• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Androgynous men's wear

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never heard of this band... But I just looked him up and he did have a similar hairstyle. His was more combed over the top which seems to give a more boyish appearance, I am have to try that. His jaw is pretty strong though, but his style is great and he's very attractive... Well, was before aging set in :)

Yeh he's bald now. :D

I immediately thought of The Human League and new romantics when I saw your pics. See also Depeche Mode, Ultravox, Visage, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark(OMD), Duran Duran, etc.

Pretty men often look very strange when they age... Sorta like Johnny depp, Leo and brad Pitt.. They all look kinda weird now in my opinion, but are still attractive.

Rather like when I see the older bands I remember and liked, still performing the same songs live in their 50s, 60s and sometimes 70s.

Xenon

Reaction score
Can someone photoshop him in a tom ford suit. I think VanburnHam has similar build to the current Tom Ford model on the website. Tom Ford has alot of structure which would really help blur the line

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fascinating thread, and kudos to you guys helping him out.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

Van Welcome to Styleforum.
Androgynous appearance would basically be half male and hald female and onlookers may not be able to determine if you are male of female at a glance or even under longer scrutiny.
You have exceptionally good looks and good symmetry.
If it will help, I have struggled with this myself all my life. I was always confused by others as being female because I also have feminine features.
My question to you is how do you feel inside, before the clothing?
If you are male body but identify inwardly as female, then you would be suffering from a medical condition called Gender Dysphoria and would therefore be, what is referred to as 'Transgendered'.
If on the other hand you are male body and identify inwardly as male then you are male through and through.
You definitely have feminine features in your face and make no mistake there are millions of people who would want your good looks, male or female.
Perhaps you could clarify for us how you feel in your mind....male or female.
If male, then we could make suggestions further but if female, then this will be a medical gender issue and you would need professional medical assistance in these matters.

One of the best threads over here, and one of the best advices this one above.

Perhaps you can also carry a 'male' accessory to strengthen the male look, like a rugged bag etc

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your project sounds fascinating.

Although some have suggested wearing more structured menswear, I would recommend soft-tailored items. There are plenty of unstructured jackets, cardigan sweaters, etc. that could be worn by a woman or a man. I would also urge you to select fabrics and patterns associated with menswear (eg herringbone, houndstooth; pinstripes; generally, heavier fabrics & less form-fitting cuts). There are very expensive versions of these items--Cucinelli, Isaia, Canali Kei, Lanvin, etc--but there are also more affordable pieces from RL, LBM 1911, and others. Why not start with something as classic as a blue blazer?

Wearing men's shoes would also really help. Somehow they are a major social cue.

Re trousers: I recommend sticking to menswear cuts but introducing a little play into your color choices, especially in warm weather. Red pants (Nantucket red, crimson, etc) might be great in an androgynous wardrobe. Muted purple, burnt orange, and olive would also be good choices.

Good luck!

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fascinating thread, and kudos to you guys helping him out.

Well, if nothing else, this thread has permanently altered my mental image of MoL as looking like Donald Trump.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reminds me a lot of Andrej Pejic. He's a model here in New York that does both women's and men's runway stuff. Beautiful person.

936full-andrej-pejic.jpg

JakeLA

Reaction score
If I may give the OP another direction to consider --

You're androgynous. Your clothes don't need to be. In fact, I'd venture to say that wearing androgynous menswear (whatever that is -- tight pants and scarves, I guess) is only going to detract from your face, and really, what's the point of that? You're not going to fool anyone into thinking you're some regular Joe Sixpack, and you don't want that anyway.

If I were you, I'd wear classic, unobtrusive, casual mens clothing in a muted palette. Khakis, jeans, button-down shirts, crewneck sweaters, jack purcell sneakers -- that kind of thing. Penfield jackets. Old 8-eye Doc Martens. It should all look like you've owned it forever, the collars and cuffs should be frayed, and you should wear it like you just woke up and threw on whatever was by the bed. The idea is studied nonchalance. Why? Because it'll look like you don't care about clothes, and that'll make you100 times more interesting than if you're running around town in some gothy Rick Owens get-up.

VanBurnham

Reaction score
Is this for real? is this SF or some short of group therapy?
Quit your job, move to NYC if you haven´t. Your look is on demand and you will be very well paid.
Gah I wish.... I want to move to New York so bad. I actually got an interview for a well known day trading firm on Wall Street a few months ago, but I never followed up... my cats won't have a yard to run in and my bf isn't ready to sell his house and his office. I'm getting a little old for modeling though... I turn 27 next week. It's funny because I can still pass as a teenager, especially if I dress like a guy. New York is my dream though... maybe I'll look into it anyway.

Reminds me a lot of Andrej Pejic. He's a model here in New York that does both women's and men's runway stuff. Beautiful person.
936full-andrej-pejic.jpg

Mmm, Andrej Pejic... he is my favorite. I've followed him since he was just a little girl in pigtails... it's been nice to watch him rise through the ranks of modeling. I did a photoshoot a couple years ago for a local makeup artist who wanted similar things... female headshots on an androgynous face. I had to create the appearance of a heavy jaw and a mean look to pull it off, was really fun.

You're androgynous. Your clothes don't need to be. In fact, I'd venture to say that wearing androgynous menswear (whatever that is -- tight pants and scarves, I guess) is only going to detract from your face, and really, what's the point of that? You're not going to fool anyone into thinking you're some regular Joe Sixpack, and you don't want that anyway.
If I were you, I'd wear classic, unobtrusive, casual mens clothing in a muted palette. Khakis, jeans, button-down shirts, crewneck sweaters, jack purcell sneakers -- that kind of thing. Penfield jackets. Old 8-eye Doc Martens. It should all look like you've owned it forever, the collars and cuffs should be frayed, and you should wear it like you just woke up and threw on whatever was by the bed. The idea is studied nonchalance. Why? Because it'll look like you don't care about clothes, and that'll make you100 times more interesting than if you're running around town in some gothy Rick Owens get-up.

This is actually a really interesting idea. I went over to a friends house recently who has some really nice menswear, probably one of the best mens wardrobes I've come across. I probably sat in his closet for 2 hours, trying on suits, different types of pants, dress shoes, button ups, sweaters... and it all looked really nice. He even made the comment that I wore it all really well, and that the cloths and the fit said male, but the face said female, and that it gave off a very interesting look. I actually have plans to go shopping with him in the next week or two and he is going to take me to some places he gets his cloths at. I think this may actually work really well.... I'm going to see if he'll let me borrow some of his cloths for a bit.

I feel like Thom Browne is what you want

I love this suit! I am going to go to their webpage right now =)

Call me whatever, either is fine =) Everyone in real life refers to me as female, it's just easier for them because they tend to make mistakes if they try to call me him. You could just call me Van, that is my name =)

Amazing thread... there is one girl on there in a suit that I'd love to look like. I love the look of women in masculine cloths... maybe this is what I should be going for.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I like this rare, thoughtful post from you. Then again, I also like your snarky posts.

I guess that I just like it all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads