• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a 40.5 inch chest. Tried on a 50 during a trunkshow (50 is my usual size). I think I went up to a 52 to get the drape effect. Only changes I would need is taking in the lower back and fixing the collar roll, making it MTO and not requiring the MTM upcharge.

AI have great color and patterns, but their fabrics aren't on par with the best imo.
For beater jackets and suits, if you can get MTO to fit very well, it's a great value.

Shetterd

Reaction score
The fitting was “weird” because you failed to mention what you wanted? A good salesperson and/or fitter will tell you if your expectations are reasonable.

This makes no sense to me. I told him I came to AI for the house style, which is surely their USP. He then gave me a jacket which fit "correctly" but did not at all show off that style. The salesperson/fitter said this is the right size, no need to try one up, it just looks different on you. Unclear how any of that is my fault. I expect that at a shop like Anglo, especially given their focus on house style, this should not be an issue. Consider that @Crispyj tried a jacket two sizes up at a comparable chest size.

I am a 40.5 inch chest. Tried on a 50 during a trunkshow (50 is my usual size). I think I went up to a 52 to get the drape effect. Only changes I would need is taking in the lower back and fixing the collar roll, making it MTO and not requiring the MTM upcharge.

That is really good to know. Thank you. I would need to make an adjustment for a dropped shoulder potentially, but beyond that the jacket fit well.

Treble

Reaction score
So the lesson is always try a size up / down to be sure, especially if the look isn't what you traveled to the shop for, and that shop is known for having a flexible alterations policy and MTO options.

As an side, that they fit their 'tailors dummy' product photos in what seems a very trim and classic fit. I'm somewhere in-between that and the off-shoulder style some of the staff like.

The False Prophet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The various lookbooks that AI have posted don't, to my eye, have an overly loose/louche fit. In particular, the 'community portraits' series show men in, as Treble puts it, a trim and classic fit.

So, it may be that this is in truth their house tailoring style, and that Jake's personal style (which I'm sure has rubbed off to an extent on the other staff) is actually a riff on this.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
The various lookbooks that AI have posted don't, to my eye, have an overly loose/louche fit. In particular, the 'community portraits' series show men in, as Treble puts it, a trim and classic fit.

So, it may be that this is in truth their house tailoring style, and that Jake's personal style (which I'm sure has rubbed off to an extent on the other staff) is actually a riff on this.

i also agree with this. A lot of the look books feature a more trim fit that don’t match how they describe their style and don’t look like Jake or Martin or Simons MTM jacket.

sargeinaz

Reaction score

AI have great color and patterns, but their fabrics aren't on par with the best imo.
For beater jackets and suits, if you can get MTO to fit very well, it's a great value.
I’ve read this about their fabrics from multiple people. I know nothing about fabrics and know you’ve had lots of beautiful clothing made for you, what makes their fabrics less quality exactly or more suitable for beater work? Are they more durable/less fine? Any insight would be appreciated. I’m not a stickler about top quality, would prefer a harder wearing cloth if I had to sacrifice tip top quality.

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve read this about their fabrics from multiple people. I know nothing about fabrics and know you’ve had lots of beautiful clothing made for you, what makes their fabrics less quality exactly or more suitable for beater work? Are they more durable/less fine? Any insight would be appreciated. I’m not a stickler about top quality, would prefer a harder wearing cloth if I had to sacrifice tip top quality.
They aren't bad fabrics. Just the mills they use are not the better known mills. Also tailors I know say the fabric is spongey, not a lot of body. Some like wearing spongey fabrics, makes the jacket feel like a sweater, also goes with Jake's style of slouchy and soft.

I was going to use an AI fabric for Steed, but it never got shipped out because it didn't pass QC on AI side. So I am guessing AI themselves know the fabrics have some issues so they do more rigorous QC.

Probably on par with Huddersfield Fine Worsted, but not say Standeven. If they dare sell it, it's decent stuff. And with their in-house MTO prices, it's definitely worth the money. I'd have to see their wool cashmere blend to make a better call on how it wears, but most of their 100% wool, or silk linen blends will be hard wearing.

sargeinaz

Reaction score
They aren't bad fabrics. Just the mills they use are not the better known mills. Also tailors I know say the fabric is spongey, not a lot of body. Some like wearing spongey fabrics, makes the jacket feel like a sweater, also goes with Jake's style of slouchy and soft.

I was going to use an AI fabric for Steed, but it never got shipped out because it didn't pass QC on AI side. So I am guessing AI themselves know the fabrics have some issues so they do more rigorous QC.

Probably on par with Huddersfield Fine Worsted, but not say Standeven. If they dare sell it, it's decent stuff. And with their in-house MTO prices, it's definitely worth the money. I'd have to see their wool cashmere blend to make a better call on how it wears, but most of their 100% wool, or silk linen blends will be hard wearing.
Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Reaction score

Just chiming to confirm here. Just bought the sport jacket in grey mélange (last one!). It is 100% wool and the fabric is spongy and has an almost neppy feel. However, I really enjoy it as it feels hard wearing and easy to throw on, which is what I want from tailoring. The color is also fantastic, works really well with the dress trousers I already have and even denim as well. I'm not sure I would buy anything but their summer fabric for a commissioned piece though. Definitely would still recommend however, one of my favorite brands.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got this a few seasons ago for wifey and I and then later as gifts for my kids. Great blanket.

FreshSalmon

Reaction score
Finally created an account so I could post after years of lurking.

Had the pleasure of visiting the shop in the summer while visiting from overseas. Jeremey and Jake were there and both friendly and helpful. I didn't expect to buy anything but walked out with the jeans and a pair of high twist wool trousers. They were able to turn around the trousers (waist taken in and a a hem) in record time so I could bring them home with me. They also kept my measurements on hand so I can just email them to place an order going forward.

Love the anglo block and the tailoring seems to fit my body quite well. If money was no issue I'd have my entire wardrobe AI.

Dont have great photos but sharing what I do have.

Attachments

• IMG_4139.jpeg
    IMG_4139.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 1,016
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 9.16.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-11 at 9.16.09 AM.png
    585.1 KB · Views: 976

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know if AI does Boxing Day/January sales?

They do not have big, well announced sales, although they might have a few items at reduced prices somewhere under the counter.

I just got a mail the other day, the shop will close on Friday 23rd of December and reopen on Tuesday 3rd of January, which means they will be closed when other shop have their main sales activity.

jclonin7

Reaction score
Can any one compare sleeve lengths of the AI oxfords to the permanent style oxfords. I’m wondering if the otr ones will work for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads