Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

It depends what sort of stuff you're looking for. I'd probably try the Oban 14, the Lagavulin 16 (that'll let you know if you like peat or not), Macallan 12 is a good go to scotch for a starter. The Highland Park is good too. I'd go as old as your wallet can bear, although I doubt if the 30 is really twice as good as the 25. Ardbeg is nice too if you like the peaty stuff. The supernova is very good IMO and not too expensive (relatively speaking).

Enjoy!

2. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick response!

3. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

If having multiple drams, make sure your Macallans and Obans are early in the evening and end the night with your Lagavulins and Ardbegs.

But really, doesn't sound like you can go wrong. You've had 3 common whiskies out of an almost limitless number of expressions and liked them all equally it sounds like. Order whatever you want tonight and try to make it out to an organized single malt tasting sometime.

4. billsayers

billsayers Senior member

My local Costco had Lagavulin 16 for only $53/bottle...you guys should jump on it if you can.

I ended up buying two bottles despite already having one at home that is 2/3 full.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

5. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

Sure. How'd it go?

6. jet

jet Persian Bro

I need to go to costco to see if mine has them.

7. likeaboss

likeaboss Well-Known Member

Dinner plans got changed and we didn't end up going but the restaurant is on my list to go to ASAP. When I do, I'll post back. Until then I've saved your recommendations.

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

Been a rough day, going to pour some oogie and spark up a corona especial or a p short in a few.

9. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Can't get over how cheap Scotch is over here, considering how expensive everything else under the sun is. Talisker 10 is under $30'ish and the 18 is about $80, Lag 16 is under $50ish if the yen is not crazy like it's been lately.

11. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Drew, that's about on par with some of the best shops in California... except for that Talisker 10yr. Christ, that's cheap.

12. ama

ama Senior member

Forget California, even the big web distributors here in the US struggle to achieve those prices.

13. binge

binge Senior member

Courtesy of recent stops in the CDG and NRT duty free:
    [​IMG]

14. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

They had that regular Hakushu 12 in the JAL lounge a couple weeks ago, I had about 5 singles of that before takeoff I think. That standard Hakushu is a pretty good drinker, and I'd probably favor it over Yamazaki, actually. I don't really like Yamazaki. Previously I had a bottle of that Hakushu 'heavily peated' edition and it was a strange beast; intensely peated (to the point of being artificial) and then sweet - but a saccharine clear sweetness, not a heavy wine cask finish.

Lately I think my favorite Japanese whisky is Yoichi. It's pretty damn good in any iteration they sell.

15. ama

ama Senior member

Hakushu 12 is coming to the States soon. Yoichi 15 is one of my favorite Japanese whiskies that I've had. Wish it was easier to get. My last bottle got seized...