• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any One for a Scotch?

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, what are your favorite ryes or Bourbons to use in an old-fashioned?

I certainly wouldn’t turn down a bourbon old fashioned, but I prefer a rye.

For an old fashioned I look for a decent/good (not great). You’re going to mix it, so it doesn’t have to be top shelf.

Woodford makes a good one, a local (to me) distillery called Sagamore makes one that’s good for mixing (I don’t care for it straight), Wild Turkey rye is surprisingly good, Sazerac rye (if you can find it) is excellent in an old fashioned

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly wouldn’t turn down a bourbon old fashioned, but I prefer a rye.

For an old fashioned I look for a decent/good (not great). You’re going to mix it, so it doesn’t have to be top shelf.

Woodford makes a good one, a local (to me) distillery called Sagamore makes one that’s good for mixing (I don’t care for it straight), Wild Turkey rye is surprisingly good, Sazerac rye (if you can find it) is excellent in an old fashioned

thank you for the recs!

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Second the recommendation for Sazerac, makes a terrific old fashioned. My preference is Rittenhouse, but only because I'm sentimental. Best bourbons for cocktails in my opinion are Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, or Woodford.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This popped up hidden alone on the top shelf of a local liquor store. Not even sure how much it was (maybe like $130?). Dont care. This is THE stuff. Great balance of sherry smoke and peat. Cask strength to boot. With water this is smoother than the 10yo. Just great stuff.
AE8F85C8-8DD7-434F-A557-5DE87247259C.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, two sips and the finish is just lingering. Wow. Nothing overpowering, some times I’m getting campfire, some times sherry sweetness, maybe a little heat from the alcohol, then more phenolic tastes.
Sorry, just a huge Springbank fan.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Man, two sips and the finish is just lingering. Wow. Nothing overpowering, some times I’m getting campfire, some times sherry sweetness, maybe a little heat from the alcohol, then more phenolic tastes.
Sorry, just a huge Springbank fan.
Love springbank. Picked up several bottles last time I was in London

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you tried their Longrow or Hazelburn lines?
Local shops don't carry much if anything so the closest place to me would probably be Chicago where I've seen them (about an 1.5 hours away). I'm quite happy with my regular Springbanks though so I don't try to venture too far into their other labels.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Had this last night. Apparently it's a blend of whisk(e)y from around the world, including some Japanese. It's light and delicate and very sippable.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another. “Old” Arran packaging. Port cask finished and 50% abv. This is quite good. A nice mix of grassy and fruity with medium complexity. Arran is good stuff that often gets overlooked for bigger names.
FE946CA1-29E0-4422-9085-9D1B61B7F922.jpeg

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My Arran contribution, 24 year old (label misprinted with 23 year old), aged 16 years in Scotland and then 8 years in Cognac casks in France. The nose is Cognac-y but if you like Arran whiskey, I think you’ll appreciate this one.

E80383FF-35B8-480E-8BFE-E81734C73827.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads