• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Any love for Allen Edmonds Park Ave Sneakers here?

ducatiti

Reaction score
Searched a bit up in here but didn't find any feedback. I've been seeing these so-called dress sneakers a bit more now, and it has been growing on me not gonna lie.. I've read many posts when they first came out and they weren't good at all :)

I would love to hear more from the fashion guru's in here :)

Thank you in advance.

Najnar

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is that it looks neither fully like a dress shoe nor fully like a sneaker. I struggle to think of a time/occasion to wear it. Definitely not with a suit, probably not with any casual outfits. Maybe with business casual khakis and a polo shirt at the office? But then, I'd prefer to just buy some loafers.

ducatiti

Reaction score
I think the problem is that it looks neither fully like a dress shoe nor fully like a sneaker. I struggle to think of a time/occasion to wear it. Definitely not with a suit, probably not with any casual outfits. Maybe with business casual khakis and a polo shirt at the office? But then, I'd prefer to just buy some loafers.

Thanks for chiming in.. I'm in the escrow/title business and when the big boss visits our office, he often wears these cap toe sneakers in black with khakis and shirt. Well I just checkout out with a dark brown pair for $75, and will post some pics. Plan to wear them with banana rep khakis and sport coat on Fridays :)

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Searched a bit up in here but didn't find any feedback. I've been seeing these so-called dress sneakers a bit more now, and it has been growing on me not gonna lie.. I've read many posts when they first came out and they weren't good at all :)

I would love to hear more from the fashion guru's in here :)

Thank you in advance.

I wouldn't wear them however it's because they don't fit into my sense of style.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pics?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No!

Blastwice

Reaction score
My first thought: they don't look like elegant shoes, so why pay the upcharge for elegant materials?

My second thought: I would not run and play in these, so why go with a cheap cupsole?

My third thought: No one is going to recraft these.

ducatiti

Reaction score
lol. Thanks for sharing guys. Could it be a demographic thing? Here in the SF Bay Area, I have been seeing them a lot lately with varying ages, even at home depot. Saw two dudes wearing these during the same store visit.

ducatiti

Reaction score
Perhaps the Strand Sneakers make more sense? :)

Well anyways, too late now as i just purchased a pair as mentioned for $74 during their recent sale. Worst case scenario, I can use them while doing house chores haha.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
lol. Thanks for sharing guys. Could it be a demographic thing? Here in the SF Bay Area, I have been seeing them a lot lately with varying ages, even at home depot. Saw two dudes wearing these during the same store visit.
Just because something is commonly seen or popular doesn’t make it look good.

Blastwice

Reaction score
If I were to guess why they exist, I'd say that an AE designer thought, "Well, there are lots of guys out there who don't like leather soles (1) and grew up with sneakers that never had welts (2) so they might be looking for a sneaker-type shoe that they can wear to work too.

At the end of the day, AE shoppers are looking for something familiar, but still traditional. This kind of design is the result of that kind of thinking.

Also seems to be substantially cheaper in terms of materials/labor ($100 cheaper for the sneaker version of the Strand.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads