• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think AM can get away from GYW, it’s industrial standard for beginner of good shoe, imagine you walk into AM as a new brand and some one tell you there is AW, and it’s better than GYW at same price, I think you will find more cynics than supporters...

AW has to be more expensive than GW by just the right amount I suppose, too much people move to HW, too little people think it’s market gimics, and all without given much thought to actual construction

Well then something has to give because if people find a style of shoe they like from TLB Mallorca (for instance), why go to AM for a leather that visibly looks no different. Or a construction method that is only marginally better. Yet the shoe will be more expensive?
Concessions have to be made somewhere.

Sure AM has the reputation amongst the niche market, but I have seen many many more advertisements for the Carmina or TLB Mallorca shoes. It doesn't necessarily make those brands better, but if you constantly hear and see those names, more often than not you make a connection. A reinforcement if you will.

Oh and a separate thing, what’s the true appeal of StC? The last customization? I looked at their mode and there are almost no time I went “I want this”, not sure why (regardless construction etc).
Might just be me but I never saw a StC that I liked (thus never cared for construction, so harder to put value in there)

Well the main selling point is indeed the construction. The customized last. The style.
The structure.

The structure cannot be mentioned enough. StCs have thicker & longer stiffeners than most brands out there. So stiffness typically means it takes longer for them to look worn which translates to a more together or cleaner shoe.

Personally, I see fewer creases along the vamp and throughout the shoe versus other brands.

Another thing that isn't readily apparent is how the shoe looks. In the pictures they look nice. In person, the shoes look extremely elegant. The colors always more vibrant than pictures. The pictures do not capture the full gravity of the shoes.

I feel the same way about Hiro Yanagimachi shoes. People tend to go Ga ga over Y. Fukuda, rightly so, but when you have a HY shoe in front of you that's usually when you "get it".

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would echo on the point that Chinese makers have issues with good leathers. (Based on my own experience).

However, it’s not always true, owner of Oct Tenth got me an Annonay Calf Jude before. And I think in that shipment, he ordered 20+ hides.

I think it’s again a cost and revenue problem, most of Chinese makers (note: a lot of the ones you know, like Luyang,yim, .... are the high end ones and have intention in the international market; whereas lots other are targeting Chinese local market, with my experience, the relatively low end ones sold at around 1000-1500 rmb, roughly 220 usd) would not use these high end leather due to cost issues.

High end Chinese shoemakers (I think most of them priced at around 3500 rmb and up) used to have issue in sourcing good leathers due to language or quantity issue, but I think this has been improved a lot.

——————————————
When you are buying shoes, what do you look for? Leather? Construction? Last shape? Prestige?

At the beginning I care about construction a lot but no longer, now I want comfort, good last shape (when it’s on my feet) , and good finishing.

I think high end Chinese makers are great in leather and Construction; finishing, on the other hand is debatable (inconsistent), and last is really a personal thing. On other concern is sizing and exchange, if we are working with a “middle man” for example SoH I guess things will be easier, otherwise, the custom on both side will make you crazy (especially if you are in Canada....)

A lack of high quality leather, and consistent quality output is also a deficiency. Although the demand is probably not as required by their clientele.
Provided the shoes look good, even briefly that is enough for some.

However if success is to be had, that needs to change. The discerning and insistent international market will not purchase a shoe that is persistently lacking quality materials. There is just too much competition to settle for an inferior product.

Can they do it? Yes. Will they do it on a consistent basis (when revenue may not be as high as with the inferior product) ??‍♂️.

Deeky

Reaction score
StC needs to be seen in person. I don't think crust leather photographs well actually.

I've always wanted to buy AM, but his stockists are so limited (in reality, its just Medallion in China) and his lasts appear really unforgiving. Doesn't help that 90% of his RTW is sold out on his webshop and the only real chance to get something in my size is to MTO, but could turn out to be an 800 euro mistake.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree, AM's last isn't so forgiving. I also think that his MTO surcharge is a bit high.

Due to this 2 reasons, I choose to go for the Aurum MTM route, then the wait begins....

What's more toxic is I occasionally check his website to find model that may fit my feet - 6 pairs now...

StC needs to be seen in person. I don't think crust leather photographs well actually.

I've always wanted to buy AM, but his stockists are so limited (in reality, its just Medallion in China) and his lasts appear really unforgiving. Doesn't help that 90% of his RTW is sold out on his webshop and the only real chance to get something in my size is to MTO, but could turn out to be an 800 euro mistake.

Deeky

Reaction score
I'm fine with the surcharge - 200 euros I still can stomach...

800 euros for an MTO Argentum HW still seems like a great deal, but the newcomers seem to be catching up real fast. Given how well Vass fits me, Passus is actually my #1 choice until I can get properly fitted for Aurum, if ever.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree, AM's last isn't so forgiving. I also think that his MTO surcharge is a bit high.

Due to this 2 reasons, I choose to go for the Aurum MTM route, then the wait begins....

What's more toxic is I occasionally check his website to find model that may fit my feet - 6 pairs now...

The 1.5-1.75 Italian factor.
Italian factor is quoted time times 1.5-1.75.

So waiting waiting where after a while you forget, and then you receive a package and it's like Christmas ?.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 1.5-1.75 Italian factor.
Italian factor is quoted time times 1.5-1.75.

So waiting waiting where after a while you forget, and then you receive a package and it's like Christmas ?.
Yes, this is the beauty of STC, I think someone asked why STC is good, no MTO surcharge is a huge winning point to me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
thanks, but the surcharge is quite strong. For instance a model in RTW going for 500-600 jumps to well over 700 in MTO even if all else apart from the last stays the same.

I guess that’s how he price then, I remember MTO used to be cheaper guess he gets too many order, needs to streamline. I guess you can try email or IG him again

bsarosi

Reaction score
Not to deviate from the good discussion lately but I had some questions regarding polishing AM shoes. Because AM shoes have quite a bit of patina/antiquing, I’m curious to know what others do to polish them. Do you use a neutral cream and polish? Match the cream and polish to the shoe color? Or go slightly lighter/darker with the color of cream and polish depending on the effect you want? I don’t want to ruin the patina that has been created but they def need some nourishing and polishing.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All my stuff from AM are dark color, so I just pick a slightly darker tone and more less “whatever”, though to be fair I have not shine anything for real since my first born, so my memory might be faulting.

Also I’m probably the least give a **** about shine guy...(it needs look decent but that’s about to the extent I care)

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

yup the mid tier is definitely very saturated, not sure what AM should do...

I wish he carry more stuff on his website (in stock) for sure, I guess he tries to ratify it with his patina service (much quicker turn around). Though at this point I just wish an easy access retailer that had some stock

Nor me. What really helps some of these competing brands at this price range is their advertising (which as I mentioned before appears to be everywhere), accessibility (either people have access to stores or online retailers with stockists), or the customer service is just better.

A colleague of mines ended up purchasing Aldens over AMs because he could walk over to the store, try on the shoes, and if something was not right easily replace them at the store. AM doesn't have this luxury.

To be fair, most do not have a clue how to size AM shoes across the different lasts.The site leaves something to be desired. Then when you do order something you have to wait an inordinate amount of time to receive your shoes.

A Carlos Santos shoe, for instance, find your equivalent size, receive free shipping, and by the end of the week you would have tried them on and either kept them or replaced them for another size. All of this occurs rather painlessly and seamlessly.

So I don't blame people for selecting (insert brand name) over AM.

deez shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nor me. What really helps some of these competing brands at this price range is their advertising (which as I mentioned before appears to be everywhere), accessibility (either people have access to stores or online retailers with stockists), or the customer service is just better.

A colleague of mines ended up purchasing Aldens over AMs because he could walk over to the store, try on the shoes, and if something was not right easily replace them at the store. AM doesn't have this luxury.

To be fair, most do not have a clue how to size AM shoes across the different lasts.The site leaves something to be desired. Then when you do order something you have to wait an inordinate amount of time to receive your shoes.

A Carlos Santos shoe, for instance, find your equivalent size, receive free shipping, and by the end of the week you would have tried them on and either kept them or replaced them for another size. All of this occurs rather painlessly and seamlessly.

So I don't blame people for selecting (insert brand name) over AM.

I believe that part of the issue is that Antonio would rather have his customers go through him than through the retailers. I understand his logic behind that but I think he is underestimating some of his consumers' expectations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads