• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another hair advice thread

stvwrd

Reaction score
My hair's been slowly thinning out over the past five years or so and especially over the past couple years I've been thinking about just shaving it and being done with all the hassle. A couple days ago I got my haircut and my stylist made a comment that it seemed like I've been losing more hair recently because it's laying a lot flatter on top now.

I hesitate to shave it off though because I had a shaved head a couple different times in college (after experimenting with mohawks, which, oddly enough, looked great on me. I wish I could keep a mohawk AND a job) and wasn't overly impressed with it.

But at the same time, I've recently lost a lot of weight, been enjoying some new clothes, and I think it would be fun to throw in a new hairstyle (or lack thereof) in the mix as well.

In a couple months my younger brother's getting married, and I'm going back to the US for it. I haven't seen my family for almost a year and a half and I really want to surprise people with the 'new me.'

So... any advice? I'm attaching a photo pf myself. Thanks!

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the problem with shaving your head is that your skin is too pale, IMO.

I think it would look better if you just went over everything with a #2 guard (or maybe #2 on the sides and #3 on top). Very important though with this look, you need to make make sure to keep it neatly trimmed around the ears and in the back around the neck. The first time you go at the back of your neck with a safety razor it seems pretty tricky, but you get used to it pretty quickly.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shaved would make for a very intimidating look, too.

Not that you would get visible results in a few months, but have you tried regrowing hair?

stvwrd

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I've considered trying out the 'buzzed' look as well, as dtmt suggested.

Yes, looking intimidating is a concern as well. I live abroad and people are already intimidated by my size and the language barrier.

What do you mean by re-growing hair? Shaving it all off and starting over? Does that help?

stvwrd

Reaction score
I'm not really interested in hair plugs or drugs (unless they're proven totally safe and effective).

I'm more interested in finding a way to make it all work with my overall sense of style and who I am. So it's more about making it look alright than trying to disguise it.

Giving serious thought to just going down to a very close clipper-cut. I could try it out over the summer at least.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drugs probably will never be completely effective. They're unlikely to do permanent harm. Also, between a laser comb and changes in self-care, you might see some stabilizing of the condition. If you want the hair to "look alright," your best option might be to maintain the current style and as much hair as you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads