• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's great you made your way over. They have a fantastic setup with a great view to boot. The shoes are absolutely slicker. The silhouettes are like little masterpieces of art.

Well certainly their RTW is much better than AMs standard offerings. However if you then compare like for like (Argentum MTM, Aurum, and Bespoke) they are on par. AM edges ahead due to favorable pricing.

Yup I only have argentum MTM (some AW some HW), pricing wise AM is hard to beat. I could only try 3 last in my size, think T and TX is the only ones that might work

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Meccariello Aeris “Catullo” vs John Lobb Prestige “Becketts”

Went to my friend, a JL lover, for a shoe meet -

8B70D9F2-4518-4CDD-8A28-CDB185B41E44.jpeg AACE0979-03E0-4757-83CD-D09DB22BE3CB.jpeg 2F3AD8EE-D0EB-4949-B396-D881DC18DFFA.jpeg A4607D32-174E-4C51-AA12-83C7F215B4F7.jpeg 2DD68CBA-15A6-480D-AF36-4082E53EA13E.jpeg C0118DDD-AC13-4CB2-91E4-D97FEC981D54.jpeg C21B16A7-C47C-490F-8FFC-3C95CBA8123D.jpeg

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup I only have argentum MTM (some AW some HW), pricing wise AM is hard to beat. I could only try 3 last in my size, think T and TX is the only ones that might work

They only had 3 lasts in your size, that's odd. Surprised you could not get into their S or C lasts. Those are somewhat more forgiving in the toebox.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meccariello Aeris “Catullo” vs John Lobb Prestige “Becketts”

Went to my friend, a JL lover, for a shoe meet -

View attachment 1341682 View attachment 1341683 View attachment 1341684 View attachment 1341685 View attachment 1341686 View attachment 1341687 View attachment 1341688

Ah the Becketts! I do not have those, but I have several shoes on the 7000/8000 lasts. Philips used to be one of my favorite shoes until I converted to EG.

So, you have the battle of your quintessential English shoe vs the Italian upstart (although he has been in the game for some time at this point).

Leather on the Prestige line is off the charts. Aeris leather I would assume is not as good, but never handled it.
Winner: JL

Styling on the AM (subjective opinion) is more updated and sleeker. Looks like a younger man's shoe, while JL looks to be for that mature gentleman.
Winner: Push (who is buying the shoe)

Construction is GYW on both shoes.
Winner: Push

Price... Price difference is like $1k I believe.. Or is that wrong? Regardless..
Winner: AM

Customer Service and accessiblity. Considering that JL has brick and mortar stores & stockists littered throughout the world, I would give the nod to JL. Angela is amazing to deal with, but nothing beats trying on the shoes and seeing them firsthand (ask @clee1982 who took a trip to the UES..different brand but same concept).
Winner: JL

So there you have it folks, the winner of the Meccariello Aeris “Catullo” vs John Lobb Prestige “Becketts” shoe face-off goes to the trusty NorthHampton shoemaker John Lobb. All you had to do was out spend @shirtingfantasy by $1000 dollars to win (with that extra money @shirtingfantasy could probably purchase another 2 pairs of Aeris :rotflmao:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They only had 3 lasts in your size, that's odd. Surprised you could not get into their S or C lasts. Those are somewhat more forgiving in the toebox.
I described my issue and that’s what he pointed me to rather than try every single thing I suppose

though I am pretty sure J doesn’t work

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aeris looks like amazing value, though I tried to buy AW shoe because I think it’s a nice thing he tried to improve GYW

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
Aeris looks like amazing value, though I tried to buy AW shoe because I think it’s a nice thing he tried to improve GYW

I was just trying to see how it’s like (after the leather upgrade), since Antonio only wants to use the new special leather (inexpensive and good, from a special tannage of 12 sq ft baby calf) for his Aeris.

He insisted on using his triple box-tanned baby calf (more expensive, and better than even the new Aeris calf leather) for Argentum and above.

The new Aeris leather and finishing (e.g. the really narrow waist) have just amazed me. Honestly, Carmina, TLB or even CJ are not even close...

7B0D3986-02A9-449A-9FD6-A4C4298B9F91.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was just trying to see how it’s like (after the leather upgrade), since Antonio only wants to use the new special leather (inexpensive and good, from a special tannage of 12 sq ft baby calf) for his Aeris.

He insisted on using his triple box-tanned baby calf (more expensive, and better than even the new Aeris calf leather) for Argentum and above.

The new Aeris leather and finishing (e.g. the really narrow waist) have just amazed me. Honestly, Carmina, TLB or even CJ are not even close...

View attachment 1341730

Is all the Aeries listed on his website the “new” Aeris? By the way have you handled TLB Arista line?

shirtingfantasy

Reaction score
No, only the recent ones in his custom patina series (and maybe one or two other) are using his new leather. There were also pairs in Bonaudo calf (identical to the Medallion one I got) which I think would not crease as nicely. The new Aeris is quite definitely superior and worth specifically asking for.

I have only a pair of Janus suede captoe Artista on their famous slim rubber sole. The suede got quite hairy after some brushing and I had to burn the nap short. Maybe I will get another pair in Zonta museum for the coming summer - yes I know, it’s a blasphemy to wear Artista as rain shoes from their fans’ perspective, but then i want to save my Aurum and Argentum for the sunny days ?

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have only a pair of Janus suede captoe Artista on their famous slim rubber sole. The suede got quite hairy after some brushing and I had to burn the nap short. Maybe I will get another pair in Zonta museum for the coming summer - yes I know, it’s a blasphemy to wear Artista as rain shoes from their fans’ perspective, but then i want to save my Aurum and Argentum for the sunny days ?

Considering the TLB sect is going around saying their shoes are the best thing since the microwave, definitely blasphemous to use them as burner shoes.

I feel better now using my AE Strands for the same thing. :embar:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, only the recent ones in his custom patina series (and maybe one or two other) are using his new leather. There were also pairs in Bonaudo calf (identical to the Medallion one I got) which I think would not crease as nicely. The new Aeris is quite definitely superior and worth specifically asking for.

Well I wear all my shoes regardless weather but if it’s really bad and I had to choose then it’s CJ...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads