• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

altering sleeve length with stitching?

luo6232

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently purchased a navy borrelli blazer that is simply beautiful, however the sleeves are are about half an inch too long. I was taking it to get it tailored when my tailor told me that she would have to take the stitching by the buttons out and resew the buttons further upward to shorten the sleeve and not have it look like the buttons are right at the edge. However once she does that then she cannot resew the button stitching. Now how do you guys feel about this, should I go ahead and shorten it and take out the stitching or should I just leave it to be a tad long? I personally enjoy the look of the buttonhole, but im not sure if this detail is worth having my sleeves be too long.

Aldehyde

Reaction score
I've been told by my tailor they use a special machine to put the faux buttonhole stitching onto the sleeve, so after shortening you can either forgo the stitching, or have real buttonholes made.

I'd be interested to hear if my tailor was correct.

But definitely shorten the sleeves.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks far better to have proper length sleeves and no button holes (faux or working). Than to have sleeves that are half an inch too long and button holes (faux or working). If you are very much attached to the button holes you can see if she can shorten the sleeve at the shoulder. Which is MUCH riskier and requires far more skill. There was a thread about it 3 days or so ago, but I couldn't find it on a quick search. NVM.. Found it http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=249280

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody cares about fake button holes, because it's so hard to notice them and they aren't required by any sartorial rule. Let her do it.

Alternatively, if you really want the fake stitching (I usually do), you can find a tailor that has a machine for it; it will be only slightly more expensive.

luo6232

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the quick responses, I did not know any tailors had a machine that can resew the stitching?!?! Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma and its probably gonna be hard to find a tailor with one of those. And she maybe able but I am not willing to take the risk of doing it from the shoulder.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by luo6232
Thanks guys for the quick responses, I did not know any tailors had a machine that can resew the stitching?!?! Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma and its probably gonna be hard to find a tailor with one of those. And she maybe able but I am not willing to take the risk of doing it from the shoulder.

Since those aren't working button-holes, don't shorten from the shoulder! Also, don't let her do the fake button stitching unless she knows what she's doing and has a machine for it. I once had an incompetent tailor do it by hand and the result was horrendous. I considered it a lesson learned.

luo6232

Reaction score
Thanks guys for all the help, I decided to go back and get the sleeves done without the stitching.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you ever visit places like NY, you can have the stitches put in then.

Todd6060

Reaction score
If the sleeve has 4 buttons now could you just remove the bottom one and keep the other 3 where they are?

East Oakland

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Todd6060
If the sleeve has 4 buttons now could you just remove the bottom one and keep the other 3 where they are?

+1

I did this on a blazer that originally had four buttons on each sleeve. It allowed me to shorten the sleeves 1/2 inch.

bewing77

Reaction score
I don't see how this could be a problem at all. Most, if not all modern sewing machines have a button hole feature and it takes no special magic machine to do it on a jacket sleeve. Of course, it looks better if they are hand sewn if the tailor knows what he/she is doing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads