everything else under the sun is. Talisker 10 is under $30'ish and the 18 is about $80, Lag 16 is under $50ish if the yen is not crazy like it's been lately.

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drew, that's about on par with some of the best shops in California... except for that Talisker 10yr. Christ, that's cheap.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Drew, that's about on par with some of the best shops in California... except for that Talisker 10yr. Christ, that's cheap.

Forget California, even the big web distributors here in the US struggle to achieve those prices.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Courtesy of recent stops in the CDG and NRT duty free:
20111109-1.jpg

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They had that regular Hakushu 12 in the JAL lounge a couple weeks ago, I had about 5 singles of that before takeoff I think. That standard Hakushu is a pretty good drinker, and I'd probably favor it over Yamazaki, actually. I don't really like Yamazaki. Previously I had a bottle of that Hakushu 'heavily peated' edition and it was a strange beast; intensely peated (to the point of being artificial) and then sweet - but a saccharine clear sweetness, not a heavy wine cask finish.

Lately I think my favorite Japanese whisky is Yoichi. It's pretty damn good in any iteration they sell.

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hakushu 12 is coming to the States soon. Yoichi 15 is one of my favorite Japanese whiskies that I've had. Wish it was easier to get. My last bottle got seized...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads