• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazon's Kindle accessories

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** cole haan, moleskine cover is $40:
500x_moleskine_kindle2.jpg

limester816

Reaction score
it wouldnt be useful for booknotes?

i'm wondering this, because the main reason i havent bought a kindle is my obsessive writing in book margins..

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816

i'm wondering this, because the main reason i havent bought a kindle is my obsessive writing in book margins..

that's the point of being able to annotate and highlight.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by limester816

You can do this on the Kindle.

To the OP, I have the Patagonia case/cover, which I'm happy with.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you have a DX or regular? Do you use it for pdfs and legal documents or just leisure?

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Be more specific.

I want to borrow e-books from my public library and read them on the Kindle or Nook, or Sony BC series, whatever.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by P. Bateman
I want to borrow e-books from my public library and read them on the Kindle or Nook, or Sony BC series, whatever.

My nook can borrow library books via Adobe Digital Editions. Also the Nook is better than the kindle because you are not stuck with just one book seller (like the Kindle). The only tempting fact about the new Kindle is that it turns pages faster than most of the EInk devices.

All that said, I like my Nook, books can be found for cheap or torrented easily, it has a web browser, and a good hacker community (also runs android).

jhva3

Reaction score
I want it for reading pdfs, legal documents and pdfed guitar music. I am guessing I absolutely need the DX, but is there any way I can just get the little one? I have pretty good eyes.

bkk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
I want it for reading pdfs, legal documents and pdfed guitar music. I am guessing I absolutely need the DX, but is there any way I can just get the little one? I have pretty good eyes.

If you're holding the Kindle at normal book-reading distance, you might be able to get away with the 6" variety. Any further and I wouldn't consider anything other than the DX. As crisp as the screens are, they're not meant to be read from a distance.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ratboycom
My nook can borrow library books via Adobe Digital Editions. Also the Nook is better than the kindle because you are not stuck with just one book seller (like the Kindle). The only tempting fact about the new Kindle is that it turns pages faster than most of the EInk devices.

All that said, I like my Nook, books can be found for cheap or torrented easily, it has a web browser, and a good hacker community (also runs android).

I looked at the nook. it's got some interesting features but a couple points:

1) amazon is almost always cheapest and if it's not the difference is marginal, so that's not really a selling point imo.
2) The one thing I like about the nook in principle is the touchscreen instead of the keyboard of the kindle. It's nifty and makes for a cleaner layout. That said, kindle 3 has a much better layout than the k2. It's slimmer, lighter, smaller, and not quite so clumsy. The downside of the touchscreen is that it provides a reflective surface for glare. Right now i read off an iphone in the subway and the glare on even a small screen surface can be annoying when you're trying to read. I also am aware that the touchscreen isn't that responsive.
3) LendMe is nice in theory. Apparently you can only lend a book once and for 2 weeks only. Usefulness seems limited but i'd really like to see amazon do something like this. I don't so much care for myself because I like to buy books, but it would be nice to be able to lend to someone.
4) The ability to borrow books is nice too, so that's another point for the nook.

jhva, I'd imagine that it would be a pain **********. You'd constantly be zooming/scrolling. Much better to get a DX if that will be the primary use. I have lots of technical books that i'd love to be able to carry around for easy reading/reference. The DX is pretty tempting but it's too big/heavy for reading comfortably with one hand imo.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkk
If you're holding the Kindle at normal book-reading distance, you might be able to get away with the 6" variety. Any further and I wouldn't consider anything other than the DX. As crisp as the screens are, they're not meant to be read from a distance.

Thanks. Looks like I am going to get the DX.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kindle = awesome.

Totally changed the way I read.. I read even more and take more notes/highlights now.. It pretty much ******* rules.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads